Talk

Advanced search

Terms of Engagement

(2 Posts)
stripeymummy Fri 21-Oct-11 12:25:06

Hiya, I am 3/5ths engaged and 37+2. I would like to know if there is any timescale related to how soon one might go into labour related to the level of engagement? Does this make sense?

For example, will I be 4/5ths next week? And therefore 5/5ths the following? And will this have any bearing on induction? I am being induced at 38+5 (the 31st), and would being still 3/4/5ths engaged mean I have a much longer and harder labour? Conversely, is there a chance I could go into labour sooner related to where I am at the moment? - which really isn't an option (being induced for medical reasons and really need to stick to this date).

I have noticed that I'm getting more back ache, hip pain and BH in the last day or so - is this related to where the baby is engaged, or a sign of things starting to kick off?

1st time mum and have no bloody clue (if you hadn't already guessed wink). All advice/info welcome - thanks smile

ALotToTakeIn Fri 21-Oct-11 14:57:49

The number relates to the proportion of the baby's head which is still palpable above your pubic bone so 1/5 is more engaged than 5/5s. This figure can go both ways- I was 1/5 at 38 weeks and back up to 3/5s when I saw the MW on tuesday. Equally some babies seem to fully engage days before they appear and others only engage at the last moment before labour begins.
Fingers crossed your bump stays put til the 31st.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now