Talk

Advanced search

Homebirth vs Home Water Birth

(20 Posts)
PollyIndia Tue 02-Oct-12 20:49:09

I am 40+5 and had discounted home waterbirth just because of the palava of putting it all up and clearing it up afterwards (the baby's father won't be around to help), but now, at 40+5, I've been persuaded by my doula that it would be a good idea to have a pool.

Before I shell out £100 for a pool that will arrive when I am 41 weeks pg, do people really think it is worth it? Obviously there is a strong possibility I may not even get my homebirth. I had been thinking I would use the bath - is a pool THAT much better?

I need to order before midday tomorrow for it to arrive thursday. Nothing like being prepared eh?! I think I have surpassed even myself!

I can return the pool I suppose if I don't use it. Any advice?

ImpYCelyn Tue 02-Oct-12 21:12:58

Don't think "strong possibility I may not even get my homebirth" - positive thinking is what you need at 40+5 smile

I had a pool for both of mine. First time I got in and couldn't believe how much it helped with the contractions. But I got very hot just before the baby was born and got out, so DS1 was born out of the pool.

With DS2 I didn't feel like it made such a massive difference with the contractions, but DS2 was born in the water, which was amazing.

I would definitely like to have one if I give birth again, so I do think it's worth it. Your doula doesn't have one or know anyone that does?

Make sure you blow it up as soon as it arrives, that way you've only got to get the water in when you need it.

Also, if you get one with a liner you can sell it even if you do use it.

NoIdeaWhyTheNameChange Tue 02-Oct-12 21:20:41

It depends how much of a water person you are. I haven't had a bath in 5 years, and it doesn't bother me. (I have had lots of showers!)

I wouldn't have wanted a water birth, but did get into the bath when the contractions were strong (I had heard water could slow the birth down if you were less than 5cm dilated, and at that point I really wanted to slow the birth down.....I was probably a lot more than 5 cm dilated though, with hindsight). Being in the water was nice, and helpful.

If you can afford it, I think you should go for it, just so the option is there. Unless you really don't want to (in which case you wouldn't be asking!)

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 02-Oct-12 21:21:22

Nevermind your Doula, what do you want?!

I had home waterbirths and the pain relief from warm water is AMAZING. You wouldn't be able to get the same depth of water in a bath imo.

Also if you birth the baby and deliver the placenta in the pool, the bodily fluids are contained grin

Remember that you can just labour in the pool, you don't have to deliver in it if you don't feel like it.

Sossiges Tue 02-Oct-12 21:23:02

Watching (as also can't decide smile)

cbeebiesatemybrain Tue 02-Oct-12 21:26:45

I had a homebirth without a pool because I couldn't be arsed with faffing about setting it up and filling it. It was still a lovely relaxed birth and I don't feel at all that I missed out by not having a pool. Some friends of mine had a pool and said it was lovely but they had more space and longer labours than me so more time to get it set up. If you're going to be stressed with getting it ready then its surely a bit counterproductive?

Also (and I'm sure you don't need me to tell you this) you can refuse induction and still have a homebirth if you get that far. Good luck smile

Downbytheocean Tue 02-Oct-12 21:32:58

I loved the pool. It was an amazing stage for me, the weightlessness, the warm soothing water, being able to sort of float through the contractions. I could not imagine labour without it. When the mw told me I was 6 cm and could get in I felt so happy. Ds2 was 9lb15 and he was delivered in the water. best thing ever.

DH cleaned it after and it said it was a tough job though.

PollyIndia Tue 02-Oct-12 21:38:02

Cbeebiesatemybrain, yes, I know that - but might be ready to have the baby by then too. Right now I feel fine, but I guess a lot can change in 9 days at this stage of the game. I agree that if it's a cause of stress then it is counter-productive, which is why I had decided against it, but for some reason now, I am starting to think it might be nice. Slightly odd timing at nearly a week overdue!

ImpYCelyn, absolutely you are right - positive thinking is the right thing... but the reality is that one of the voices in my head saying don't bother is because it will be wasted if I don't use it, and I wouldn't use it if I ended up going in to be induced.

But I am not thinking about that right now.

What do I want.. I am not sure. I've not done this before. Initially I thought it was too much hassle, especially as I am single - sorting out the pool is a good job for the OH. But then the doula said don't let the fact that my ex isn't around be the only reason I don't have a pool - she has said she will set up and take down, and my sister has said she will help.

Iliketomoveit and noideanamechange, thanks for your comments. Honestly, I probably can't afford it (just as generally need to save money for maternity leave), but it's not like I am spending money on anything else these days!

Thanks for your input - I know as an adult I should be able to make these decisions on my own, but it's good to get different opinions! smile

PollyIndia Tue 02-Oct-12 21:39:11

Downbytheocean, your post has made me want to get it - other than the clearing out. Bleurgh!

discrete Tue 02-Oct-12 21:47:49

I loved the water in both the dcs' births...in fact for ds2 the birth was so quick that I was sat there waiting for the pool to be ready, and 3 contractions after I got in (at one point I declared that I was getting in, whether it was ready or not) ds2 shot out.

If I hadn't been in the water he would probably have banged his head!

I can't imagine giving birth without water, tbh.

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Tue 02-Oct-12 21:52:58

No one will make you clean it when you have just had a baby. Your doula should do it.

Being in a pool is a world away from being in a bath. The total immersion is what you need for the great pain relief! I loved mine.

PollyIndia Tue 02-Oct-12 22:09:25

Right, I did it - thinking positive! I've got my stress balls, clary sage and birth pool - surely this is going to be easy!

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Tue 02-Oct-12 22:12:47

The great thing about a home birth pool is no sod can tell you you aren't dilated enough to get in. If you need the break, you get in. Even if you need to get out and stomp around a bit if your contractions slow.

I luuuurved my pool.

You also have the most important thing if you have a doula - someone whose whole focus is you and who also knows what they are doing!

ziptoes Tue 02-Oct-12 22:31:56

I second (third?) getting a liner. Will take way less time for your Doula to empty. DH drained the water with the pump that came with the pool - it had a reverse setting on it. Went onto the roses - I guess they probably liked it! Then the liner plus stuff went into the bin. Pool's been used by at least two other women as far as i know. Don't know if the third sold/gave it on.

Enjoy it! I'd do it all again in a shot as long as I didn't have to be pregnant first and then have to bring up another baby!

lalabaloo Tue 02-Oct-12 22:45:26

Pollyindia, I remember your thread about finding out you were pregnant, can't believe you are due already! (i appreciate it may feel like you have been pregnant for a lifetime to you, just seems to have gone quickly!) I had a homebirth without a pool, I love water but we just didn't have space for a pool, I used a TENS machine which I loved, do you have one of those?

Badgerina Tue 02-Oct-12 23:37:43

Polly I think you will like the pool smile Since you've thought about using the bath tub, you're clearly drawn to water.

PollyIndia Wed 03-Oct-12 07:29:59

I got it and I got the liner, so this baby has a week to make an appearance so we get to have a lovely home water birth.

Lalabaloo, it has gone fast for me too! I do have a TENS machine too. Fully kitted out.

Youlllaughabout this yes, I think my doula will be really helpful. She was a midwife before, so she knows the system.

Thanks ziptoes and badgerina. You are due soon aren't you badgerina? Any signs?

Badgerina Wed 03-Oct-12 09:01:55

I'm 11 days over Polly!

I've had a sweep, I'm 1cm dilated and soft, lost lots of mucous plug and having mild VERY IRREGULAR tightenings and period cramps. MW is coming for a second sweep today grin

I'm feeling good because all these pre-labour niggles mean effacement is happening and perhaps a little early dilation. Hopefully means when things kick off (tonight hopefully!) it'll be quick grin

We live in hope wink

Downbytheocean Wed 03-Oct-12 09:51:35

Good choice, I highly recommend tens too. Good luck smile

PollyIndia Wed 03-Oct-12 11:03:26

Sorry, I knew you were overdue Badgerina! Well, all sounds promising as you say. So fingers crossed or you on the second sweep smile

Thanks Downbytheocean

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now