Talk

Advanced search

Repair to minor damage caused by stitches - is it worth it?

(10 Posts)
LiegeAndLief Thu 20-Oct-11 13:51:12

Warning - TMI!

I had a second degree tear 2 years ago which was stitched up and healed with no problems. However, I've been left with something a bit like a large fleshy skin tag just at the entrance to my vagina. It doesn't hurt at all, or cause any physical problems - in fact I didn't even notice it until my periods came back and I started using tampons! Dh claims to have not noticed (but I wouldn't put money on him knowing what colour eyes I have..). But now I know it's there it is really bothering me psychologically. I often catch it when I'm wiping or changing tampons so I can't just forget about it.

Has anyone had similar and done something about it? I'm assuming a doctor could sort of snip it off, but I'm worried that it would be very painful and don't know whether it would be worth it.

Apologies for posting about something so trivial - I feel a real wuss worrying over this compared to what some people on here are suffering with after giving birth!

ALotToTakeIn Thu 20-Oct-11 16:46:29

I was born with something a bit like that and it used to be a bit of a problem with tampons and also during sex. I have it snipped and reshaped I guess is the right word, about 8 years ago and it has been so much better since.
It was unpleasant healing up and I used a ring cushion for about 10 days/2weeks but nothing major. The worst bit was the GA which I really didn't get on with and the kindly 50something male gynae telling me after that he had had a good check and the rest of down there was all in great shape- I was 19 at the time! urgggh.

LiegeAndLief Thu 20-Oct-11 21:49:33

Thanks for that ALot. I think it is mostly the potential for unpleasant healing which is putting me off, having spent a week in quite a lot of pain recovering from the stitches in the first place, but equally I really really don't want it there for the rest of my life. Glad your op healed up well in the end - it must have been a fairly mortifying thing to go through at 19! After 2 dc I think I have lost all dignity and modesty so at least I don't have that to worry about...

cece Thu 20-Oct-11 21:52:32

I had similar. Had mine done when DD was 7 months old on day surgery ward. Only had a local as BF and it was done really quickly and back to work the next day. It was really easy to have done and well worth it imo.

sprinkles77 Thu 20-Oct-11 21:58:39

I had a small op to remove something down there too. Healing was fine. Booked 2 weeks off work but back after one (it was a sit-down-all-day job). Sex again( carefully) after about 3 weeks. The GA was the worst bit!

LiegeAndLief Thu 20-Oct-11 22:26:16

Thanks again. All this talk of GA is worrying me - do you really need one? I've had a cs without one, this thing looks like it just needs a quick snip with some sharp scissors! (not that I'm about to try it myself..)

sprinkles77 Thu 20-Oct-11 22:49:49

You can ask about alternatives to GA. I did. The surgeon preferred GA as it was intricate surgery and it was better if there was no risk I would move. He gave local too for post op pain relief (it also reduces bleeding). It actually took 40 minutes and is more complicated than just snipping it off as they need to position the scar to avoid friction and further tears.

cece Fri 21-Oct-11 14:29:57

I had mine down under local so no GA for me. They wanted to do it with GA but as I was still BF they couldnt.

idlevice Sat 22-Oct-11 02:08:36

If you are thinking of having another child anytime soon with a vaginal delivery you could wait to see if you will need any more repairing done & then have it all done at the same time, if you can put up with it until then. Sorry to be pessimistic but it is another option.

LiegeAndLief Sat 22-Oct-11 19:48:43

sprinkles, I didn't think about the scar tissue. I guess it needs to be very carefully done or you just end up with the same problem as before!

cece, I am actually still bfing my 2yo, but I could easily not feed her for a few days so probably not a good enough excuse...

idlevice, absolutely never ever ever again! grin Definitely NOT an option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now