Talk

Advanced search

Breathing your baby out...

(11 Posts)
sarahmia Sun 23-Sep-12 10:45:23

... Anyone done this? Care to explain it to me?

PollyIndia Sun 23-Sep-12 11:28:25

I haven't done it as only 39+4 and still pregnant but they talked about this in my hypnobirthing class and also in preg yoga. In HB they said you breathe in quickly through your nose then out slowly through the mouth while bearing down and visualising a flower opening. She said you can practice on the loo - and I have done and it's solved any constipation issues (sorry if tmi!)!

Not sure if principles are the same, but imagine so.

In yoga they said it's about releasing your pelvic floors as you breathe out and keeping them released and bearing down.

I'd also be interested to know if people make it work in practice!

sailorsgal Sun 23-Sep-12 12:10:45

I can recommend a great book called "A mother's breath" by Uma Dinsmore-Tuli. I use a lot of these practices in my pregnancy yoga class I teach and nearly of my mums say how much the breathing helped them.

SquidgersMummy Sun 23-Sep-12 12:18:30

Hi - I posted about this a while back:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childbirth/a1524686-Can-you-really-J-breathe-a-baby-out-will-the-midwife-laugh#33128262

I had been reading the hypnobirthing book. I found hypnobirthing really helpful in terms of being positive and breathing in early stage to stretch out uterus and bring things along - I also had TENS - I got to 7cm before they'd even look at me and then went in the pool - when it came to 2nd stage I found the sensation (water melon down back passage) frightening so refused to 'purple push' (annoyed crappy MW) - my DH was trying to remind me re breathing baby down but I could really control anything - I think I sort of did it by not forcing it and at the very end letting my body take over (it pushed on its over - like when you can't hold a poo in - or like when you vomit) - now my baby was only small (7lb 1) but I am only small too and at the end had some assistance (mini vontouse - had to get out of pool as meconium - crappy MW hadn't realised I hadn't had a wee for hours and bladder and baby were pushing against one another) but I was the least damaged woman on that ward with just graze and 1st degree tear. I know it's all luck etc but I am sure not purple pushing really helped and I would do the same again. It took 2.5 hrs for 2nd stage - although meconium no foetal distress and perfect apgar scores and we wasted a good hour trying to make me push against a full and bulging bladder. My MW said 2ish hrs normal often for 1st baby as pelvic floor can push baby back up. So I didn't do it by the book but let my body do its own thing. Did piss MW off though - mean cow.

Lots of luck xxx

sarahmia Wed 03-Oct-12 23:50:47

Just wanted to update this. Had my (9lb 5oz) baby last week and I breathed her out. It was the most awesome experience. My mw was amazing and just left me to do my thing. I did no purple pushing and had a very small 2nd deg tear only 14 months after a really bad 3rd deg tear. I was on gas and air and was just an awesome experience. I'm not an airy fairy type at all at all and I like hospitals i just wanted to try this and it worked and I've never felt this good after a birth

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 03-Oct-12 23:52:29

Congratulations! grin

FreddieMercurysBolero Thu 04-Oct-12 00:06:46

congratulations and well done yousmile I had an awful time trying to push DS out - the fact that he has a very large head did not help. I'm going to start practicing now, six weeks to go with this one!

Bryzoan Thu 04-Oct-12 07:07:10

Sarahmia that is so lovely to hear - congratulations on the birth of your baby. I had to actively push last time although everything in my body was screaming at me not to as dd was prem and distressed and - we were both ok but I ended up with a second degree tear and a scar that is still sore sometimes. I have been a bit worried about how the scar will hold up this time - and you have reassured me a little that a repeat is not inevitable :-) thank you.

AdiVic Thu 04-Oct-12 09:47:29

Hello Sarahmia

I did it with my 2ndsmile 1st baby was 7hrs, with epidural and pethadine, and a good amount of terror. Very bad tearing.

2nd time around I wanted to avoid all te horrible stuff so did Hypnobirhting - had to be induced which took 2 days. I sat on my ball, listening to relaxation music and did the breathing. I could feel things working, and could feel my muscles doing their thing - I said he was coming down and no one believed me as I was calm and pain free. 1.5 hrs later out he came, my only panic was this time my body worked so efficiently that it happened so fast and smoothly, I was a bit like "hang on a minute, my brains not quite caught up yet" - no pushing whatsoever, no drugs, no stitches. I am not airy fairy either, perhaps quite cynical, and I can honestly say, it was the most amazing overwhelming (in a great way) experience. After getting the placenta out, and a quick check down there, I was up walking about and felt like not a lot had happened, couldn't belive how great I felt, could have run a mile there and then. Brilliant experience, just sad I won't be doing it again!

GingerDoodle Thu 04-Oct-12 13:52:49

Just another perspective.

I had our baby girl last Thursday night and had had 1:1 hypnobirth training. Considering I had full blown contractions throughout a 1h train ride and a 45 min car ride to the hospital (arriving 7cm dilated and ready to go!) I can honestly say the following:

The breathing training was invaluable
The support from my dh based on the training was amazing

I can't say it was totally calm, nor was it orgasmic however:

Labour was 7h 4m start to finish. Waters to birth 1h 4.
I didn't actively push - my body just took over - i could not have stopped it
Baby was born pink and exercising her lungs
I had 3 minor grazes
Like Adivic after I was stitched I was up an in the shower (amazing) and generally have felt great. One of the MW's commented that the way I was marching up the ward the next day (born 23:34, this was at 13:00) I really didn't look like I’d given birth.

All in all I would def recommend it. I didn't get my serene water birth but I could not have asked for a better experience.

elliejjtiny Thu 04-Oct-12 13:53:12

I breathed DS3 out, was fantastic and not even a graze.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now