Losing weight after birth

(10 Posts)
henrysmama2012 Fri 22-Jun-12 09:48:38

I know that losing weight is about the last thing in a persons mind after just having given birth!-but I thought it might be useful to pass on an experience that I had/am having. I am almost 13 weeks out from a c section and have eaten very healthily and after 7ish weeks, exercised (about 2-3 times a week) - aside from the initial big weightloss right after the birth, the scales literally stuck at the same place for about 6 weeks!-which made me realise that possible there are some hormonal shenanigans going on that actually could make it very easy for a bunch of weight to go back on again if I hadn't been so careful. Now the weight has really started shifting again (maybe hormones have properly settled down?) and weightloss is what I would call normal for the way I eat and workout. But I just wanted to pass on that observation as I'd have loved to have been aware of this before giving birth. I totally believe that it shouldn't be a priority to lose weight quickly!!-but I would have stressed less about the no movement on the scales had I known that this is probably fairly normal...

Newtothisstuff Fri 22-Jun-12 09:55:18

I'm 5 weeks after my 2nd section.. I've also been eating healthily, I've not really started exercising as yet but I'm taking the dog on long walks twice a day, I swear I'm getting fatter.. I'm hoping it's just gonna be stuck for a few weeks before it starts coming off again. Im only like 7lb off my pre pregnancy weight

Cheekychops84 Fri 22-Jun-12 11:00:11

i have heard (never had one myself mind) that having a c section means you hold onto water longer ?? but dont take my word for it ! also what exersise have you been doing if you dont mind me asking as i was thiking brisk walking in the first weeks?

PiggyMad Fri 22-Jun-12 11:23:17

I nearly 11 weeks after VB and my weight also seems to have stuck at about 10lbs above my pre-preg weight. It is quite depressing, but I am breastfeeding and apparently some people hold onto a bit of extra weight until they stop.

emsyj Fri 22-Jun-12 11:24:39

Are you breastfeeding? I clung on to all my weight until I stopped bf (when DD turned 1) and then I lost a stone in a week out of nowhere - it was bizarre. I then had to do a spot of dieting to get rid of the last stone.

MangoHedgehog Fri 22-Jun-12 11:29:45

I also found I couldn't lose any weight until I stopped bfing. Am currently 38wks+4 and have totally ballooned again sad and am vain/shallow enough to be already planning my diet/exercise regime for when baby has arrived - lots of salads and as much running as I can cope with!

QTPie Fri 22-Jun-12 13:36:07

Agree with you - there is little point in worrying at that stage.

I was very lucky and all my pregnancy (about 24lbs) weight came off two weeks after my ELCS. Then I continued to loose until I stopped breastfeeding (at 11 months) and ended up a stone less than pre-preg (am still 12lbs lighter and DS is 2 and 1/4).

Forget about weight and just concentrate on eating right and exercising right (or keeping active) and your body will take care of itself.

I think if weight is a concern, then the best thing is to eat healthily (and very little extra) and exercise during pregnancy: then anything put on is just baby weight or fat needed by the baby.

QT

henrysmama2012 Fri 22-Jun-12 18:34:05

I stopped breastfeeding (health reasons) after a few weeks...it was strange how the scales didn't move!-my diet is very healthy (when I say diet I mean what I am eating, which is v healthy not a crazy 'diet', if you get what I mean)-and I am doing 45mins and some dumbbell exercises when I do work out...but the scales not moving all that time was very demotivating!-& I realised how easy it might be for some of us that experience this to actually put on weight during that time. I couldn't work out hardly at all during pregnancy as I was so tired and out of breath, else I would have done!smile

henrysmama2012 Fri 22-Jun-12 18:34:46

Ps 45 mins cross trainer level 10-ish, that was meant to say!

alvinareagan Sun 14-Feb-16 22:21:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now