Talk

Advanced search

ELCS tomorrow - nervous!

(19 Posts)
Beans1977 Wed 19-Sep-12 19:25:22

Hello. Just as it says really - having an ELCS tomorrow morning with DC#1 as she is transverse with cord presenting and won't budge. I'm 40w tomorrow and in a great hospital with lovely staff and I can't wait to meet my little girl - but I'm now lying in my hospital bed feeling really anxious about how the process will go. Trying not to be a weed, but I am a bit concerned about the surgery and I have heard a few horrid stories about recovery... Anyone got any happy thoughts or positive stories to share to stop me being a silly billy? X

5inthebed Wed 19-Sep-12 19:27:55

Oh good luck!

I've had three c sections, two election and one emergency. Definiltey recovered much faster after the elective ones.

Dont try to do everything yourself, take all the help offered and try stop in hospital a day longer than you anticipdated, threeis ideal. Do not go home the day after your section, you need to stay in hospitl and be cared for and get the rest and any drugs offered.

QTPie Wed 19-Sep-12 20:48:12

I have had one ELCS (breech) and quite honestly it was the best day of my life.

Ok it is major surgery, there are risks and you do need time and patience and lots of meds to recover (take everything offered, on schedule, whether you feel you need it or not), but it is actually very calm and "civilised" AND it has such a positive outcome! smile

Top tips:
- get peppermint tea/water/capsules for trapped wind (I took it religiously and no wind).
- arnica pastilles (don't know if they help healing or not, but why not... Don't take them same time as peppermint or brushing your teeth - mint stops it working).
- press a pillow over your wound when you get in and out of bed.
- if you attempt breastfeeding, then do everything (good chair, feet up, pillows, baby on nursing cushion or pillow) to get in a good, comfortable, supported position. Also apply Lansinoh religiously after EVERY feed: I did and no pain/cracking/bleeding.

Best wishes smile

Geekster Wed 19-Sep-12 21:11:22

I had an ELCS in March as my dd was breech, she is my first child. The whole experience was fine, very calm and relaxed, my dd had a lovely gentle introduction into the world. I felt no pain while I was having her, everyone was very kind. Yes afterwards it was a bit sore but really not that bad. I found once I had my baby in my arms I could have put up with anything. Just take your painkillers regularly and do as they tell you. It really does help to get up as soon as they let you. Also make sure you eat plenty of fibre as constipation after a c- section is not nice as I found out!

Good luck for tomorrow, if you feel nervous just think that very soon you will be meeting your little girl and you are making your first big sacrifice for your daughter by going through surgery.

I hope all goes well as I'm sure it will. Let us know how you get on if you get a spare minute! And can tear yourself away from gazing at your daughter.

Bongaloo Wed 19-Sep-12 21:12:19

awww this time tomorrow you'll be cuddling your new baby girl!!

The surgery bit is all a blur to me. Nothing traumatic, just surreal - I felt like I was underwater and there seemed to be a lot of people milling about.
It's pretty quick and the staff were so lovely and the moment they lifted my DD out I felt all that nervousness just go.
I recovered well.
Drink plenty afterwards, so that they're happy to take the catheter out and then get moving/walking when you feel able. Have the painkillers.
I think moving about is the key to recovery.
But don't push yourself mind - you do need to take it easy.

Mintyy Wed 19-Sep-12 21:15:06

Millions of people have had wonderful, positive, easy, stress-free elcs births (including me almost exactly 9 years ago to the day) and I am sure you will be the same Beans.

The wound will be sore for a few days but I doubt there are many women who have given birth vaginally who haven't been sore for a few days afterwards either.

Good luck to you! Will you come back and tell us if its a boy or a girl?

VerityBrulee Wed 19-Sep-12 21:16:48

I had a normal delivery for ds2 and 2 ELCS subsequently and I promise you the recovery from the CS was a picnic in comparison with the episiotomy grin

The CS were both great experiences and hand on heart I had very little pain. I was up walking around the following day and had no problems recovering at all.

Good luck, you will be fine!

SirGOLDBoobs Wed 19-Sep-12 21:17:03

A friend of mine had an ELCS at the beginning of the year. She was still able to have a relatively "natural" CS. She had the cover lowered and the head of the bed raised slightly so that she could see the moment her DD was born, had immediate skin to skin contact, delayed cord clamping, and help with nursing, all of which the staff were more than happy to facilitate.

Ask for as much help as you need, don't try and recover quicker than your body is prepared to. Take it easy and rest up. Enjoy your DD smile

Mintyy Wed 19-Sep-12 21:28:52

Oh sorry blush. I see you already know you are having a girl.

Beans1977 Wed 19-Sep-12 21:58:42

Oh thanks so much for these lovely messages - they are really encouraging and remind me what is important and how exciting and special tomorrow will be. Thank you! I will let you know how it goes xx

Tallgiraffe Thu 20-Sep-12 08:02:23

Good luck today, and enjoy your newborn cuddles

ButtonBoo Thu 20-Sep-12 08:05:35

No ELCS but I had a EMCS with DD. In all the mentalness running up to it I was nervous but it was v calm and not at all stressful.

The surg team were great. The anaes. held my other hand (DP was in the other side) as I was shaking so much from the epi. And he took pics for is when DD was born.

It feels crazy though. Like someone is doing there washing up in your stomach. Lots of pulling and pushing pressure but zero pain.

Your DC will soon be here. Don't worry. Keep us posted!!!

namechange000 Thu 20-Sep-12 08:09:49

I had an ELCS with DD, and as others have said it was the best day of my life.

Everything was so calm and DH and I cried when she was handed to me.

It's also a really good excuse to just lay down cuddling your baby for about a week afterwards smile

Good luck!

Angelico Thu 20-Sep-12 21:14:33

Beans just spotted this - hope everything went well! thanks Do come back and update if you can - I am having ELCS on Tuesday and would love to know your top tips smile

Beans1977 Sat 22-Sep-12 08:52:34

Hello! Thanks everyone for all your advice and love. Lucy Grace was born at 454pm on Thursday 20 September bang on 8lbs. I may be a little biased (!) But she is beautiful.

ELCS went well and staff were wonderful and explained every bit. I got quite bad nausea as my blood pressure dropped, but they fixed this as soon as I told them. So far physically it has been easier than anticipated but I have taken it very easy - that was good advice. Hoping to go home today.

Thanks again everyone xx

Angelico Sat 22-Sep-12 08:53:53

Oh that's brilliant news Beans! smile Congratulations! thanks

Beans1977 Sat 22-Sep-12 08:53:58

Oh and DH did cut cord and I had skin to skin and Lucy seems to be getting on well with feeding so that was really good xx

Angelico Sat 22-Sep-12 08:54:20

Hurrah! grin

ButtonBoo Sat 22-Sep-12 10:22:46

Aw...wonderful news! Big congrats. Glad it went well for you. Hope you're enjoying these early days.

Welcome to the world Baby Bean

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now