Talk

Advanced search

Lot's of pain following a membrane sweep!

(19 Posts)
cherryflavourkisses09 Sat 29-Sep-12 17:25:56

Hi everyone,

I had a sweep yesterday morning at 41 weeks and since 8pm last night I have been in agony sad
The sweep went well and I was very soft, she got straight in easily, and I was 1-2cm dilated and only 1.5cm long.
I lost my bloody show at 8pm and been having sharp pains coming and going in my back and lower tummy since. I figure I'm in the very early stages as the midwife said on the phone it sounds like I'm going through the effacement period. I'm getting on with it the best I can just so exhausted and overwhelmed by the pain. I had a sweep with my first child 9days over and went straight into labour at 4pm and had her by 9pm.

I've heard of people being in labour for days and I'm guessing this is what they meant. I have since lost another bloody show about half an hour ago and the pain isn't easing but also won't turn into labour. Very frustrating!

Has anyone been in the same position? Terrified I'm going to be like this until I'm induced in 5 days sad

karinajack Sat 29-Sep-12 17:37:40

Just watching. I had a sweep on Thursday and had pains but they died down by evening. I think I lost my plug this morning and have had back ache alday but baby is still moving lots is this normal? How long is this going to take I was induced with ds and didnt even have braxton hicks so I have no idea when ill be in labour. Please someone get this baby out I'm sick of curries pineapple sex walking and scrubbing skirting boards lol

Mikyahrose Sat 29-Sep-12 20:17:30

I've had my 2nd sweep today at 40+11, first one was weds. I cant help really with regards to pain. i've felt ok.
Weds sweep the midwife said i was unefface and rigid. Todays, i was fully efaced and soft 'like a blamange'.
I'm booked in for an induction on Monday, but the mw was hopefully that labour will start naturally before the weekend is over.

Runningblue Sat 29-Sep-12 20:22:12

Oh god, poor you, I haven't anything helpful apart from i had swwps last time, esp in the early stages of a v long labour, and it was the worst pain...

have you dosed up on paracetamol? As in not just taken two paracetamol,but ensured you take a further dose when allowed etc? I was so insulted last time by being told to take paracetamol as the pain was so fricking bad that I didn't bother taking it- stupid me, anything is worth a try..!
Perhaps a very deep bath - cover up the overflow with a facecloth so you can fill the water as high as you can.

cherryflavourkisses09 Sat 29-Sep-12 21:22:27

It is indeed horrendously painful, sometimes they're reaching 9/10 on the pain rating! They won't see me until I'm having a text book labour though.. I'm taking co-codamol as the midwife said I can. It's horrible how you just get left alone to deal with this stage then they turn around to you and say 'Ohhh that's the worst bit you're over now'.. Well thank you very much, I probably could of done with some of those strong drugs now lol! Even if they can't have you at the delivery suite they could at least have you on a ward if you're really struggling to cope. I live alone with my 3yr old and I had a horrible one earlier and I couldn't even reply to her when she was asking if I was ok sad My family are only 10mins away if I really need them just trying to stay strong. I did try a bath yeah, didn't help at all. Went to the toilet again and there's more bloody show coming away with bright red streaks of blood in. Oohh deary me, isn't child birth fun! Lol. I'm hoping that since I'm having such a horrendous time now it might mean my actual labour isn't as long. Wishful thinking I think!

Runningblue Sat 29-Sep-12 21:38:30

Well thats the end of my list! Birthing ball, any other helpful positions, chewing in a bone... .!? I had a very long early labour and it was shit, horrid, like you say, you need the hard drugs and tlc now.. Fingers crossed, it is so painful as labour will kick in soon, keeping everything crossed for you

Any chance you can hatch a plan for a bit of family support seeing as they're so close - overnight stay from a relative so you get a bit of support for you and dc?

cherryflavourkisses09 Sat 29-Sep-12 22:48:15

My birthing ball and walking round the house brings on the pains but it's just getting past this crappy stage that's taking the time.
Thank you, I really appreciate it. Hopefully this will kick off something soon.

Well my Mam had her last night overnight which helped and she's texting and ringing all the time to see how I am. If I needed her to take my girl or take me down she'd be here in a flash. Just trying to occupy myself so I'm not sitting here miserable because I broke down before.

If I'm still like this tomorrow I'm going to ask them to check me over as I think I've dealt with just about as much as I can on my own now.

cherryflavourkisses09 Sun 30-Sep-12 02:57:09

Contracting every 10mins really strong just been into hosp and she said I'll be back in today and most likely have my baby before midnight smile

cherryflavourkisses09 Sun 30-Sep-12 02:58:14

Oh and I've progressed quite a bit and quite quickly since my sweep. Just need to dilate a little bit more and I'll be in established labour as I'm completely effaced now

HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Sun 30-Sep-12 03:02:06

Good luck! You'll be cuddling your baby before you know it! smile

cherryflavourkisses09 Sun 30-Sep-12 03:14:08

Thank you smile Ohh I hope so, can't wait now!

Ilovecake1 Sun 30-Sep-12 08:12:15

Any news yet?

Runningblue Sun 30-Sep-12 19:49:15

Hi cherry, fingers crossed you've got a bit more than paracetamol by now and on the hard stuff (I loved gas and air- 3 tanks worth!) ....

or even better the fruits of all that labour...?

cherryflavourkisses09 Mon 01-Oct-12 12:09:50

Well, I ended up back in hosp yesterday and stayed in. At lunch time she checked me again and said since I was only 2cm I could go home. I was happy with this as the pain had settled a tad after a good rest.

However, after the examination my Mam came to take me home. We stayed at the hosp for an hour waiting to be discharged and as soon I walked round I started getting excruciating pains 1min apart. I was in tears and my Mam spoke to the midwife who was a complete cow and said I was basically making it up and putting on a show because my Mam was there because I was fine before she turned up. The pains came on more intense I was besides myself with pain and my Mam made her check me. On examination I was she found I was 4cm and I got taken down to delivery. The labour progressed so fast and I had her 3 hours later. 16:42 Imogen Rose was born at a gorgeous little 6lb 10oz.
The midwife's face when I came back on the ward at half 5 was a picture.

I have never in my life been so desperate for help, screaming out for it and she wouldn't listen. I pretty much got through the worse of it on paracetamol it was horrendous!

I managed the rest on gas and air and we're both doing great. Should be going home today smile

cbeebiesatemybrain Mon 01-Oct-12 12:45:32

Congratulations! Gorgeous name too smile

Runningblue Mon 01-Oct-12 19:06:02

Well done and congratulations, so pleased for you!
And just proves you knew your body best, not the old bag of a midwife- how satisfying it must have been to show off your newborn when she doubted your progress earlier...

cherryflavourkisses09 Mon 01-Oct-12 21:53:12

Thanks both of you smile

I know! Was so angry but yes it was.. Verrryy satisfying!

HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Mon 01-Oct-12 23:55:43

How awful for the midwife to have such an attitude though, we'll done for coping and many congratulations on the birth of your little girl! Hope you're enjoying lots of snuggles now smile

cherryflavourkisses09 Tue 02-Oct-12 18:06:52

I know, it was horrible. Not nice when you're so vulnerable and get treat like that. Thank you very much smile I certainly am. Love her to bits!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now