Advanced search

Trying to decide on elective C section due to large baby

(32 Posts)
Fisharefriendsnotfood Sun 16-Sep-12 09:38:59


I'm 34 weeks with dc3. Dc1 was on the 95th centile each time they measured my bump and arrived 40+2 (waters leaked was induced) weighing 9lb15. Threatened forceps, shoulder dyspraxia, episiotomy..bladder prolapse afterwards.

Dc2 was just above the top line of curve each time they measured bump. He arrived at 40+8 (self induced with castor oil) weighing 10lb 6.
Slight tear. Bad prolapse and continual backache since.

This baby is measuring a month ahead of dates. Tracking miles above the top curve. If it continues at this gradient it is looking like 12/12.5 lbs on due date.

I'm terrified of baby getting stuck, and of being destroyed afterwards. My consultant has offered me a section. Wwyd?

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sun 16-Sep-12 09:47:36

If it was me I'd go for a section. The idea of surgery is terrifying but ur previous births sound horrendous and the recovery time must have surely been longer than a normal
Labour and delivery. A section can't be anymore long and painful I wouldn't have thought. smile

ValiumQueen Sun 16-Sep-12 09:57:10

Go for a section. You are clearly and understandably frightened baby will get stuck, so this is likely to affect progression of labour. You could try hypnobirthing to help get you through, but I think, especially with two older children to consider, an ELCS would be preferable to an EMCS. Good luck!

bumponboardagain Sun 16-Sep-12 10:07:10

Hi op, I'm in the same situation as you. My first ds was 9lb 15 and resulted in emergency csection as he got stuck. He was 10 days over due. I fought hard with my consultant for an elcs with ds2 and I'm glad I did as he was the same weight and was born on his due date. I'm pregnant again (18wks) and requested an elective csection. Consultant wholeheartedly agreed and I already have my date booked in at 39wks!

I really think you should go for an elcs. I found the recovery quick and easy after my elective as I hadn't laboured so was not exhausted. Have you spoken to your consultant? Your previous births, size of previous babies and growth of this baby are all reasons for an elective. You may need to be very firm with consultant, but Im pretty sure they would agree.

ValiumQueen Sun 16-Sep-12 11:05:06

DD1 was 8lb 13oz and I was moments away from a section, but they managed to rip her out of me.

Took me a long time to be brave enough to have another, and the consultant was happy to give me an ELCS. Just as well as DD2 was 10lb 3. The section was wonderful and I was healed sooner, home quicker etc.

Due DC3 in 5 weeks. Going for growth scan tomorrow then will decide with consultant how to deliver this one. It is a no brainier really. I will be having another section gladly.

If you are frightened of a section, there are many positive birth stories. Yes there are horror ones too, but there are just as many for VBs.

Purplehonesty Sun 16-Sep-12 11:18:39

Go for the section. That's what I did this time round after an emcs for big first baby ds. Dd decided to come early tho so it was an emergency section again but still better than the other option. I'd rather have stitches in my tummy than down there and risk being incontinent etc

BardOfBarking Sun 16-Sep-12 11:20:36

I had a home birth with an 11lb baby with some postnatal complications, they offered me a c-section for the next baby when he was also measuring big and I put my hippy dippy credentials to one side and agreed to it.

It was a wonderful birth, I was encouraged to make a birth plan and all my requests were adhered to eg skin to skin whilst still in theatre.

I would take the section, relax and enjoy your birth.

ToothyMcTooth Sun 16-Sep-12 11:27:56

Having read the title I was going to say no go for vb. I've had 2 biggish babies (9lb9oz and 10lb6oz) and despite being keen on a cs for the last had vb and enjoyed it (well not really but it was straightforward).

BUT I've read your post and not a thing on earth should stop you going for a elcs. I've had 3 births and only the first had any real trouble and even that was not horrendous. Also with two other dcs the benefit of planning the birth is very real!

I don't know of anyone who has had a bad experience with an elective cs as opposed to emergency ones. Good luck!

amck5700 Sun 16-Sep-12 11:38:42

I had two sections - two big babies both back to back nd I had Sacroiliac Hip dysfunction which made a lot of positions impossible

1st got stuck and ended up in an emergency section after 36 hours of active labour. I was borderline for a blood transfusion but still checked out of the hospital on day 3 cos they were a bunch of useless twats and I was better of at home

2nd was due when No1 was just 13 months old - despite being expected to be another big baby and also lying back to back and havig the hip problems again, and added to that I had a lot of pain in the scar too - the consultant was initially minded to have a trial of labour if I went before 40 weeks. The midwife fudged the dates and got me booked in at 39 weeks instead of 40 for an elective section. It went fabulously and I was at home 2 days later with my two babies smile

And to cap it all the consultant said at the delivery that the scar would never have held up during labour so it was the right decision all round.

bumponboardagain Sun 16-Sep-12 12:23:03

Just to add to my previous post up thread, my elcs was wonderful. We had the screen removed so we could see ds being born which was lovely- he was back to back so he was facing us as he was born! Also, had skin to skin. It was very relaxed and calm.

Fisharefriendsnotfood Sun 16-Sep-12 12:56:50

Thanks everyone smile

I don't know why I am hesitating really. I guess part of me feels like I'm taking an easy out in a way confused. I think you are all probably right though and that's what my gut is saying too.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sun 16-Sep-12 13:10:43

It's not an easy way out. Vaginal birth is by far the easy optom given u are up and about pretty much straight away. But why put yourself through a Birth that is likely to be painful difficult and high chance of section anyway. You don't have to prove anything to any one and you will actually get to relax and enjoy this one. I too have not heard anyone I know talk about how horrible an elcs was. An emergency one yes bit all reports I've heard of a planned section were very positive!!!

ValiumQueen Sun 16-Sep-12 13:21:21

You will not be taking the easy option. You will be taking the sensible one, and your consultant has already agreed you can have one. You have given birth vaginally twice and bear the scars to prove it. You have suffered enough IMO.

Have a section on a day that suits you, so you can be rested and well prepared for the healing, arrange childcare, prepare your children and partner for it, make sure you have support afterwards etc etc. you will also see your baby earlier. Read the section threads so you know about the catheter, shoulder pain, how to protect your scar when coughing, feeding etc.

Make a decision, stick to it, and look forward to the date and adding another to your lovely family. And stop worrying and torturing yourself. It is very rare on MN that the advice is so consistent when it comes to elective sections!

Fisharefriendsnotfood Sun 16-Sep-12 15:00:24

I was expecting at least a few telling me to go for VB and feel reassured that the response was so overwhelming

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sun 16-Sep-12 15:20:58

smile wishing u all the best with your new scummy baby!!!

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sun 16-Sep-12 17:53:38

Oh crap that should say scrummy blush sorry for typo

Fisharefriendsnotfood Sun 16-Sep-12 18:35:12

Haha gringrin

ValiumQueen Sun 16-Sep-12 18:43:31

Very funny! grin

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Sun 16-Sep-12 18:46:21

grin at the scummy baby! Got to love autocorrect...

I have no first-hand experience of big babies but I have a friend who had awful complications and required reconstructive surgery after giving birth to a 10lber very, very quickly and she is having an ELCS in a few weeks. A CS is not an easy way out - it's major surgery but IMO better than being incontinent for the rest of your life.

Angelico Sun 16-Sep-12 23:16:08

ELCS all the way after your previous experiences confused

Bluegingham Mon 17-Sep-12 00:33:27

ELCS all the way. They're nice! And anyone who makes a judgement about another woman's birth choices is an ignorant fool.

swiftybaby Mon 17-Sep-12 03:00:09

Just had an elective as first baby was breech and big and although wanted a VBAC they wouldn't induce me as I went over. Thank Christ I did as I had DS who was 10lb 8!!!!

It was a good experience and a bit of a no brainer

HeidiHole Mon 17-Sep-12 04:05:18

After reading the title I came on to say that I had a 10 lb 6 baby a few months ago (my first) with just gas and air,some stitches after and not to worry, give a VB a go.

Then I read your whole post and realise I obviously have a wizards sleeve larger pelvis than you.

In your position I wouldn't think twice about a CS. Very sensible to have one

IWishIWasAFrog Mon 17-Sep-12 04:24:48

Go for a section. All mine were >9lbs, last one 10 lbs 6, and rectocele. Not worth it, imo, just have the section. Your (future) health matters too.

enjoy your lovely newborn with an intact - ish pelvic floor smile

elizaregina Mon 17-Sep-12 15:02:41

def elc - its a no brainer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: