Talk

Advanced search

has anybody had an earlyish sweep (37/38 weeks) that worked?

(13 Posts)
tinky19 Mon 17-Oct-11 13:00:24

Hello. I'm 33+1 weeks preg and due to DS being very difficult (back to back, inductions, got to 10cm, emcs) my consuktant has said I can have sweeps from about 37/38 weeks to hopefully get things going in the hope of a successful VBAC.
Anyone had one this early that worked?
Thanks

tinky19 Mon 17-Oct-11 17:02:02

oh dear, I'll take that as a no then?

BartletForAmerica Mon 17-Oct-11 18:19:33

Sorry, didn't want this to go unanswered. I've never heard of anyone having early sweeps so I don't know anyone where it has worked, but definitely worth a go, isn't it?

tinky19 Mon 17-Oct-11 19:51:52

thanks,
will give it a go, was just hoping for some positie stories to give me a boost. They're going to do them every 3 days from 37/38 weeks. I'm wondering if they have a sort of cumulative effect?

Iggly Mon 17-Oct-11 19:56:11

Is there a risk of infection with repeated sweeps? I'd really push back on that.

Honestly - I'd get a second opinion and look to go into labour naturally - surely you'd have more success that way because you and baby will be ready.

tinky19 Mon 17-Oct-11 19:59:49

Natural labour just didn't happen last time. I was 16 days over and even with the drip turned up to full whack it was slow going and ds had to be delivered by emcs.
I don't trust my body to do it naturally and feeling terrified of VBAC and 2nd emcs.

Iggly Mon 17-Oct-11 20:17:42

If you're terrified of VBAC and don't trust your body, then why are you attempting a VBAC?

This will sound a bit "hippy", but your mindset will impact on how you give birth. If you tell yourself you can't do it then you make it harder and almost set yourself up for a bad experience.

I think you need to talk to your consultant about the upcoming labour and how you would like to deal with different outcomes. The early sweeps might be a good idea and might work in sending you into labour earlier - would that make you feel more positive about a VBAC?

Backinthebox Mon 17-Oct-11 20:30:22

You have to have faith that a VBAC is going to work to try it - going into into it with such fear is not a good thing. And to really have the best chance you need to have the backing of a professional who can instil that confidence in you and help you have the best chance of a favourable outcome. IMO you should be spending the last few weeks of pregnancy relaxing, getting you and your baby comfortable (optimal foetal positioning till you are fed up of it. Well worth the effort if your baby is so well positioned they just slip out!) Not having sweeps to get things going because you are afraid of what might happen if you rely on your own body.

Have a bit more faith in yourself, start planning now for non-intervention ways to help yourself (OFP, reflexology, osteopathy, acupunture - whatever floats your boat. It you can't treat yourself now, when can you?) And try and get a bit more of the right kind of support from your HCPs.

VBACs can be great (I know! I've had a brilliant one.) But you have to go into it with the right mindset or the fear will cripple you.

tinky19 Mon 17-Oct-11 21:24:56

the idea of vbac terrifies me but another c section scares me even more! sad
I have tried hypnotherapy but it's not giving me the tranquillity i was hoping it would.
I saw my vbac consultant at 27 weeks and asked all the questions i could possibly think of and she was very keen for me to go for it so i went away feeling quite positive but this has since dwindled.
I'm not due to see her again now till 40+1 weeks (when she's planning on doing another sweep!)
I'm spending hours on my birthing ball but I did that last time and ds was still back to back (his shoulders also got stuck)
Sorry if this sounds very pathetic and self indulgent.

Iggly Mon 17-Oct-11 21:34:29

Not pathetic or self indulgent at all. You need to see your consultant and/or MW sooner than 40+ weeks. You should also consider getting an independent midwife or doula with experience of VBACs because they will give you confidence to go for a VBAC. it's also worth looking into VBACs and childbirth in general - try the AIMS website - to get your confidence up and read positive stories.

Iggly Mon 17-Oct-11 21:37:03

Also there are other ways to get your baby in the right position - get on all fours, sit with knees lower than hips (so watch sitting in sofas and slouching at desks), lie on your left hand side etc etc. Google optimal feral positioning for ideas!

CareerChangeWanted Mon 17-Oct-11 21:39:44

I had a sweep at 39 weeks (so not that early!) with my first for a variety of reasons I won't bother going into related to it not being a great idea for things to go overdue for me. Went into labour the next day and delivered within 4 hours of first contraction. Obstetrician recommended this course of action. Midwives councilled against it. I'm a BIG fan of midwife led care so don't take this as a criticism of the midwives, but on this occasion and in the circumstances, the doctor was correct IMHO.

Backinthebox Mon 17-Oct-11 21:44:28

I would second the advice for an independent MW or a doula. I had and IM, and she was invaluable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now