Talk

Advanced search

Casaerean Section...... Asleep or AWAKE ........

(11 Posts)
KerryD1983 Mon 24-Sep-12 13:18:13

Hi Ladies, I am due to have a C.Sect 5th December, due to back problems and a few complications with my first labour (9yrs ago) !!"
Just wondering if anybody has any knowledge on the casaerean where you are put too sleep instead of having a Epidural ( i think they might decide to go for the put me to sleep option as i had Epidurals on my First baby and they did NOT work due to the curve in my spine !!!

However i am a bit clueless on whats involved and a bit concerned that i wont have that initial Bond with my baby....... GO TO SLEEP PREGNANT wake UP NOT.... any help advice or information will be greatly appreciated smile Thanks xx

charlienash25 Mon 24-Sep-12 14:55:07

HI Kerry,

I had a cesaerean with my DD1 (now 5) and I was given the option of being put to sleep or staying awake.

As far as I remember the risk of me being put to sleep to have the baby was worse than me having a spinal, so i just had the injection and was numb from my boobs downwards for hours! However I had epidural with previous pregnancy (natural birth) and could still walk, felt everything apart from her popping out smile

So as far as im aware the injections are different. The risk of being put to sleep to have a cesaerean are slightly higher as drugs dont pass through your body properly apparently. Have a look at this and make your own decision. But id rather have a spinal and know whats going on around www.bellybelly.com.au/birth/caesarean-sections-what-actually-happens

passthewineandbiscuits Wed 26-Sep-12 18:34:54

Hi Kerry, I had an emergency c-section with my first baby who is now four months. It was a bit urgent and there wasn't time to get the epidural going and so I had a general anaesthetic.

I would far rather have been awake, as I feel a bit cheated of holding my baby straight away - I first saw and held her an hour and half after she was born when I came round. And I'd done 13 hours of labour before it went pear shaped so I felt especially cheated of my reward! The other down side is your partner can't be in theatre with you if you go under.

But.....in the long run it's made no difference. I've bonded with my baby completely and while it wasn't ideal, it really wasn't the end of the world. The most important thing is getting your baby out safely!

Marmiteisyummy Wed 26-Sep-12 20:32:02

Hi Kerry, I'm an anaesthetist. You may find this leaflet useful.
It is MUCH safer for you and therefore your baby to be awake. A spinal is very different to an epidural, technically easier and more sure result. It's highly unlikely you would be recommended a GA without at least an attempt at a pineal unless you were unwilling. There are some women who cannot bear the thought of surgery awake and of course the crash sections but the vast majority of others will have a spinal.
I'd strongly suggest you ask for an appointment with a consultant obstetric anaesthetist, they wil be able to look at your back and make a plan with you.
Best of luck.

Marmiteisyummy Wed 26-Sep-12 20:34:09

Pineal (!) = spinal! Stupid iPad.

1944girl Fri 28-Sep-12 01:03:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ripsishere Fri 28-Sep-12 01:14:35

Two days old beats my 14 hours grin.
I chose to have a GA with my CS. I did not like the anesthetist at all, his shaky hands put me off <shallow>. I think he over anaesthtised me since, the first thing I knew about DD was a hand in my theatre gown trying to get my left norm out to feed her.
DH was not allowed into theatre - he wouldn't even with a LA, so he sat holding her for hours waiting for me to wake up.

confuddledDOTcom Fri 28-Sep-12 01:23:31

I've had a crash and a planned crash, both were GA. First time because they weren't sure where they stood with my back and didn't have time to find out, second time because when they touched my back there I flinched so hard away from it I fell off the bed! I had an assessment with an anaethatist last year and he said I would not be suitable for a spinal. I think I nearly had him in tears because he had to pretend to do an epidural to feel what it's like around there and as soon as he touched that same spot again I flinched and my eyes started streaming, he couldn't stop apologising! For me it is that I fell down the stairs a few years ago and the nerves there are badly damaged, my right leg isn't properly served by them, he said that I would not be numbed by an epidural because of it and there is a risk of further damage by moving me more than I could tolerate under normal circumstances.

If they are saying you need a GA then I would ask for them to give you a tour first and talk you through the procedure. With my first the thought process you describe left me with Birth Trauma. Make sure you understand what's going to happen so that when you wake up you know what's just happened to you. I was so confused I thought I was in bed and getting annoyed at Mum for waking me up to tell me I was having (HAD, but I was confused) a little girl!

1944girl Fri 28-Sep-12 18:00:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fairylea Fri 28-Sep-12 18:04:09

I had a spinal and was awake during mine and it was great smile I loved seeing ds being held up.. I had a bit of a scary time as I had undiagnosed placenta previa (!!! ) butthe spinal bit was fine and I was like you and had an epidural previously with my dd that didn't work at all.

mayhew Sun 30-Sep-12 22:43:09

Nice leaflet marmite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now