Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Did your waters break in a big woosh or bit at a time?

(32 Posts)
ALotToTakeIn Mon 17-Oct-11 16:44:07

This morning I think my waters broke- but only a bit. I had a few good trickles of fluid that wasn't pee and I've been having period type cramping on and off since Friday. But since this morning nothing else, is that normal? I'm guessing there must be more fluid in there but when will that come out?

BigBoobiedBertha Mon 17-Oct-11 16:51:01

Mine wasn't a whoosh and nor was it a trickle. It was sort of in between.

Have you seen a midwife? You should get checked out - she should be able to tell you for sure if they have gone too.

Waters do replenish themselves and the rest will probably come out with your baby.

Good luck though, sounds like things are happening. smile

Sam100 Mon 17-Oct-11 16:51:59

Mine were a bit at a time - one mini splurge then slow leakage from then on. You should give your midwife/birth unit a call as they usually like you to go in for a check - even though in all likelihood they will send you home if you are not having contractions. Midwife said it was my hind waters that had broken hence the slow leakage.

My waters went at about 6am when I got up to go for a wee - went into the hospital about 9 am ish - came home again about 11 am ish - went back in again at about 5 pm ish for a check up as they had forgotten to do something at the am check - got sent home again as still no contractions with instructions to come back in again first thing the next day if I had still not started contracting (over 24 hours they like to give you antibiotics in case of infection). So back home contractions started in the evening - went into hospital in the early hours of the morning - baby born later that day!

Good luck - hopefully not too long to go now!

GuillotinedMaryLacey Mon 17-Oct-11 16:52:45

POP!

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

Splaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash

For ages... smile

ALotToTakeIn Mon 17-Oct-11 17:54:13

I've got my 39 week appointment with midwife tomorrow anyway so will just wait for that unless I get any more coming out, in which case I will ring the hospital. Seems amazing that after all the waiting things might be starting to happen.

neolara Mon 17-Oct-11 17:56:00

Mine went with a determined trickle, not a whoosh. However, with DC3 there was an audible POP, which was quite disconcerting.

BartletForAmerica Mon 17-Oct-11 18:16:39

Mine went while I was pushing, definitely a trickle rather than a pop for me.

GreenMonkies Mon 17-Oct-11 18:18:27

First baby yes, classic Pop-Whoosh, mid contraction. Second baby it was a constant trickle during several contractions.

hayleysd Mon 17-Oct-11 18:20:44

You should really get checked out today cos if they've gone they only give you so many hours to go into labour in case of infection, please ring as dp's cousin didn't know hers had gone and her baby ended up quite poorly in scbu (fine now).

bruffin Mon 17-Oct-11 18:21:52

Mine were both very slow trickles

However when I was in hospital waiting for DS to be born I did hear an audible POP from the other side of the room as someones waters broke

MinnieBloodBar Mon 17-Oct-11 18:22:00

First baby - bit of a trickle at 6.30am, my first very sleepy thought was 'has my period started' blush, subsequently broken at hospital
Second baby - broken by midwife
Third baby - shuffling to the loo thinking I was going to be sick, felt the 'POP!' and then just a trickle. About an hour later an absolutely MASSIVE gush. All over the mattress which dried clear and we sold it and as I was on my hands and knees I was kind of in it, nice...

Anyway, I'd definitely say get checked out before tmrw as they like to see if there's any meconium. Good luck!

pallymama Mon 17-Oct-11 18:27:08

I had mine broken in the hospital, so not really applicable here, but I would say it was more of a stab, WOOOOoooosh, then lots of thrashing about due to the crochet hook that was caught in my fanjo. Not the highlight of DDs birth. grin

MrsJasonBourne Mon 17-Oct-11 18:53:15

The midwife had to break mine with both dd1 & dd2, I guess mine is just tough! grin

MrsJasonBourne Mon 17-Oct-11 18:55:21

Oh and yes once it was broken, severe gushing all over the place.

Good luck!

One of each. First was a trickle in the middle of the night, second was a waterfall in the middle of the kitchen, several hours after having a sweep. Do phone the hospital, as others have said they may want you to have antibiotics, or only let you wait for a limited period before delivering due to risk of infection.

ALotToTakeIn Mon 17-Oct-11 19:03:43

Thank you ladies smile will ring maternity unit as it has started up again and see what they want me to do. eeek!

BigBoobiedBertha Mon 17-Oct-11 20:58:41

How exciting!! Let us know how you are getting on.

ALotToTakeIn Mon 17-Oct-11 21:55:57

Nothing exciting as yet. MW wants me to go to the assessment unit tomorrow to have a look so that will give me something to do. Cramping has faded away to nothing again while I'm sitting down and then very uncomfortable when I stand up, so cuddled up to DH on sofa watching TV smile

Robotindisguise Tue 18-Oct-11 07:58:57

Really? Mine only went with a trickle at 1am, when I rang the midwife led unit at 9 they said I should have come straight in at 1am - and that I had 24 hours from then to start labour in earnest or I had to be induced (not necessary thankfully)

PeggyCarter Tue 18-Oct-11 08:11:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Spinosaur Tue 18-Oct-11 09:07:42

Hello,

I am sitting waiting (39 weeks). DD was induced and I didn't feel the waters go as had the epidural/drip thing going. As a result, when my waters went with DS I didn't realise so when he came two weeks early with no waters I was asked when they had gone. I think that must have been that slow trickle, which I thought was just discharge, the week before. Luckily, no infection etc. I guess, as with any aspect of childbirth, it is different for everybody.

saoirse86 Tue 18-Oct-11 11:34:46

I had a little bit come out 3 days before giving birth, the mw's thought that was a bit of hind water though.

Then I actually pushed my waters out whilst pushing and they came out all intact like a very yucky balloon!

The mw kept my waters to show the student mw's! grin

redexpat Fri 21-Oct-11 15:10:09

Whoosh. Whilst I was sitting on the toilet. Do I get extra points for not making a mess?

Hopstheduck Fri 21-Oct-11 15:20:54

trickle, I'd get seen. smile

ALotToTakeIn Fri 21-Oct-11 20:37:49

Got seen, MW concluded they hadn't broken just a huge amount of discharge. Cramping disappeared and I'm still waiting ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now