Talk

Advanced search

Please recommend me some beautiful classical music for my labour playlist

(27 Posts)
HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Wed 26-Sep-12 15:38:46

I've got a playlist of my favourite songs set up already. Some might call it an eclectic mix but I've just chosen songs I love rather than focussing on them having to be especially relaxing. I've also got my hypnobirthing cd ready to go, now I'm thinking I'd like to have a classics playlist as well.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a lovely 'drift away' type playlist. I like mostly mainstream, well known pieces but am open to discovering new ones too. To give you an idea my favourite ever piece is Air on the G string by Bach.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated, I have induction booked for Saturday and reckon I'll need all the help relaxing that I can!

grimbletart Wed 26-Sep-12 16:39:08

The Intermezzo from Cavelleria Rusticana perhaps?

KeithLeMonde Wed 26-Sep-12 16:42:25

I had both of the Rachmaninov piano concerti <sorry for wanky italian> on my list.

How about investigating one of those Classic FM "relaxing classics" type collections?

NatashaBee Wed 26-Sep-12 16:44:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

milk Wed 26-Sep-12 16:50:23

Hans Zimmer, the Composer who did the music for The Simpsons Movie grin

HaggisNeepsTatties Wed 26-Sep-12 17:09:52

I've got this album which has some great relaxing classical music

www.amazon.co.uk/Classical-Chillout-Various-Artists/dp/B00005OBTF

Wearsuncream Wed 26-Sep-12 19:55:30

Pachabel - Canon in D - predictable but lovely all the same!

SchrodingersMew Wed 26-Sep-12 20:16:35

Einaudi I love listening to him, the music is beautiful

HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Thu 27-Sep-12 18:10:50

Thank you all there's some really beautiful suggestions, I'm off to raid amazon & iTunes and fill up my iPod before Saturday. smile

OfflineFor30Years Thu 27-Sep-12 18:26:42

Massenet's Meditation de Thais is quite soothing.

Also try The Lark Ascending

BananaCarpets Thu 27-Sep-12 18:31:43

Oh, don't go yet! Yo-Yo ma plays the prelude to bach's cello suite no.1 is just the most beautiful peace of music. Turn it up as loud as you can and let it wash over you. Absolute bliss.

coffeeandcream Thu 27-Sep-12 18:32:32

Miserere, full name "Miserere mei, Deus" (Latin: "Have mercy on me, O God") by Italian composer Gregorio Allegri is one of my all time favourites, hauntingly beautiful.

The Flower Duet from the opera Lakmé, also a beautiful piece.

"Für Elise" and The Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven are classic piano pieces.

Vaughan Williams Fantasia On Greensleeves, lovely well known relaxation piece.

Enjoy!!

SuoceraBlues Thu 27-Sep-12 18:36:53

seconding Lakmè, The Flower Duet

Tis wonderful.

jkklpu Thu 27-Sep-12 18:39:10

Mozart's clarinet concerto

SmokyClav Thu 27-Sep-12 18:44:50

I can't imagine giving birth to any of these! (Well, vaughan-williams at a stretch)
I recall my births being more Tchaikovsky's 1812 or Beethoven's Ode to Joy grin

bigwombat Thu 27-Sep-12 18:49:22

Paul Mealor "Ubi Caritas et Amor" - sung at Royal Wedding.

NatashaBee Thu 27-Sep-12 19:06:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Fri 28-Sep-12 21:31:25

Done smile Thank you for all your suggestions, I've got a nice long playlist now which even if I never get to use it in labour after all will certainly get played lots anyway. Now I've just got to convince this baby to come tonight of its own accord so I can avoid induction tomorrow!

kerala Fri 28-Sep-12 21:34:00

Pick something you hate as you will never be able to listen to it again. I chose Abba (pregnancy psychosis) and even now have to leave the room when Dancing Queen comes on. Also dont do what my friend did and faff about with your music choices whilst in early labour thinking you have ages thereby delaying your trip to hospital thereby having the baby in the back of a cab delivered by your DH and the driver.

HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Fri 28-Sep-12 22:13:21

Oh my gosh, in the back of a cab?! That's certainly not the nice relaxing birth pool I had in mind!

I didn't listen to anything when in labour with DD and wish I had been a bit more prepared, this time no doubt now I'm all prepared I still won't buy at least in my mind I'm ready!

MrsHoolie Sun 30-Sep-12 13:13:24

Corelli Christmas Concerto for strings.

Thumbwitch Sun 30-Sep-12 13:18:40

Night on Bald Mountain by Mussorgsky. Not exactly relaxing but might be better for you. smile

SmokyClav Mon 01-Oct-12 21:58:47

Hope all went well heffalumps!

HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Mon 01-Oct-12 23:51:06

It was fantastic I was so very lucky, waters broken at half 6 in the pool by 8 and DD2 arrived at 9! I used loads of your suggestions ladies and it was wonderful to be able to float away to a beautiful soundtrack, definitely helped keep me calm so thank you all for your input! smile

SmokyClav Tue 02-Oct-12 00:06:47

How lovely and calm! Many congratulations grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now