Talk

Advanced search

Safest hospitals in South East London for babies and mum to give birth

(17 Posts)
Happystart Fri 21-Sep-12 15:12:28

Hi, this is my first post !

I am in my late forties, and having twins. I am trying to find the safest place (for all three of us) to actually give birth, having had a pretty horrible journey just to get to this stage.

Because I am more likely to have complications (and a caesarian) I am thinking Consultant led, lots of experience, good equipment and staffing levels. These are the main factors I think I should be trying to weigh up ??

I have seen the 2008 and 2010 ranking data, but if anyone knows any more recent or useful data that would be great. The main options seem to be Guys and St Thomas', Lewisham, KCH, or Princess Royal Farnborough. So if anyone knows any recent data, or has any personal case studies, to compare those that would be so helpful.

Or - any other useful ideas - I am new to this (there might be a whole hospital locally I have missed) !

Thanks

cooper44 Fri 21-Sep-12 15:36:55

hi there I don't know any stats and my situation is different to yours but I'm in a high risk pregnancy and am giving birth next week at St Thomas's and the consultants and midwife team there so far have been absolutely exemplary. Vigilant, caring, and accessible - I feel they have constantly gone out of their way to provide really thorough care. I've been monitored so closely the whole way through. I think you would be in the same team given your situation.
Hopefully someone will come along with some statistics for you soon too. Best of luck.

Happystart Fri 21-Sep-12 16:30:34

Thanks Cooper,

that is really helpful, as I am also high risk. All the best wishes for the birth.

kind regards

zgaze Fri 21-Sep-12 16:47:16

I've had wonderful care at Kings with both babies, first normal pregnancy that went wrong at the end with pre eclampsia and subsequent EMCS, and second more complicated pregnancy and ELCS. I can't fault them at all. Yes it's busy and a bit of a conveyor belt for scans etc but the quality of care is amazing and if problems arise then you really are in the best place.

Iggly Fri 21-Sep-12 18:01:37

Kings is a teaching hospital with quite high profile consultants so worth considering there?

Happystart Fri 21-Sep-12 18:13:03

Thanks Iggly and Zgaze,

good to know !

kind regards

RedKites Sun 23-Sep-12 09:01:41

A friend had hers twins at the PRU. I think she got v thorough antenatal care and the birth went well. She was less happy with her experience on the postnatal wards, but I think that's probably true of many hospitals.

tangerinefeathers Sun 23-Sep-12 10:56:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tangerinefeathers Sun 23-Sep-12 11:00:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Happystart Sun 23-Sep-12 17:57:34

Redkites/ tangerinefeathers,

this is really helpful.

Thank you.

Bluegingham Sun 23-Sep-12 20:25:17

Another vote for Kings.

MrsHoolie Sun 23-Sep-12 23:33:01

Had my 2nd DC at King's. he was in SCBU for a week and they were bloody fantastic.

Happystart Mon 24-Sep-12 10:50:28

Thank you all so much

silverangel Wed 26-Sep-12 20:29:41

I was under PRU with my twins - antenatal was consultant led and great. I was also under Kings (identicals - laser surgery for TTTS at 19 weeks). I actually had the girls at Ashford as they were 31 weekers and PRU only caters for 32 weeks plus. Kings / St Thomas and everywhere nearer didn't have enough space for the three of us.

Long story short but the girls were transferred back to PRU's SCBU at 32 weeks, they were fantastic, I couldn't fault them. I have heard a lot of stories that the actual post-natal care on the wards isn't the best.

chole1 Wed 26-Sep-12 20:47:30

I had my DD at Queen Elizabeths as they are fully equipt for any emergencys with the babies and i think the unit is bigger than PRU. Midwifes were fantastic also.

Unfortunatly You will always find that some people have good experience and bad experience. At the same hospital my DH cuz delivered there and she said it was bad experience, but i could not fault them.

Just kinda go with the flow and listen to the experts and if your birthing plan changes dont worry about it.

where ever you decide i wish you luck and hope all goes as you expect.
Hope that helps smile?

Jules125 Wed 26-Sep-12 22:07:32

Congrats on your pregnancy. I have recent knowledge of St. Thomas's having delivered DD2 there in 2010 and now 32 weeks with DD3.

I am very high risk (early 40s) having had pre-eclampsia at 25 weeks in first pregnancy (DD1 died, I nearly died....). Consultant led care there is very good. I expect there is little to choose between King's and St Thomas's. [many of the obstetricians will have moved between the two hospitals]. Andrew Shennan might be a good choice for you because of the early delivery risks with twins at an older age and I think works from both hospitals.

farfallarocks Thu 27-Sep-12 10:18:45

Another vote for Tommies here, am being seen by their high risk team and the midwives are lovely, very accessible, great consultants.
I feel very safe there (will report back after birth!) but what I like about them is that they seem quite woman centred and desptire being high risk they are also very encouraging of not over medicalising (I am allowed to use the birth pool for example as my clotting levels are now in the normal range) whereas in many hospitals the approach seems to be high risk=automatically tethered to the bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now