Talk

Advanced search

Possible TMI, but what happens to pre-existing piles during labour?

(12 Posts)
Smicha Tue 18-Sep-12 07:54:28

I have had minor piles throughout PG, not painful, just sort of 'there' but since baby dropped they've become more uncomfortable and have definitely increased in number! I'm now starting to wonder what on earth will happen to them once I start pushing?! And will they now be a permanent feature?!

I'm desperately trying to get rid of them with anusol but it doesn't seem to be working. Might ring GP this morning to see if I can get anything stronger on prescription!

The joys of pregnancy grin

FancyBread Tue 18-Sep-12 11:39:39

Ugh. I had this problem during pregnancy, they caused no problems other than being there. I don't really know what happened during my DC's births, I think I was happy not to know. Afterwards, I still had one that started to bleed occasionally although otherwise symptomless. I waited ages befor mentioning the bleeding to a GP. I was lucky that I had private healthcare and it was removed with a quick op. I had a general and it was a bit sore afterwards but I am really glad I had it done. because they were caused by pregnancy they have never returned.

maxbear Tue 18-Sep-12 12:42:26

They will get bigger, then much smaller afterwards. Mine were uncomfy in labour and birth but no problems afterwards. I was lucky enough not to have to push for long though.

Now that I've finished having babies,every now and then they get a bit uncomfy (if I get diarrhoea) but although they are still there they aren't a problem. I wouldn't bother trying to get rid if them. Creams and ointments are to treat the discomfort not to get rid of them. Worry about then if they are still a problem afterwards. Good luck!

Smicha Tue 18-Sep-12 13:50:21

Thanks for the positive responses, I was worrying I may open the floodgates to some horror stories these may yet come! I think I'll stop worrying and just accept that they are going to be there during labour but are in no way going to be the most painful part and that hopefully they'll go away or shrink afterwards!

mayhew Tue 18-Sep-12 14:54:38

They often get worse when the head engages because the head is causing pressure on blood vessels which is reducing venous return. Like socks with tight tops make your feet swell. As the baby rotates within the pelvis, it might improve a bit. Be vigilant
; be active, prolonged sitting makes them worse
:use anusol 3 times a day, every day
:avoid constipation, a full rectum makes it worse, as does straining. Aim for a poo at least every 48hrs.
: if you can't go and have done the dietary stuff, glycerin suppositories are safe, cheap and reliable.

Pushing in labour will make them swell, but once delivered, follow instructions above again and you'll be reet.

victoriassponge Tue 18-Sep-12 16:09:25

They never go???

Smicha Fri 28-Sep-12 11:13:29

Don't know why I worried so much about piles ... Ended up with a 3rd degree tear, now I'd love to just have bad piles grin

SomeoneThatYouUsedToKnow Fri 28-Sep-12 12:06:39

Ouch!

SquidgersMummy Fri 28-Sep-12 14:17:49

Congratulations on your DC arriving though xxx

FluffyJawsOfDoom Fri 28-Sep-12 15:03:22

They don't just disappear after pregnancy? shock

thing1andthing2 Sat 29-Sep-12 19:18:50

Mine went away almost completely after having the baby. I had what looked like a purple grape growing out of my bottom just before dc2 arrived. Was fine during labour (confused the mw though when she did a VE underwater without looking!). Within a week it had gone away completely. Thank goodness. Still a bit sore if I get the runs or strain too much but nothing is visible on the outside.

surfmama Sat 29-Sep-12 23:26:25

nelsons pile stuff is very good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now