Talk

Advanced search

How painful is it?

(54 Posts)
xmasevebundle Tue 09-Oct-12 16:31:09

I keep on thinking about the pain of labour and birth.

I do want a c-section but what is birth like?

Today i had my anti-d and it was the second worse pain ever. First being a really bad water infection(i thought i was in prem labour)

The MW said, labour feels like a water infection the pain etc?

I dont know what is wrong with me i have tattoos and piercings, but its got a lot worse after the anti-d today.

I felt sick and faint, i dont know if the needles or just the pain?

MummifiedBonkeyMollocks Tue 09-Oct-12 16:35:59

Watch me get flamed!

I don't actually think its that bad. Think baout what you have at the end and it makes anything worth it!

Just think, if it was that bad, why would anyone have anymore dc's?

Positive calm thinking! Or do what i did and barely think about it at all and wing it! grin

MummifiedBonkeyMollocks Tue 09-Oct-12 16:37:08

Oh and I am crap with needles too!

I had to lie down after a blood test, I thought ' bloody hell if I can't cope with this then wtf am I going to do!' (That was the moment I decided not to think to much) wink

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 09-Oct-12 16:40:03

for me labour the first time round was more painful than I ever imagined anything could be. It was very quick, little time between contractions and I panicked. Then DS got stuck and it got even worse.

Second time better as I knew what to expect.

Fairylea Tue 09-Oct-12 16:41:01

I found the anti d fine but then I have a thyroid problem so I'm used to needles etc.

For me personally I found labour awful. Mainly in my back actually which is hard to explain but it was like someone was forcing all their pressure on my back. I suppose my dd was ! I didnt feel anything of the final stages as I had an epidural. I had a ventouse delivery.

With ds now aged 4 months I opted for an elective section and I found the pain of recovering from that less than a vaginal birth.

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 09-Oct-12 16:44:37

It is sore, but at no point during my previous two labours did I think I couldn't cope. It's a different sort of pain to an injection. It takes over your whole body but there aren't any tears! I managed with just gas and air last time. I am sure you will be fine. Positive attitude really helps.

NatashaBee Tue 09-Oct-12 16:44:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NellyBluth Tue 09-Oct-12 16:48:35

Bloody painful grin

I never got to transition or pushing <thanks god> as had an emcs but the 36 hours of labour was enough for me. But actually I think it was more the length of time than anything else. On a 'pain scale' it was about an 8 for a good 24 hours. I could have coped with more pain, I think I could have even coped with pushing without an epidural (big, big fan of pain relief talking here) but it was the sheer relentlessness of the pain that did me in. 36 hours of it getting slightly quicker, and slightly more painful. Though of course, remember that there are generally minutes between contractions for a lot of it so it is "pain, pain... oh, no pain, phew... oh, pain again" - so not like a broken bone that would be more consistent pain.

So it was the most excrutiating agony ever, but it just went on so bloody long that I'd had enough of it. It honestly was the length of time that was worse for me than the pain, because as everyone says, you know the pain is for a great, healthy reason, the pain is your body doing exactly what it should or not in my case.

But the joy of most hopsitals is that if you are finding it too painful, there are options to explore - pools, pethidine, gas & air, epidurals.

(Oh, and really, my cervix had absolutely not desire to open up at all so I know my early early my arse labour was longer than average, from what I hear most women go a lot quicker!)

wishiwasonholiday Tue 09-Oct-12 16:50:46

It is painful but luckily I had quick labours, I had ds2 in 20 mins! That was bad and I nearly passed out but it was super quick so ok.

Wolfiefan Tue 09-Oct-12 17:00:47

For most of my first labour I'd say I had strong sensation rather than pain. By the time I got to hospital I needed to breathe through the contraction. It hurt but then my waters suddenly went and I felt better. Water birth fab! My back hurt so that was wonderful. For me the only really awful bit was the actual crowning but it is over in seconds.
Remember that everything you feel is getting you closer to meeting the most amazing little person.
2nd labour so bloody quick I didn't have time to think anything other than push!

CoteDAzur Tue 09-Oct-12 17:09:07

It is more painful than a root canal where anaesthetic injection doesn't work because of infection. (I've had both).

Sorry, but you did ask smile

Make sure that you can get epidural if you ask for it.

Yorky Tue 09-Oct-12 17:23:05

I would much rather give birth again than have an injection from the dentist into the inside of my top lip under my nose to work on my front tooth. That brought tears to my eyes

TheQueensDinner Tue 09-Oct-12 17:40:28

Yes, it's really painful but it's such a brief part of pregnancy and parenthood it's really nothing to worry about.

You'll have options for pain relief so it doesn't need to hurt, but if it does, it's quickly forgotten. As other posters have said, we would do it again otherwise.

I've done it 4 times and it's so empowering. Don't be scared OP, you can do it! Trust in your body - it's designed for the job.

sittinginthesun Tue 09-Oct-12 17:44:55

It's not really pain, like you would imagine it IMO. You can't really compare it to an ani-D jab, because they are quite different pains.

And it varies so much from person to person, and labour to labour, that no one can really tell you.

(Although, my first labour was so bad that I was furious with every woman I knew for conspiring to keep me in the dark about just how awful it was! Second labour was a doodle. Hardly hurtwink).

xmasevebundle Tue 09-Oct-12 17:47:40

I did have a injection in my gums once to numb it, i just dont want to give birth at all.

I even said to my MW i doubt i will have another baby, its too much at once.

Almost fear of the unknown, more reason for a c-section i think.

Some women can do it on gas and air, if i couldnt handle the pain i dont think i would have a epidural, id too scared as it would be done super quick and i wouldnt no whats going on.

Anti-d hurt like a bitch, id rather get my tongue pierced another 2 times, it wasn't numbed when it was pierced either! Didnt hurt one bit!

Is birth like a water infection?

Fairylea Tue 09-Oct-12 18:07:06

Birth is NOTHING like a water infection or even a kidney infection actually. Says me who suffers from chronic urine and kidney infections and takes long term antibiotics.

Birth is completely different. And more .. much more... painful. Sorry.

xmasevebundle Tue 09-Oct-12 18:12:35

Oh mysad

I couldnt handle the water infection how am i going to cope with labour?

I want a c-section 100% now!!!!!!!!!

Fairylea Tue 09-Oct-12 18:15:28

But you can have pain relief ... I don't want to scare you!

Have you considered an epidural ?

Also you may cope fine with the pain. Different things are painful for different people. My personal experience may not be the same for you.

A c section isn't pain free either. I found mine better than a vaginal birth but other people find recovery very hard. And some people like my mil have a pain free vaginal birth and don't know what all the fuss is about !!!

MaryZed Tue 09-Oct-12 18:15:31

It doesn't really matter how painful it it, so don't waste mental energy thinking about it. The baby has to get out, so it isn't as though you can decide now "oh it's too painful, I won't bother".

No-one can tell you anyway because it is different for everyone; some have easy births, some have high pain thresholds, some get into hospital in time to be drugged up, some people are more or less affected by painkillers.

I had an epidural and an emergency cs. I was fine, painwise (walking within 12 hours, off morphine after 24). The woman in the bed next to me hadn't even left her bed when I went home.

Stop worrying. When it happens, it happens, and you will cope. Everyone does.

wishiwasonholiday Tue 09-Oct-12 18:21:13

I've had 2 fast painful births but the pain stops as soon as the baby's born, I'd much rather that then a c section and weeks of pain after but that's my view, other people see it totally different my sil wants a c section for convenience but she has loads of family to help her.

Fairylea Tue 09-Oct-12 18:26:27

I suppose one way of looking at it is whether you'd rather have the pain before.... or after smile in that if you have a vaginal birth you have the contractions and if you have a section you have the recovery !

Don't let any of it put you off having a child though. There's lots of pain relief you can have for whatever you choose and having a baby is a wonderful experience.

And I say that as someone who had quite traumatic deliveries with both my babies.

wildpoppy Tue 09-Oct-12 18:27:19

Take the drugs

TheonlyWayisGerard Tue 09-Oct-12 18:33:34

Honestly? I maintain that my back tattoo was worse. At least there was a gap between contractions. I didn't have an epidural either. And had a 3rd/4th degree tear. It was painful obviously but not as bad as I thought.

SushiPaws Tue 09-Oct-12 18:36:19

My first was very zen, water birth, uncomfortable contractions that felt like period pains or constipation. But could talk and joke in between contractions right up until dd arrived, which was beautiful as I caught her.

Second was feet in stirrups on my back, ds came like a rocket and it was the most painful experience I've ever had.

Every birth is different.

neontetra Tue 09-Oct-12 18:38:33

I've had kidney stones, and the contractions in early labour are a bit like that. Once you get to the pushing bit its not so bad - very primal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now