Talk

Advanced search

Water birth, what's the room like?

(9 Posts)
AliceHurled Sat 06-Oct-12 17:14:33

I'm just curious really. Is the room like a swimming pool, as in that kind of floor, smell, acoustic etc? Or is it more like a bathroom? Or just like a hospital room with a pool stuck in it?

I know there's no life guard or dive bombing posters grin but beyond that I can't picture it.

5madthings Sat 06-Oct-12 17:17:28

at my hospital its like a standard delivery room but bigger, still has a bed and a little cot for the baby and all the resusitation/warming units for the baby etc. the lights could dim (but they could in all rooms) it had an en-suit bathroom with a shower and a toilet and no it was at all smelly or acoustic like a swimming pool!

5madthings Sat 06-Oct-12 17:17:50

it WASNT

oddslippers Sat 06-Oct-12 17:18:01

It's not really a pool, more like a giant bath in a hospital room. And doesn't smell cos no chlorine. Certainly no "no heavy petting warnings" grin

glendathegoodwitch Sat 06-Oct-12 18:31:46

Alice - does your hospital not have a website with a video tour or pictures? Or at the very least a guided tour?

The unit I work on has 2 birthing pools and they are like big hot tubs but are more shaped with inbuilt steps and seats as well as handles - google birthing pools in hopsitals.

They are both in rooms with beds, hoists, en suite bathrooms etc... And are more intimate. The lights can dim and both pools have an underwater light which is lovely in the evening.

The rooms do get really really humid so you will need to drink lots as will your partner.

Good luck I can't wait for my water birth in a few weeks time!!!

MikeLitorisBites Sat 06-Oct-12 18:37:52

Mine was on a clu so might be different on mlu, but it was just like a bigger delivery room with a really big bath. I'll see if I can find a pic and show you.

AliceHurled Sat 06-Oct-12 19:52:09

Thanks all. Glenda, no tour which surprises me. I think I could have gone to a wb talk and watched a PowerPoint that had photos.

HarlettOScara Sat 06-Oct-12 19:54:47

oddslipper, they probably reckon it's a bit late for the 'no heavy petty' warnings...about 9 months too late!

whatsoever Sat 06-Oct-12 22:52:45

Bit different from the above descriptions at my hospital. Very small room. No bed. The pool is shorter but much deeper than a bath with steps to get in. En suite bathroom but instead of a bed there was a sort of couchy-bean bag thing to encourage active birth if you want to get out of the pool.

No idea where MW & DH will put themselves as didn't appear to be any seats - hope they bring some in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now