Talk

Advanced search

39 weeks and Braxton Hicks frequent

(17 Posts)
TopazMortmain Fri 27-Jan-12 12:19:09

That's it basically. I have been having them every ten to twenty minutes all afternoon and it's driving me crazy. Bath and gym ball seems to help but is this normal? Trying not to worry about every twinge like a crazy woman...

rosebery Fri 27-Jan-12 15:22:38

I had these on my due date. Went into hospital 2 days later for antenatal check and found out I was 3cm dilated. The bh contractions were in fact early labour and established labour didn't start for another 18 hours.

The good news is that the first stage of labour was relatively short - about 6 hours before I needed to push, not bad for a first labour.

Have you got a tens machine? It really helped for me. Good luck!

TopazMortmain Fri 27-Jan-12 15:48:10

Oooh! I would love it to be early labour. Fingers crossed...! I have an appt on Monday so let's see.

cravingcake Fri 27-Jan-12 15:56:47

Fingers crossed for you. I hate to say it but if a bath and the ball seems to help then it may not be early labour. It depends on how you mean by helping. If its stopping the contraction feeling then its more likely to just be BH, but if they are still there but the change of activity is helping you cope through each tightening then this is a good sign that its early labour. Either way, it will not be long (I hated it when people told me that but it really wont be).

TopazMortmain Fri 27-Jan-12 15:59:00

Thanks cravingcake they don't make the bh go away, just sort of distract me and relax me iykwim. Am going to try and have a nap and ignore them smile

cravingcake Fri 27-Jan-12 20:14:46

That's a good sign...... I've got my fingers crossed for you. Definitely try to nap/sleep as if it's labour starting you will need it. If its not then you have had a good rest which is always a good thing.

Once I was in established labour I did say to my partner after I'd had a lovely bath (admittedly at the hospital) the 'I'd enough of the distraction, I want proper drugs now' so really hoping this is the start for you.

Dozeyland Sat 28-Jan-12 20:36:42

I started getting BH's with DD early on, and they were also very regular. 2days before I had dd i was 2-3cms, then the next few days i was 3-4cms (without realising - BH's were just tight) then DD made her appearance the next day. also classed as early labour, but it was nothing! then once the proper contractions started - she didnt take long! couple of hours! BH's are good practice for your uterus!

TopazMortmain Sun 29-Jan-12 01:40:14

Thanks cravingcake and dozeyland - the BH are still going strong but no other signs or symptoms... Driving me crazy. Hoping there will have been some progress by the time I have my dr appointment tomorrow grin

Dozeyland Sun 29-Jan-12 15:12:16

Good luck, post if any update smile

Enraha Sun 29-Jan-12 17:01:08

Similar timings to you (39 weeks), hate to say it but I've had the last 5 evenings of very strong BH and sharp painful twinges, which tail off during the day when I'm more active, but nothing vaguely similar to established labour, as I remember it from last time round.

TopazMortmain Mon 30-Jan-12 03:21:22

So had appointment (39+2) (am not in Europe hence weird time zone post grin) and... Nothing! Baby not engaged, I am exhausted and follow up in a week. It's so demoralizing because the BH are literally every 20 minutes.

Ashamed to say I actually burst into tears when I found out that progress was nil. Mostly because I can't sleep so exhausted and cannot eat as being sick constantly.

Back to the bouncy ball and maybe a nap.

ChocolateBiscuitCake Mon 30-Jan-12 13:28:50

Enormous hugs - I feel your heartache. Been there, done that. Now pregnant with DC3 and the BH are regular and sore but only 37 weeks so unlikely to be labour for me (especially when my others have gone so overdue!).

My midwife swears by clary sage to induce labour.

Please don't bounce too much - it is unlikely to ripen the cervix. Your time is best spent resting and sleeping.

TopazMortmain Mon 30-Jan-12 14:03:00

Thanks chocolatebiscuitcake I actually need want to see this stupid ball again. Have moved to the sofa grin and am determined to ignore the fact that I am pregnant, vomity and tired as all hell. Distraction is the way forward.

I can feel the ball looking at me though confused

Spatone Mon 30-Jan-12 16:00:29

40 weeks is an average. Your baby is due anytime between 37 and 42 weeks. When the contractions are coming 3 in 10 mins and lasting more than 30 seconds - Call your midwife! Sounds like things are starting! Good luck!

Bake some cakes - it is a good way of keeping occupied.

SoundOfHerWings Mon 30-Jan-12 16:20:21

Try not to obsess over it all- the baby will come eventually. (I realise this is easy to say when you're not massively pregnant). I had regular braxton hicks every 7 minutes for 12 days! Occasionally they got more painful, sometimes they died off for an hour or so. I was totally exhausted with frustration, going through phases of timing them, ignoring them, going for walks, bouncing etc. On the plus side, by the time I was actually in labour I didn't notice for about 9 hours, which made the whole thing seem much shorter!

Spatone Mon 30-Jan-12 16:39:49

Sometimes you get bouts of contractions when your baby is trying to turn into a better position. So use them by sitting on a ball or leaning over the sink, hands and knees doing some cleaning? You get the idea!

Staceyella Fri 31-Jul-15 14:47:32

Braxton hicks for two nights now for bout 45 mins, but last night followed by emptying my bowels. Due on Tuesday but I been having bad cramps followed by sickness or runs or both. What could it mean?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now