Talk

Advanced search

Hospital bag for C Section..

(9 Posts)
Fisharefriendsnotfood Mon 24-Sep-12 16:34:52

This is dc3 but will be my first C section. I know I'll be in longer and obviously won't need a lot of the stuff packed for labour..

Anyone got any tips please?

BiscuitNibbler Mon 24-Sep-12 16:39:18

Huge cotton pants - really high waist to avoid the scar and roomy enough for the massive maternity pads you will need (at the beginning I needed two in at a time).

Loose trousers, also with high waist. Channel your inner Simon Cowell.

Jollyb Mon 24-Sep-12 16:54:02

Yes yes yes to huge knickers. Yoga pants were very comfy too. You'll have to wear stockings post op so it's a good idea to take open slippers/birkenstocks rather than flip flops as you won't be able to get the bar between your toes. Can't think of anything else out of the ordinary. Good luck.

oscarwilde Mon 24-Sep-12 18:00:01

If you can find a washbag or all in one shower/shampoo thingy that you can hang up, that's really handy. Pack everything so you don't have to bend down and particularly so you can minimise rummaging through a bag.
Shoes that don't have laces but I suspect you are there already in late preg.
Facial wipes - you may be confined to bed in a fetching pair of surgical stockings (white - just because you didn't think your thighs could look any larger right now grin) with a cathether for the first 24 hrs.
Wipes for the bathroom. Other patients can be really dirty.
Hairbrush, hair bands etc.
Snacks - or cash for the vending machine
Definitely yoga pants to come home in.
Phone charger
Earplugs or headphones. Tricky with the baby but sometimes you can just really need to tune out a nearby visitor.
Lansinoh / feeding stuff.
Dressing gown and slippers/swim flip flops without a toe bar.

MsMoo Tue 25-Sep-12 08:21:08

A flannel or wipes, as u won't be able to get out of bed easily so for the first few hours being able to refresh your face will b difficult. Peppermint tea helps settle your digestive system which is likely to b a bit mixed up after the anaesthetic.

There's a useful book Caesarean Birth: A positive approach to preparation and recovery by Leigh East available in Amazon www.tiskimo.com/birth that has loads of info on preparation on every level. Because there's lots of things to prepare at home too like the changing station being all on one level etc.

TwelveLeggedWalk Tue 25-Sep-12 08:58:52

Second making sure you can hang up shower gel etc as never shelves in the shower and bending down is oooowwwweeee!
Dried apricots for fibre and iron.
Moisturiser and body lotion because you might itch like crazy afterwards and hospitals make your skin dry.
Arnica tablets for bruising.

RunningOutOfIdeas Tue 25-Sep-12 09:01:42

A V-shaped cushion was great for helping with feeding and holding DD. It kept her off my wound

Fisharefriendsnotfood Tue 25-Sep-12 09:21:02

Thanks everyone, have just ordered that book

PiedWagtail Tue 25-Sep-12 09:24:03

YY to a long bfing cushion to avoid resting dc on your scar. Big pants and lots of maternity pads. Arnica tabs. Packs of dried fruit to make that first poo post-birth better...
BFing nighties
nipple cream
bf bras/pads
bottled water
snacks
wipes - to clean the bathroom and facial wipes for you.
Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now