Talk

Advanced search

Still bleeding? Why??

(6 Posts)
Wearsuncream Fri 05-Oct-12 21:29:40

Im seven weeks post emcs - at about five weeks it tailed off to a sort of snotty mucous that was redish brownish. Then at five and a half weeks I started bleeding again - very similar to a period (and annoying as I got away with not having a period for MONTHS after my other children) a small break of a few days where it tailed off again and now it's like I've started another period..?!? I'm breastfeeding if that makes a difference...? Any ideas anyone?

queenofthepirates Fri 05-Oct-12 21:30:51

I had something like this but if you're in any way concerned, call NHS Direct and get their opinion x

MissPricklePants Fri 05-Oct-12 21:33:33

I bled for 14 weeks after having my dd as I had a uterine infection that wouldn't shift. It was very painful. Perhaps you are overdoing it? Speak to NHS direct or your gp if you are worried.

RancerDoo Fri 05-Oct-12 21:37:59

I always bled for more than six weeks after emcs. It very much worried me because the book I had said it would stop in ten days!

My sister lives near a hospital which did a survey on this and reported a normal range of experience which included bleeding for several weeks. So, if you're not in pain or producing large clots or feeling ill, and if the blood doesn't smell don't fret. Try not to overdo it and go to the GP in a couple of weeks if you are still concerned.

Wearsuncream Fri 05-Oct-12 21:53:40

thanks -what counts as overdoing it though...?! Im naturally quite lazy so dont consider myself to ever overdo anything... ??!! it doesnt smell and Im not in pain... just very inconvinient!!

Fresh01 Fri 05-Oct-12 22:02:30

I had this with DD1. Finally the GP and OB deemed it to be an issue rather than a fustration after 10 weeks. I had an ultrasound and had a tiny bit of retained placenta. The bleeding was my body trying to flush the foreign object out. I went in for a D&C (in and out of hospital in a few hours and didn't affect breast feeding) when DD1 was 12 weeks old and the piece of retained placenta was the size of the top of your pinkie finger. I had no smelly discharge or any other symptoms.

Like you my bleeding would ease off to almost nothing then come back. If you still have it in a week or two it may be worth asking for an ultrasound to check it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now