Talk

Advanced search

Gas and air - what's it like?

(234 Posts)
mamatomanygirls Sun 16-Oct-11 16:39:59

Hi, I am due to give birth to no.4 in 7 weeks.

This time I would really like to try and avoid an epidural for various reasons. However I've always been scared of gas and air as I have a complete horror of vomiting or even feeling sick and I've heard it can make you nauseous.

What is it like? Does it really help with the pain? Does it make you feel sick and lightheaded too?

Thanks in advance.x

barbie1 Sun 16-Oct-11 16:43:02

Hi,
I was so looking forward to having gas and air having read all the funny stories on here! However it made me so so sick and ended up with dh running around trying to find something for me to vomit into. sad did nothing for the bloody pain either! Hope you have a better experience.

bumpybecky Sun 16-Oct-11 16:44:01

I had loads with dd1. It's a bit like being drunk, that kind of floaty feeling when you realise there's loads going on around you, but you're a bit disconnected from it. The effect wears off pretty fast when you stop taking it. I'd give it a go if you think you need something for pain relief smile

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 16-Oct-11 16:44:37

I loved it and think you should be able to get it in every pub

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 16-Oct-11 16:44:54

grin

FrankNCock Sun 16-Oct-11 16:46:42

Thought it was fabulous. I didn't feel nauseous or get sick (despite throwing up at the drop of a hat all the way through pregnancy). DH had a go on it too, he reckoned it was like being high.

The most accurate description I heard was 'It doesn't exactly take the pain away, but it makes you not care as much'.

NickNacks Sun 16-Oct-11 16:47:09

It's wonderful! I had it with two of my births (only thing I did use) and nothing with DS2.

No harm in giving it a try. If it's not for you then in a couple of normal breaths the effect wears off.

bumpybecky describes it perfectly!

Sossiges Sun 16-Oct-11 16:47:17

Just like being drunk, I loved it and wanted to take it home with me smile

trixymalixy Sun 16-Oct-11 16:48:01

I absolutely loved gas and air. Didn't make me feel sick at all.

Sossiges Sun 16-Oct-11 16:48:04

Only had it for the stitches but it really helped

ilovedjasondonovan Sun 16-Oct-11 16:55:29

Tried it and it didn't do anything for me so I went ahead with nothing. Even told them it wasn't working. To be fair I got to hospital in transition, so I don't think anything would have worked.

Tried it again after DD1 was out just for fun and wow - it was working and great. Made me all giddy and giggly.

Metalhead Sun 16-Oct-11 17:51:42

Didn't help me with the pain at all, just made me a bit light-headed. Gave up on it after a few attempts...

Tempingmaniac Sun 16-Oct-11 18:38:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NeedToCreepZZZ Sun 16-Oct-11 19:02:00

Hi mamatomany,
Firstly, I have a phobia of being sick and this was my greatest fear about pg and birth. I was given an anti-emetic jab at the start of labour and had g&a from 5/6 cm dilated. I was told (and it worked for me) that as long as you don't overdo it then it's fine. It was brilliant stuff for me and I don't even drink alcohol as I'm scared of the effects but wow, it was amazing! Agree that just giving it a go is a good idea as the effects wear off quickly.
Good luck!

AGreatBalancingAct Sun 16-Oct-11 19:09:51

I loved it - like other posters said, it made me feel slightly drunk - like you've had a couple of strong g&ts - but not so drunk its not fun anymore. I do have a tendancy to feel sick (medicines, travelling and so on) but it didn't make me feel sick at all.

However, so of the other drugs I was given (when I was induced) did make me feel really sick and the midwives pinned some cottonwool with peppermint on it to me, which really helped - might be worth asking for if you find the G&A helps but makes you feel weird?

breatheslowly Sun 16-Oct-11 19:24:37

I loved it and would use it as a recreational drug if it was available as such. I was delighted to be told that I was a natural at using it. I wouldn't let go of it when asked to. I did still need an epidural though.

openerofjars Sun 16-Oct-11 19:30:27

Can't remember: I was off my tits on gas and air at the time...

grin

A bit like being drunk, only without the urge for a curry. But it does make you feel less inhibited. I wish I could buy it in Sainsbo's.

Allboxedin Sun 16-Oct-11 19:32:29

Great stuff, just have to watch what comes out of your mouth on it!!

LynetteScavo Sun 16-Oct-11 19:38:21

Like going to the best party ever, drinking 10 vodkas and throwing up on the way home. Repeatedly, every five minutes for several hours.

lollystix Sun 16-Oct-11 19:43:35

Love it - worth getting pregs to get a shot at it in my view. Really happy drunk on it. The good thing is if you don't like it, stop using it and you're back to normal in minutes - it's not like taking diamorphine for example where you're committed.

ShowOfHands Sun 16-Oct-11 19:50:37

Made me nauseous and light-headed. I don't drink and hated being out of control. Did nothing for the pain, just induced panic.

I liked it (used it with all three) but it didn't have that strong an effect on me. I felt like I'd had a couple of drinks (buzzy rather than drunk or tipsy) but the real plus for me was it made me control my breathing - I think if I'd done something like Lamaze it would have been just as good. I did throw up during transition each time but I don't think that was due to the gas and air smile

It's always worth giving it a try, if it doesn't work just stop and it wears off very fast.

Fatshionista Sun 16-Oct-11 19:54:24

Amazing but weird.

I had a very dry mouth from it, I was sick from it once (not in either labour) but it takes your mind off the pain. G&A is what I had during two births and one snapped in half wisdom tooth. I loved it. I was spaced, I saw dancing babies, I thought I was hilarious but when I was coming back it was like things were coming back in waves, each one starting where the last ended with a weird "whoop whoop"ing sound.

Every time I have pain that needs A&E I'm excited about the G&A.

Fatshionista Sun 16-Oct-11 19:57:12

I, too, found it controlled my breathing and as a result it helped with the actual pain of pushing (bastard midwife took it away because I 'wasn't concentrating').

I just had the disposable mouth in my mouth at the end.

claricestar Sun 16-Oct-11 20:11:55

I had it for the pushing stage with DC2 and it gave me something to focus on....but I felt the real benefits of it when I had my stitches done, it made me feel all giggly and loved up kind of drunk...it was lovely...I can't wait to have it again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now