Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When should I go to hospital? (Can't decide if it's now or not).

(6 Posts)
SaffronCake Mon 17-Oct-11 22:30:51

Is my 3rd baby (last one only 12 months ago) and I am due on Friday (but last one 9 days early).

Am having miserably strong BH (or is it the real thing) which is not to a time pattern. Am also having back pain.

Obviously when contractions become regular or if my waters go I need to go to hospital. Can we think of any other excuses indicators? Is there a tidy list lying around somewhere?

TBH I'd rather not phone the midwife for advice, I don't like her. I'd rather wait until i can phone delivery suite. Can I yet? Do I have an excuse yet?

GHAHSTLYGHOULYpants Mon 17-Oct-11 22:32:59

Call the delivery suit now and have chat to them.

CONGRATULATIONS!! how exciting!

banana87 Mon 17-Oct-11 22:36:47

If they are not regular then they will tell you to hang tight until they are. I would personally wait until they are regular THEN call.

SaffronCake Sat 22-Oct-11 09:01:29

Banana you were right, they did tell me to hang tight. I wish I'd ignored them because it turns out what was happening was baby was transverse (not engaged, not breech, actually sideways) and my body was trying to go into labour and it couldn't establish.

It turns out we were very, very lucky as we'd have died before we could even get to the hospital if labour had managed to start itself.

The moral of the story? Don't be scared to get sent home again. If in doubt- go.

BikeRunSki Sat 22-Oct-11 09:12:57

Glad you rang. That's what I did on Tuesday pm, had Dd at 11.46.
Still here, long story which I will post when I get home.
Congratulations.

SaffronCake Sat 22-Oct-11 09:22:59

Congrats BikeRunSki, I am glad you're Ok.

When I rang they told me not to come in. I should have ignored them. I KNEW that wasn't Braxton Hicks. I sort-of-laboured through the night until about 3am and then it went away and I got some uncomfortable sleep in snatched bits.

It just so happens my community midwife saw me the next morning by chance. She realised the problem and sent me to hospital. Like you I've got a long story, but the net result is we're here to tell it.

If anyone is reading this on the fence- just go. Worst case scenario is you waste an afternoon hanging about flicking through 3 year old copies of Prima. Worst case scenario if you don't go is far less mundane.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now