Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just had a "show" can you all refresh my memory on what I do now??

(22 Posts)
Turnipno1 Fri 21-Sep-12 17:09:32

So I'm 39+2 today and have been having on / off period aches for last 2 days they have been uncomfortable but not painfull just like a bad period they have mainly on the evenings but today i've been having them all day. I've had quite a relaxing day with the most exercise being walking the dogs for 20mins.
Anyway just went to run a bath and nipped to the loo (needing a number 2 sorry TMI) and there is was big old jelly mass (sorry again TMI). I'm sure ive read that from your "show" to labour can be days is that right?

Here is my dilema, my husband is at work 45 mins away, he would normally finish now but is going to someones leaving party tonight so I had said I would pick him up at 9pm - do I need to tell him to come home now?? I dont want to ruin his last "night out" before bambino comes. Do I need to call and tell the midwife/MLU??? Are these period cramps contractions? Im guessing I would be able to tell the difference??

Sorry first baby, feeling mildly panicky now.

Oh I have a list a mile long of people who have "volunteered" to come and be with me if I needed them wondering If i should call my pretend mum who lives 5 mins away (my real mum passed away 4 years ago).

Im blabbering now.....advice? calming

sittinginthesun Fri 21-Sep-12 17:14:03

Calm calm calm.smile

I would have a nice cup if tea, phone your pretend mum and let her know, and tell your OH to enjoy his evening, but make other arrangements to get home. Probably best if he stays sober.

The period pains are probably the start if it. If they become more regular, and turn in "squeezing" pains, they may be early contractions.

Can you ask someone to pop round and keep you company?

ChunkyMonkeyMother Fri 21-Sep-12 17:15:09

Ohhh, calm down dear! How exciting! But yes it can be days until the show begins, but I'd just let your oh know - just Incase!

And possibly a quick call to pretend Mum just so nobody is planning on leaving the country!

Best of luck!

Bubbless Fri 21-Sep-12 17:16:33

no idea what you should be doing
but good luck!!!

Pancakeflipper Fri 21-Sep-12 17:19:41

I would change my knickers, have cuppa and phone DH. Tell him not to panic but to get a lift home, not to drink and be home before 10pm. And to have his phone on in case he needs to leg it.
Make sure your bag is packed, have a bath, get a friend or relative round if you feel like company this evening or watch TV.

Eat little amounts and gentle things like toast. And lots of luck.

It can take days but after my show baby was with us 4 hours later.

horsebiscuit Fri 21-Sep-12 17:23:29

Oh how lovely, sounds like baby will be with you soon (but that could be a day or two yet so don't go mad!).
It sounds like you're going to pick up your DH 45 mins away at 9pm, is that right? If so, I'd recommend instead that he should make his own way home. You should relax, get some sleep if you can or at least put your feet up. Get him to stay sober(ish) and keep his phone in his pocket if the leaving do is loud. Swing into action to get him home if your period-like pains ramp up or if your waters go. If your waters go, check the colour, if not clear call the MLU.
Good luck!

Turnipno1 Fri 21-Sep-12 17:23:46

So called hubby, bless he's coming home despite me saying could be ages yet. Bath is run and just going to jump in for a soak with a cuppa haha.
Feel less panicky, but omg its imminent now isn't it, holy smokes!
Have text pretend mum she's coming straight from work smile
4 hrs pancake was that your first?
Thanks all for calming vibes x

paperclips Fri 21-Sep-12 17:25:05

Hi. Don't panic! Excited for you and a bit jealous - I've had similar aches to you and been knicker-checking for a show. Nothing yet!

It still could be a few days, or could be hours. If it was my husband I would let him know, but tell him to go to the party anyway but stay off the booze, and make sure his phone is on just in case. Is there another way for him to get home if you don't feel like driving 4 hours from now? On the other hand if you tell him he might want to come home. Mine probably would come home even if I told him to go to the party.

How far apart are your cramps? Do you get the tightening contraction feeling? You probably don't need to call the midwife until they are regular and close together or more painful unless of course you are worried and have questions for them.

Up to you whether you call friends/family etc- if you are anxious and it makes you feel better then its a good idea, even if you just want tea and a chat!

Good luck, keep us informed, look forward to some baby news!

paperclips Fri 21-Sep-12 17:26:16

whoops took to long to write that missed your post!

GreenParcel Fri 21-Sep-12 17:27:14

Awww exciting! Good luck!

Pancakeflipper Fri 21-Sep-12 17:27:25

It was. I was a little stunned. Built myself up for a 4 day huff and puff event.

Enjoy what could be your last peaceful bath.... In future there will be wails as soon as you hit the warm water. Then more years down the line there will be a little person peeping round the bathroom door saying "mummy, I need a hug now"

sittinginthesun Fri 21-Sep-12 17:37:16

Oooh, good luck. I was around 8 hours after my show first time. Let us know how you get on. smile

horsebiscuit Fri 21-Sep-12 17:53:22

Yes yes- enjoy what may be your last relaxing bath in about 10 years!! smile

BikeRunSki Fri 21-Sep-12 18:14:14

Good luck! Both mine were eight hours after my shows.

sparklekitty Fri 21-Sep-12 19:18:17

I wouldn't worry too much. I had my show on Sun (after being convinced I was in early labour with regular contractions etc) and baby still well and truly in there!

Hope you're more on your way than me x

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 21-Sep-12 19:22:01

I had a show at least a fortnight before had either of mine.
Have your bath and relax. Then see what develops. They could well just be BH. Good luck. xx envy

CurlyhairedAssassin Fri 21-Sep-12 19:32:35

With ds1 I had a couple of shows on the same day - labour started a couple of days later. With ds 2 I woke up at 2 am needing a wee and a load of jelly mess fell on the floor grin. Then the pains started immediately. So maybe different depending on whether first or subsequent baby.

CurlyhairedAssassin Fri 21-Sep-12 19:34:59

For what it's worth, op, ds1 was a long labour (32 hours) and no was very grateful to have company in the early stages while dh was still at work.

CurlyhairedAssassin Fri 21-Sep-12 19:36:15

Ooops, had wine. blush

I mean, even if ur not in "proper" labour, it's still nice to have someone else there just to be with you.

Wigeon Fri 21-Sep-12 19:48:14

Good luck! smile. Good call for your DH to come home, if only to reassure you and help you be nice and calm (more likely to go into labour if you aren't panicking). But it could still be several days.

My show with DD1 was 2 days before labour started. With DD2, it was about 3 hours before she was born!

GrassIsntGreener Fri 21-Sep-12 19:55:15

Ah it's good that he's coming home at least you'll have one less worry there.

With my daughter I lost my plug about an hour after waking in the early morning with back aching labour contractions. Daughter born that afternoon. First child.

Others I know have lost theirs at ~34 weeks and still gone to term. It's different for everyone. With the cramping though I'd say be prepared, just in case.

Good luck!

GoldenGreen Fri 21-Sep-12 19:59:59

It's not unusual for it to be a week or even more between a show and labour starting - so whatever you feel like doing is the best thing to do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now