Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Maybe an odd question re sex to bring on labour?

(17 Posts)
Spice17 Sat 22-Sep-12 20:40:13

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone who had sex to bring on labour (and it worked) were you having regular sex anyway or did you do it as a one off desperate attempt?!

I get the impression it works if you haven't done it much during pregnancy (as I haven't really) rather than if you were still partaking a few times a week but am I wrong?

Also, is the important bit the sex, e.g penis insertion, the sperm or the orgasm?! grin

TIA

CherryCheesecake Sat 22-Sep-12 20:43:40

We did it quite regular. Then one Friday we were at a friends for a curry then went home dtd then my waters broke about 4 hours later.
May have been a coincidence though.

CherryCheesecake Sat 22-Sep-12 20:44:17

Also the sperm is supposed to be what gets things going.

vodkaanddietirnbru Sat 22-Sep-12 20:45:42

the orgasm (yours!) and the sperm (for the prostoglandins) are supposed to help to induce labour.

www.maternityacupressure.com/natural-ways-to-induce-labor/best-ways-to-induce-labor-naturally.html

Coldcuppacoffee Sat 22-Sep-12 20:47:53

It worked for me. The midwife told me to after a sweep,and I couldn't bring myself to the first night but did the next one (despite feeling like a whale). Waters broke thre hours later....

TramadolJacket Sat 22-Sep-12 20:49:55

Yes as a one off as was 6 days overdue and fed up!

I did go into labour a few hours after although of course this could have been coincidence.

WantAnOrange Sat 22-Sep-12 20:52:03

It's the hormones or something in sperm that are supposed to trigger labour. I'm 37 weeks and fed up so will be bearing this mind tonight!

Spice17 Sat 22-Sep-12 20:56:14

Cheers ladies, am 38 weeks today.

Can now barely bloody walk because the head is just sitting in my pelvis and I get shooty pains up my fanjo (sorry!) with virtually every move, so I'm willing to try it.

DH up for it too suprisingly, though part of me thinks maybe I should get a few more nights rest first!

Nagoo Sat 22-Sep-12 20:59:13

Worked both times for me.

desperate attempts.

ThreePly Sat 22-Sep-12 21:05:26

Didn't work for me! Old wives tale I reckon.

FadingAwayToAHippo Sat 22-Sep-12 21:08:31

Worked for me, was a one off too. I actually had to embarrass DP into doing it at that stage (40+6) by threatening to tell his mum if he didn't!

Also apparently nipple tweaking?

maxbear Sat 22-Sep-12 21:13:21

It worked for me three times. grin
First one, had a sweep on due date, dtd at 9pm, started contracting half an hour earlier.
Second one dtd regularly then at 39+4 dtd one evening and went in to labour during the night. (had put bum on pillow afterwards so sperm pooled around cervix).
Third one at 38 weeks, I was so uncomfortable so did lots of nipple stimulation, dtd and a few hours later started contracting, labour took longer though as I reckon my body was a bit surprised that it was happening so soon!
Dh more than happy to oblige, its worth a try, nothing to lose!

HowToChangeThis Sun 23-Sep-12 22:14:24

Worked for me, the sperm fluid contains prostaglandins, in fact they used to make pecessaries from pigs' ejaculate, I'm not sure if they still do.

We were doing it fairly regularly but stepped it up once I got passed 37 weeks because I wanted to avoid induction at term, that and hand expressing colostrum helped me give birth at 39 weeks.

nocake Sun 23-Sep-12 22:19:18

I know a MW who, in a dull moment, worked out how much semen you'd need to get enough prostaglandin to have any effect. Let's just say that you'd need to have a lot of sex over a very short period of time and certainly with more than one man grin

confuddledDOTcom Sun 23-Sep-12 22:26:24

Prostaglandins can work ingested too grin

carrielou2007 Mon 24-Sep-12 06:32:06

Didn't work for me wink

Both times once got to 40 + 7 made ex do do it each morning before work and each evening blush didn't speak or look st him or barely kids him blush he didn't mind as has been a bit of a droit for a few months before then grin. Also tried every other trick to get things going, induced at 40+12 for both dc. Going to tell him no chance of it this time as didn't bloody work before grin

Badgerina Mon 24-Sep-12 13:13:59

I know a MW who, in a dull moment, worked out how much semen you'd need to get enough prostaglandin to have any effect. Let's just say that you'd need to have a lot of sex over a very short period of time and certainly with more than one man

Ha! This is what I suspected... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now