Talk

Advanced search

How do you put 'shoulder dystocia' into a sentence?!

(16 Posts)
luckysocks Thu 20-Sep-12 21:06:17

Obviously apart from the thread title smile

I had a straightforward labour with DD until the end when...

she had shoulder dystocia? She presented with...? She...

How do you say it correctly?

It's really been annoying me hmm

AGoldenOrange Thu 20-Sep-12 21:09:17

It was discovered that...

Not a clue - sorry

figwit Thu 20-Sep-12 21:10:47

(When) I had a shoulder dystocia

luckysocks Thu 20-Sep-12 21:12:02

Is that right, figwit? Is it something I had?

MakeHayNotStraw Thu 20-Sep-12 21:12:18

(When) her shoulder got stuck?! Cheating, I know, but I have no other ideas...

mayhew Thu 20-Sep-12 21:15:25

Generally we tend to say that it is the mother who has the shoulder dystocia not the baby ie "I had a shoulder dystocia during the birth of DD". i suppose because it was your pelvis the shoulder got stuck in.

figwit Thu 20-Sep-12 21:29:39

luckysocks yes, it's usually said that way. Not sure why.
Shoulder dystocia can be horrible- are you both ok?

FreddieMercuryforQueen Thu 20-Sep-12 21:31:09

I'd say she was a shoulder dystocia. Which I don't expect is grammatically correct.

Only4theOlympics Thu 20-Sep-12 21:39:14

I say dd suffered with shoulder dystocia. Or more generally "she got stuck"

luckysocks Thu 20-Sep-12 22:38:37

figwit - we're fine now, thanks for asking. They had to resuscitate DD, but very briefly and fortunately I wasn't fully aware of what was happening at the time. It was a good team of staff.

So I had a shoulder dystocia has the most votes smile

mayhew Fri 21-Sep-12 14:08:08

Yes indeed. Glad the outcome was good. It usually is as they are chunky full termers who are very resilient.

Only4theOlympics Fri 21-Sep-12 18:19:23

Mayhew can I ask where that view point came from. I am a bit sensitive about this because allthough dd is ok it was still very traumatic for us both and I still bear both physical and mental scars.

mayhew Fri 21-Sep-12 18:35:51

I was referring to the OP saying that they are fine now. I wasn't commenting on the nature of the experience.

luckysocks Sat 22-Sep-12 18:55:55

Only4 sorry to hear you had a difficult time sad

Births which can look similar on paper can be so different for the women involved, can't they. The staff at DDs birth were fantastic and I had a massive advantage in that I felt cared for and slightly oblivious. I feel a little wobbly if I let myself think about what might have happened, so generally I don't let myself go there because we were both safe before I even knew what shoulder dystocia was.

DS's (DC1) birth was another story altogether, no real drama on paper (forceps birth) but I felt out of control, terrified and as if I couldn't make myself heard. I thought I was dying and just wanted it to happen quickly. I spent a lot of time trying to get my head around that and it caused problems for me when I became pregnant with DD. Friends who also had forceps don't really get it and I struggled with that too.

I hope you're OK.

Only4theOlympics Sat 22-Sep-12 22:31:31

It was a a while ago now and ddis fine. But the attitude that ah you are both alive so that's ok then sucks.

Like you I was oblivious at the time so it wasn't a pain trauma. But it might not have worked out that way. I didn't see dd for hours. I didn't get to hold her before I went to surgery. I didn't get to give her her first feed or comfort her. I had to have a blood transfusion and I was helpless with a baby I could not look after for days. I still have scars, I am still not right. The thought of getting pregnant again scares me in case they won't give me the c section they promised.

I know others have been through much much worse. But no birth trauma should have to be just be swept under the carpet because it is over now and no one died.

I sorry for what happened to you and hope you get the support you need to deal with it.

luckysocks Sun 23-Sep-12 10:53:37

That's terrible sad

I don't think that's what mayhew meant, though - just that there's a relatively good chance with shoulder dystocia that the babies will survive it.

It sounds like you had a shit time - it made me feel a bit teary reading your post. I really hope you get some decent support, particularly if you do go on to have another little one. I sobbed at every antenatal appt (I was consultant led for this reason) with DD. DH thought I was obsessing ( angry ). The birth itself was a good form of closure though, strangely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now