Talk

Advanced search

EGA Birthing centre

(5 Posts)
MrsMicawber Sat 29-Sep-12 22:46:59

I'm 39+3 and registered at UCLH. I was very happy there with my dd, had an epidural on the labour ward. As I'm not planning to have an epidural this time, and I'm low risk, the midwife put me down for the birthing centre. There are no tours available and I just decided to have a look at their online tour.... and I'm so disappointed. The room is basic bare except for a pool (and I'm told only 2 out of the 6 rooms have a pool) a yoga mat, a bean bag, and what looks like a dining room chair, presumably for DH to sit on. Nowhere to rest, no ball...

Homerton (where I had DS before it was revamped, and had an awful experience) and whittington seem to be kitted out with double bed, birthing stools, balls, and all kinds of gymnastic apparatus.

Thoughts?

TeaDr1nker Sat 29-Sep-12 22:48:43

U anywhere near edgeware birth centre? How about there?

MrsMicawber Sat 29-Sep-12 22:50:21

No I'll be in Hackney

Pleasenomorepeppa Mon 01-Oct-12 20:12:53

I've only heard amazing things about The Whitingtons Birth Centre. The Labour Ward is a bit grim though!

squiggleywiggler Mon 01-Oct-12 22:18:23

I'm a fan of Homerton birth centre - great facilities and they have blow-up pools for the rooms that don't have built in ones (in fact hese can even be used on the labour ward).

Not so wild about UCLH as, anecdotally, I find everything becomes 'high-risk' there. I'm a doula by the way, not a woman who's had 30 children.

I'm an even bigger fan of the Homerton homebirth team (and one MW in particular whose number I can give you if you DM me) - even if homebirth is a very small thought on your horizon the team are v happy to take you on and support you with brilliant 1-2-1 antenatal care while you decide. At all the births I've been to with them one of the homebirth team has been present for some if not all of the labour even if it ends up being a high-risk hospital birth.

Homerton postnatal ward is pretty rubbish and the breastfeeding support is often found wanting...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now