Talk

Advanced search

Royal London Hospital - anyone have experience this year?

(9 Posts)
jedmonds14 Thu 09-Aug-12 09:52:34

Hi everyone,

I just had my first appointment with my GP for first baby - I'm 5 weeks. GP told me that 95% of women from my surgery give birth at Royal London but I have heard some less than great reviews of the place (although not very recent). Does anyone have any recent experience, either good or bad to help me decide whether to transfer or not?

Thanks so much
xx

PM74 Thu 09-Aug-12 09:55:25

I had my son there in jul11 and they were brilliant! It was the old building so fairly manky & overcrowded but have been to the new one which is much better. It was a difficult birth but the staff were brilliant!

vivien14 Sun 12-Aug-12 10:02:46

Thanks for the positive feedback PM74! Does anyone else have any experience they can share? I'd be really grateful!

mayhew Sun 12-Aug-12 12:50:36

If you are low risk, the Royal London has a beautiful free standing birth centre, Barkentine. Also I think the maternity unit has just or will shortly move into their new building.

AGiraffeOnTheDivingBoard Wed 15-Aug-12 09:20:03

Not me but a friend of mine did. She thought they were fantastic and recommending I move to them from Whittington.

Apparently the lead MWs have transferred from St Johns & St Elizabeths?

LemonMagic Wed 15-Aug-12 18:52:19

Hello
Thanks for your post, you've encouraged me to post for the first time too as I'd also be really interested to hear of people's experiences of the new Royal London. I'm 21 weeks pregnant now and have had one scan there at 13 weeks with another booked in very soon.

For what it's worth, I'll share my experience of the scan, if that's helpful? The new facilities look super clean and nice, the waiting room for the scan has an amazing view south over London. There was a big queue though for people coming in without appointments (ie for unplanned checkups) - but if you had a scan booked you didn't need to wait. Scan all fine, quick and nice sonographer etc but afterwards we did have to wait rather a long time for a blood test for the down's syndrome test - were there a couple of hours in total. This may be normal anywhere though? I don't know as its my first baby too!

My understanding is that it has become quite popular now because of the new building, and people are coming from quite a long way to give birth there (certainly not just people living in Tower Hamlets), but that could mean queues and possible staffing shortages? I'm not sure about giving birth there as yet, will be planning to go on a tour which they organise once a week, as well as visit the Barkantine, which is a midwife led unit, and I've heard some good things about that as well. But of couse that might not be for everyone.

Look forward to hearing if anyone else has experiences to share?

x

vivien14 Fri 24-Aug-12 10:34:30

Thanks so much for your feedback LemonMagic, that does all sound really positive. Good to hear about your scan experience, thank you.

Does anyone else have any recent experience they can share? xx

vivien14 Mon 10-Sep-12 14:53:52

bump

MorelloKiss Sat 27-Apr-13 19:29:02

Just wondering if there are any more of you ladies out there with feedback you can share on the new facilities.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now