Talk

Advanced search

Niece kept in for very high blood pressure after giving birth.

(8 Posts)
triplets Tue 25-Sep-12 22:59:25

Looking for advice. My lovely niece had her first baby on Sat morning. She was 2 weeks overdue, she was induced. Her whole pregnancy was perfect, she just sailed thru with no problems. She gave birth to Jacob at 9am last Sat, just a 5 hour labour, on gas and air. Since then her blood pressure has shot up, they don`t know why. They have tried her on two drugs to bring it down, it does for a couple of hours then shoots back up, they are talking of figures in the 100`s. So this is her 5th night and she is getting herself worked up because she wants to come home. Any advice please?

newby2 Wed 26-Sep-12 08:41:31

Hiya, Quite often when over-due a pre pre-eclampsia type thing can start to develop and by the time the baby comes the body is actually starting to say "get that baby out" hence fast labour and delivery as bp increases.

I had full-on pre-eclampsia and spent 3 weeks in hosp with my dd afterwards getting bp under control (was very poorly before birth though) but met many women who had strange things happen after birth.

Tell her not to worry, the body calms down very soon and she will be able to go home, another couple of days should do it. I went home on Labetalol which was great and weaned myself off within a week or 2. It can be normal to go home on those drugs for around 6 weeks but as she didn't have a diagnosed bp issue before, Id say it's just her body adjusting and they cant discharge her until her bp is reasonable.

mayhew Wed 26-Sep-12 12:35:11

She was probably brewing this in pre delivery. As the previous poster said, the body often helps by getting the baby out quickly.Most of these unstable high BPs start to stabilise by 5 days postnatal. Its good they kept her in because it can be unpredictable and severe, leading to eclampsia (fits). Once 5 days have passed its much less likely that such things happen. Then the woman can go home on medication and be followed up by GP and mw. It can take 6 weeks to settle.

triplets Wed 26-Sep-12 13:54:58

Thank you both, she is still in and from what you have said its the safest place for her atm.

newby2 Thu 27-Sep-12 09:53:59

Hiya, any change with the bp today?

triplets Thu 27-Sep-12 23:46:56

Hi, having a horrible day here, my beautiful beautiful cat has been missing for 2 days, got a call at 9pm tonight he was run over y/day......I amso upset and the kids are beside themselves.....
Got a call from my sil just after the call about Ollie, Jen and baby were discharged this pm, by 5pm she was on her way back in, she developed a nasty headache and severe tingling in her hands. Her partner is home with the baby, she will be missing him like mad. They have put her back in the maternity unit too! Very worried about her, they app have run several tests and say it is not pre-eclampsia. What a horrible time atm, getting fed up with life when its so cruel. Recently lost my mum so just feel like bawling.

surfmama Thu 27-Sep-12 23:57:05

awww triplets sorry to hear your words, sounds like a shit day. hope your niece gets well soon and you feel better after a sleep, poor puss cat. and i know losing your mum must be quite awful mine is very unwell at mo and i will bawl with you x

triplets Fri 28-Sep-12 00:06:32

sorry to hear your Mum is unwell, do all you can and have no regrets xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now