Talk

Advanced search

Midwives in the room

(16 Posts)
Nearlycooked Mon 17-Oct-11 19:51:07

Will the midwife stay with you at all times or will she bog off and give you a bit of "me" time! Think I would want a bit of space from tome to time???

rubyslippers Mon 17-Oct-11 19:53:17

My mws both times left me to it for much of the time

They were both in the room but often just perched in a corner

tinky19 Mon 17-Oct-11 19:53:20

Mine came and went throughout. smile

VivaLeBeaver Mon 17-Oct-11 19:57:17

If you feel you want some space then tell her. I think most midwives are good at reading women and will stay if they feel needed, thats if they havent got another two women to look after as well. But if not needed will pop in and out once.

I did once have someone say that they wanted to be left on their own for labour as much as possible and could I just come in to do minimum observations. Which was fine.

thisisyesterday Mon 17-Oct-11 19:58:14

if yo're in hospital then I can almost guarantee you that the midwife will NOT be with you at all times. she'll have several other women she needs to attend to as well

GuillotinedMaryLacey Mon 17-Oct-11 20:00:57

Mine pissed off for most of the time, and when she was there she was sitting at a desk with her back to me. I had more space than I knew what to do with, unfortunately.

TotallyKerplunked Mon 17-Oct-11 20:17:01

if your at my hospital then you will have to go in search of a midwife, in 12hrs she checked on me once (and there was only 1 other lady in labour). I was induced due to pre-eclampsia and when I found her my bp was epic, delivery 26 minutes later, very lucky not to end up with EMCS. angry

thistlemuncher Mon 17-Oct-11 21:16:12

Ours asked if we wanted to be left alone. She had a couple of other ladies that she was keeping an eye on as well towards the end so DH and I were alone when he suddenly said "Oh my god, oh my god, I can see the head" and scrambled frantically for the alarm button....

MrsHuxtable Mon 17-Oct-11 21:24:43

That is shocking Totally!

cat64 Mon 17-Oct-11 21:27:50

Message withdrawn

JoinTheDots Mon 17-Oct-11 21:36:35

My experience was v different, my MW stayed with me all the time, but I think it was a very quiet night and I arrived ready to push so she did not have long to stay with me anyway before it was all over.

GuillotinedMaryLacey Mon 17-Oct-11 21:46:21

Mine was only 4 hours so not exactly a long labour but I saw more of the woman with the tea trolley than I did a mw for my entire stay.

liquorice1 Mon 17-Oct-11 22:29:44

Hi
Mostly the midwife will stay with you when your in established labour. So thats more than 4cms she will pop in and out but most midwives will see how you are. Some women walk around, some women need more support, its on an individual basis. You could try a home birth then your midwife will be in your home she cant go any where good luck smile

Nearlycooked Tue 18-Oct-11 07:40:44

Thanks for replies. Hard to know what to expect isn't it !!

YougreatPumpkinmousse Tue 18-Oct-11 07:44:37

Both my labours I had a MW in the room at all times, although DD2 arrived shortly after I arrived. I had an amazing student with DD2 as well who offered to run baths/get snacks, collect bags from the car so DH could be with me all the time.

Dartfordmummy Thu 20-Oct-11 00:19:39

Mine went out the room to get a pen and came back to find a trainee on her first day holding my DS!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now