Talk

Advanced search

C-section scar healing - when can I use oil etc?

(4 Posts)
Emmiedarling Sun 30-Sep-12 13:19:31

Okay so I had my c-section last Tuesday. I want to know how to look after it, when I can use my 'no scar' oil from Mama Mio and general advice about getting better the quickest I can.

Just taking paracetamol now, but lots of pain 'inside' when getting out of bed - like a ripping feeling.

The area is incredibly swollen and my belly enormous! Is this going to last long?!!!

Smallgreenone Wed 03-Oct-12 09:51:32

I started using Clarins oil after the first week.
Took a couple of weeks for my belly to go down and it was gradual, a little bit each day. I'm nearly 6 weeks post op now and can get back into some jeans- not my skinny ones though!
Think the pain totally went at about 3 weeks.
I hated my c section and the fact it takes so long to recover but its much easier now at nearly 6 weeks and the scar really isn't so bad.
Good luck with recovery

beckymcfc Fri 05-Oct-12 13:32:35

I had an emergency section 8 months ago and you can barely see my scar now, it's gone almost white and I didn't use anything at all on it. I isimply kept it dry, wore big pants up to my belly button (very sexy) for as long as I was in discomfort and took it easy. It's strange but you do so much more every day, when Ic ame home from hospital I struggled sitting on the toilet and standing up again, a few days later I could pick things up off the floor and 5 weeks after the birth I was driving again, although felt able at 4 weeks.

I'd make sure the wound is properly healed before you start clogging it up with oils as they say to keep it dry to prevent infection. Hang in there

duchesse Fri 05-Oct-12 13:43:15

Congratulations on the birth of your LO!

As long as it's not infected and you usually heal well, it should heal with very little scarring. My CS scar is less visible than my knicker elastic- in fact if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't know iyswim. It was definitely still pink at 8 m though- it looked liked my knicker elastic mark then. In fact it's only in the last year that it's completely disappeared.

It did develop some little keloid nodules, but I massaged it with vitamin E (wheatgerm oil) from about 8 weeks on and they disappeared. What hasn't come back entirely is the sensation just above the scar- but even that is still improving 3 years on.

Hang in there! It's really early days- the tummy will go down and the scar will virtually go. Be very careful not to let it get infected though- report any extra pain to your midwife or doctor as quickly as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now