Talk

Advanced search

Best thing for sore perineum post-childbirth?

(12 Posts)
Mexxo Sat 22-Sep-12 13:25:15

Hoping someone might have some tips, as I had 2 c-sections a long time ago so have no idea! A friend has just had her baby and is really sore. She tore rather than had an episiotomy - not too bad and only a few stitches I gather but she is really sore. She's taking arnica but I was wondering if there is any cream or something that might soothe the area while it heals?

Gingerbreadlatte Sat 22-Sep-12 13:38:04

Try glass of milk with a few drops of lavender in it ( to disperse it) poured into a warm bath. I did this every morning and it was bliss. Had 2 deg tear.

Also where poss, let perineum air. Being closed up with mat pads makes everything itchy. Especially when it starts to heal.

Gingerbreadlatte Sat 22-Sep-12 13:38:32

Keep on with arnica to reduce bruising too.

Badgerina Sat 22-Sep-12 16:23:21

Witch hazel gel mixed with Aubrey Organics aloe vera gel, spread onto a sani pad and then popped in the freezer. Bliss!

Mexxo Sat 22-Sep-12 16:52:50

Thanks all. Badgerina, witch hazel gel not sting a bit??

Badgerina Sat 22-Sep-12 17:04:22

Nah it's fine once it's mixed with the Aloe smile

SquidgersMummy Sat 22-Sep-12 18:07:56

My tear stings like buggery when weeing - nothing like breastfeeding and having small infant keeping you busy to result in strong wee! - so am touching my toes when on the loo and have small bottle of water with tea tree oil (or lavender) drops in to pour over immediately I sit up. I was told to sit in bath with lavender drops twice a day but its so unrealistic some days so the bottle is a good substitute. My GP yesterday also suggested Sudocream and Vaseline (but I am 7 weeks on so not sure if appropriate straight away). If soreness persists worth getting them to take a swab - I needed antibiotics as Strep B.

X

cravingcake Sun 23-Sep-12 04:53:07

Another tip is to dry the area with a hairdryer rather than with a towel after a bath/shower. I had a 4th degree tear and found this helped.

seabuckthorn Sun 23-Sep-12 09:44:52

There is a spray you can buy, and tea bags for the bath full of herbs that should help.
Think they are made by Earth Mama Angel Baby.
I havent used the spray personally. I am buying it ready for this time!
The last two births I bought a spray bottle from Superdrug and filled with cooled boiled water and drops of witch hazel, tea tree and lavender.
I put those drops in the bath too.

At my hospital they gave me maternity pads with cooled witch hazel from the fridge!
Blissful!
Hope she is ok, I feel her pain.

rogersmellyonthetelly Sun 23-Sep-12 20:39:04

When weeing, fill a sports bottle with clean warm water, douse the area as you pee. This takes the sting out of the wee and makes it much more bearable. Also pat rather than wipe! No scented sanitary wear either, good old fashioned maternity towels give a comfy cushion and are unscented.

slothprincess Sun 23-Sep-12 21:57:04

I second the advice about water and lavender over the area while weeing. I also wrapped an ice pack in a flannel and popped it in my pants for a few minutes. This helped ease any pinching as it healed.

piprabbit Sun 23-Sep-12 22:00:12

Witch hazel on a sani pad is fantastic - all cool and soothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now