Talk

Advanced search

Crap experiences to date at Wythenshawe - what alternatives?

(14 Posts)
shinyblackgrape Wed 10-Oct-12 13:45:20

I am currently nearly 34 weeks pregnant with DC1. I've had pretty crap ante-natal care up til now and have decided that I don't want to go to Wythenshawe to give birth.

All my antenatal care has been at my local surgery with midwives from Wythenshawe. On average,the clinics run around 90 minutes late and I have only seen the same midwife twice. I never have any questions. However, I asked today (at 34 week appointment) about what the baby could hear as I was a bit worried as it never seems to react to loud noises. The midwife didn't know but recommended that I read a Pampers leaflet. She couldn't remember the name of it when I asked though.

My scans have been rubbish in that they couldn't do the NT test at the first 12 week scan but didn't offer me a a rescan as they should have - just the blood test so I had to pay for a private NT scan.

At my 20 week scan, the sonographer told us that she was "very suprised" that we were low risk for Down Syndrome but she couldn't elaborate as she saw things every day that caused her a "lot of concern" but mothers just had to wait and see how things were at the birth. This was at 5:30pm on a Friday so no consultants about. After I collapsed in hysterics, DH insisted that the scan was reviewed by the head of sonography who was thankfully still there. All was fine. To be fair, we were offered an apology.

I had to go to the maternity triage two weeks ago due to period like pain. The obstetrician there wrote in my notes that I had been discharged with various drugs, which I hadn't been. I didn't get anything. I had to have an internal examination and once it was over, I saw that the curtain hadn't been pulled properly and various men had been wandering past on the way to the loo. The toilet door opened just in perfect view of my spread legs at the end of the bed. Obviously, I feel great about that.

After all this, I just feel that I absolutely do not want to go to Wythenshawe to give birth. Does anyone have any views on the alternatives which seem to be Stepping Hill and St Marys?

Frankly, if I could, I would love to give birth on my own without any medical "professional" present but realise that I can't for safety reasons. However, I intend to stay at home for as long as I can during labour and only go to the hospital at the very last minute - I really don't care if I am in exruciating pain.

bluefootedpenguin Wed 10-Oct-12 17:30:38

Oh no, it does sound like you have been badly let down. I found in general that ante natal treatment is inconsistent. I rarely saw a midwife more than once and the ones I had during labour were fantastic. I was induced with 2nd dc at SH and it was all good. You will probably be surprisef how hands off midwives are in labour. Could you have a home birth if that is what you want?x

Cheddars Wed 10-Oct-12 17:56:47

I had my booking in appointment at Wythenshawe and decided I didn't like it at all. The waiting room seemed huge and it was all very impersonal.

I changed to Stepping Hill which meant I saw midwives at my gp's surgery and could build up a relationship with the same 1 or 2. I then saw the same midwives for my 2nd dc.

I would definitely change to SH or St. Mary's. At least you can feel more in control of your birth.

SoozleQ Wed 10-Oct-12 21:45:22

I had a rubbish time at Wythenshawe with my first and as a result of continuing rubbish care throughout my second pregnancy booked in for a home birth. I am currently in Wythenshawe with DD2 snoring away on my chest. Laboured at home and then had to transfer in at the end for forceps. Wythenshawe are great in an emergency and I couldn't fault them today, but I agree that they are a bit rubbish in non emergency situations. Sorry I can't help with your queries on other hospitals but just thought I'd share my current view of them.

whatsoever Wed 10-Oct-12 23:59:12

I'm booked in at St Mary's (Wythenshawe was my other choice) but to be honest, all my care so far has been from community midwives or at Trafford General so I have no idea what St Mary's will be like. My only contact has been a Saturday afternoon tour and some midwives at my ante-natal classes (which were joint St Mary's/ Wythenshawe "productions").

My friend had her baby at Stepping Hill in June and thought it was good. She said since the nurse scandal it is been less popular which conversely is great as it's quieter so you get more attention!

shinyblackgrape Thu 11-Oct-12 19:20:51

Thank you all for your responses. Really helpful.

cheddars - I am having my midwife appointments at the local GPs too. I'm very jealous that you are seeing the same ones. I'm just seeing a never ending supply of different faces.

penguin - I was seriously considering a home birth for a few days. dH was shock as I am usually massively risk averse. However, I looked online and saw that you had to have 2 midwives present and the thought of having two of them in the house in close proximity practically gives me a panic attack.

soozle - congratulations! Delighted all turned out well fir you but very interested that you had crappy care pre-birth too.

what - I'm going to book in to look round st Mary's and stepping hill too. I do have the number to speak to the supervisor of midwives at wythenshawe but not sure I actually want to.

CarrotsForRebeccaRabbit Thu 11-Oct-12 19:23:22

I had the Wythenshaw home birth team and they are SERIOUSLY AWESOME!

I've had 3 home births with them and all 3 were amazing.

LaVolcan Thu 11-Oct-12 19:26:35

The second midwife only gets called when you are near the end, if that's any help.

MerylStrop Thu 11-Oct-12 19:27:29

mm...not great so far, I can see that.

However, I just wanted to say that two of my very good friends have had all their children (I has 2 and the other 3) at Wythenshawe and they thought it was fantastic.

Whatever your choice of hospital the idea of staying at home as long as possible is a good one.

And would you consider a doula?

gymboywalton Thu 11-Oct-12 19:28:57

had both mine at stepping hill and had lovely births with both

ImNotCute Thu 11-Oct-12 19:37:57

Just because you've not been impressed so far doesn't necessarily mean you would be unhappy giving birth there. I've had both dcs there (latest in jan this year). I wasn't v impressed with the antenatal care either, but the care I received during both deliveries was great.

Just thought I'd let you know that, but obviously transfer elsewhere if you can't stand the idea of going back there!

AGreenie Thu 11-Oct-12 19:59:27

I had an awful time at wythenshawe, though the actual delivery suite were great, the antenatal care and post natal including the time on the ward after my 1st was born were terrible. Also, after my 6 week check, I had to have my episitomy scar seen to, I took my 6 week old with me, appointment was at 2 in the antenatal clinic, was finally let out at 6pm!!!! Thank goodness I was breast feeding as wouldn't have had enough bottles for sure. They left me on my own on one of those beds behind the curtains for hours as there was a gyni emergency, then it seems they forgot about me, apart from the midwife who told me to 'stop the baby from crying as it was insensitive because the lady behind the next curtain had just had a miscarriage', of course I didn't want my baby to cry, but I was crying myself and couldn't stop her and it wasn't my fault they put me and the poor lady in the same clinic - how insensitive of them! As you can probably tell, it's still raw, 6 + years later! Went to st Mary's for the next 2, there some problems with clinic times again, but not so bad, but the new hospital is really nice, my experiences were much better there (last one was 1 year ago).

Bibs123 Thu 11-Oct-12 22:22:54

I could not fault the consultant who delivered my DD at Wythenshawe, my midwife was bossy and unsympathetic, but I suppose did her job, but the after care on the ward was shockingly bad. I have heard plenty of bad stories about Stepping Hil though. I don't think there is a perfect Maternity Ward anywhere, it depends on if you get a good midwife, if the ward is quiet etc.... I think if I had another I would choose Stepping Hill as it sounds like people receive better after care. I had my antenatal appointments at Stepping Hill and there was no major problems there, I did go for a debrief at Wythenshawe and was kept waiting for 2.5 hours with a new baby.

RillaBlythe Thu 11-Oct-12 22:26:49

I had a lovely homebirth with the St Mary's midwives. The second only just made it time! I'd recommend homebirth absolutely (usual caveats in place).

Have to say though my friend just had a great experience at Wythenshawe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now