Talk

Advanced search

How big was your DCs head??

(34 Posts)

Hello, suppose this is a bit of therapy for me. I'm trying to feel justified with the way my birth went by maybe thinking DS head was big (clutching at straws but I really wanted him to just slide out!!!). His head circ was 37.2 (.2, see what I mean about clutching!!) which I think was 91st centile.
Come on, that's fairly big right???

NickNacks Mon 24-Oct-11 21:51:18

Yes it is! Ds1 was also 37cm and I had major trauma 'downstairs'.

thisisyesterday Mon 24-Oct-11 21:52:19

#i think the smallest of my 3 was 37.5 and the biggest was 38.5

and yes, that is large and painful! lol

ZombiesAteYourCervix Mon 24-Oct-11 21:52:39

37 is pretty chunky.

Eglu Mon 24-Oct-11 21:53:11

It is big, yes. My DC were 35cm, 36cm and 34cm.

SazZaVoom Mon 24-Oct-11 21:55:08

31cm. No benefit though as she came out the sunroof grin

ah, bless you all.

NickNacks - I am ruined down there!!!

thisis....my eyes are watering!!!

NickNacks Mon 24-Oct-11 21:58:49

I think the culprits have the same name too!

thisisyesterday Mon 24-Oct-11 22:03:21

interestingly though, my second 2 were both born at home and I didn't even tear.
so I think it's less about how big the head is and more about how your labour is managed and how you actually give birth.

I think a friend of a friend said she tore really badly with her first, who was quite small, but had no probs with her much larger second baby

NickNacks - think we may have the same name too!

thisis - I think you're right, I could kick myself for how it ended up, I can see the chain of events so clearly now and how if I'd been a bit stronger and less impatient it could have been a different story. Oh well, you live and learn!

NickNacks Mon 24-Oct-11 22:09:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NickNacks Mon 24-Oct-11 22:10:20

smile

TheSecondComing Mon 24-Oct-11 22:12:58

openerofjars Mon 24-Oct-11 22:17:47

No idea but he got stuck, the bugger. And DH got told off by the midwife for going on about how massive his own head is, a la "Ooh, yes, can't get hats to fit, me. Massive skull. Runs in my family, too: all the men in my family have huge heads... "

It's the luck of the draw: don't kick yourself.

rathlin Mon 24-Oct-11 22:18:46

I don't know the circumference of my DS's head but it was over the 97th centile. He is 2.5 and hat shopping is a nightmare. I've just bought him some winter hats from JL and they only do them in two sizes - he is wearing the 6yrs+

thisisyesterday Mon 24-Oct-11 22:29:10

jamesmum... same here with ds1! i was a classic cascade of intervention case!

and rathlin... ditto! ds2 is almost 4 and is wearing age 7-10 hat! lol

TheSecondComing...so they got smaller, that gives me hope (39cm tho, hellfire)

openerofjars - hilarious, tho not at the time obv!

rathlin - aw bless him, wonder if that'll be DS in a couple of years.

TheSecondComing Mon 24-Oct-11 22:52:36

bruffin Mon 24-Oct-11 22:53:45

Don't know what Ds,s was, but it was so small it was off the charts. His head was cone cone shape from a 24 hour labour.

4madboys Mon 24-Oct-11 22:54:42

ds4 had a 41cm head when born, 10lb 13oz had him in the pool no stitched required!

the others were 38-39.5 cm, dd was the smallest at 8lb, the others were 9lb +. dd was the last baby and had the smallest head as well, all 42wks over as well.

GhoulishGlendaFestersAgain Mon 24-Oct-11 22:55:43

34 and 34.5 cm. Sunroof exit here too though

4madboys - I salute you!

LynetteScavo Mon 24-Oct-11 22:58:06

DC1 was 37cm and only 2 stitches [stretchy fanjo emoticon]

ha imagine a stretchy fanjo emoticon?!! Nice.
Anyone tried any stretchy fanjo massage prior to birth, if so any success?

4madboys Mon 24-Oct-11 23:03:55

well it made me wince! the midwife was shock and re measured to check, they couldnt believe he was so big as i am 5 2 and had a small bump, i had a mammoth placenta as well, it was the object of much admiration as diff midwives came in to look at it! not sure where it all fitted tbh, he is still big now, all my boys are fairly big and have big heads (dp's fault as he has a big head, has to have the largest size motor bike helmet etc) i think it was being in the water that meant i didnt tear. i was pleased when dd came out smaller although she was back to back so it actually hurt more...go figure!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now