Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Costs of private birth at Lindo wing - thoughts on Lorna Phelan???

(12 Posts)
Minnieheehee Wed 01-Aug-12 20:53:58

We are considering going to the Lindo wing for number 2 (who we are trying for now!) We've met with Lorna Phelan who we thought was wonderful - 2 questions
1. Anyone actually been under her ( I am hoping for a VBAC and she was very reassuring)
2. How much did you spend? personal I know (but hey its mumsnet!) Her secretary gave us an estimate - but wondered what other peoples experiences were?

SweetPea3 Wed 01-Aug-12 22:07:31

Hey, I'm 28 weeks with my first and going to the Lindo, but under a different consultant. Obviously I can't tell you the total final cost, as that is going to be a surprise for me too shock , but my consultant's fee is a fixed price of £7k and I have the price list for the Lindo which is:

£4,965 for normal delivery
£5,500 for instrumental delivery
£6,420 for c sec

... the above prices include a one night stay. Additional nights are charged at £900/night for a standard room.

Fortunately my insurer pays up to £12k, but I am still expecting a shortfall (i.e. for additional nights; nursery care (which insurer doesn't pay for); shortfall for individual elements which are no doubt capped).

I did a tour recently, so let me know if you have any questions!

MacMac123 Wed 01-Aug-12 22:38:56

I don't understand why you'd pay so much when just across the hallway it's all free, with the same consultants (should u need them although admittedly you won't have met them before). And they have that great new natural birth centre.

I had DS there 3 years ago in the cheap seats ( free parts). Stayed 3 nights for free. Saw a consultant when I asked to. Midwives were great. Ok so I was on a ward and there was noise but as you're half out of it anyway didn't really mind and certainly don't remember.

Anyway, just my views. The irony is actually could afford private but I feel I pay so much tax (am self employed with my own business), I rarely use any 'services' (apart from the roads!) whereas some people use loads of services tax payers fund. So this is my chance to use a service and at least feel I'm getting something for the tax I pay!!! smile

SweetPea3 Wed 01-Aug-12 22:52:16

MacMac - funny, I look at it from the opposite perspective... people who can afford private health, private school fees, etc should be encouraged to opt out of the public system to preserve resources for those who genuinely can't afford to pay themselves.

Secondly, I could go to St Mary's on the NHS and might have a similar experience to the Lindo (in the respect of having the same/similar consultant), but equally, there is a very real chance that the NHS side of things will be seriously understaffed and I don't want to take the risk that this may have adverse consequences.

Anyway, moot point for me on the financial side as I'm (mostly) covered by insurance.

HmmThinkingAboutIt Wed 01-Aug-12 23:25:25

Perhaps because NHS care around the country is such a damn lottery, maybe paying offers reassurance and an element of feeling like you will be treated like an individual rather than a piece of meat on a factory conveyor belt.

A sizeable number of women travel surprisingly far to have private birth in a maternity ward... I'm fairly sure its not about being snobby or because they have huge amounts of cash to burn.

In fact, I'd go as far to say, there are plenty of reasons why women would turn private. If people starting to ask more questions about this, I can't help but think it might actually help the NHS standards out there...

Minnieheehee Wed 01-Aug-12 23:44:42

MacMac, the reason for going private is Unfortunately for me I had a horrific time on the Nhs- eg left for 36 hours after an emergency section without any checks been done, filthy ward, I was exhausted not because of ds but because it was like a zoo 24-7.... I could go on but won't! Ante natal care outstanding - from birth onwards horrific.
Sweetpea- thx! We did the tour too, I'm just investigating the possibility of 'hidden' extras!

PuffPants Wed 01-Aug-12 23:54:45

Can I ask you how much it costs if you just want to give birth there, with all ante-natal care in the NHS?

My one and only reason would be for the guaranteed epidural when I want it not when somebody else decides I am allowed it!

Minnieheehee Thu 02-Aug-12 04:11:57

Lol at puff pants, it's down to individual consultants, but around Hal their fee. Hospital fee stays the same.

SweetPea3 Thu 02-Aug-12 09:16:54

PuffPants - I have read elsewhere on here about people going to a private ward, but having a midwife-led birth (rather than consultant-led) which makes it much more economical. Not sure if Lindo offers this - I think I recall someone talking about doing it at the Kensington Wing of Chelsea & Westminster.

amo245 Tue 14-Aug-12 17:03:28

Hi - I had my baby on the Lindo Wing two weeks ago under the care of Raj Rai (whom I highly recommend). I opted for a delivery only package (he took over my care from the NHS at 34 weeks). The final bill was £10K exactly. I stayed in hospital for two nights and had an assisted delivery.

Best wishes and good luck with everything.

Kaki123 Sat 10-Nov-12 12:42:42

Hello sweetpea3- could i ask you which insurance covers for your maternity cost up to 12k?

SelinarKhan Mon 17-Dec-12 10:18:30

Hi! I am currently out of the country but am keen on emailing Dr Lorna Phelan's office to ask if she will take me on as a patient! I am 15 weeks pregnant. any help would be appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now