Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

POSITIVE induction stories please...

(22 Posts)
mancbird Sun 16-Oct-11 10:51:15

Hi, I'm being induced tomorrow at 3pm. Would any of you like to share your positive induction stories as I'm pretty nervous after googling inductions!

Thanks,
(A very nervous) Mancbird x

I was induced with DS2 as he was overdue and they were concerned my placenta was failing. They broke my waters at around 9am which started off some contractions and then put me on the syntocinon drip at around midday as they were annoying rather than progressing (going by my notes they didn't even count as labour!).

It was different, the contractions weren't harder than my previous birth but because there wasn't the lead up (a bit of a 0-60 in 5 minutes flat!) they were slightly more difficult to deal with. I was fine on gas and air until about 3.30pm when they said it would be at least another 4 or 5 hours until I had him. That seemed a bit daunting so I asked for pethidine to take the edge off. They gave it to me at around 3.45, and it takes about 20/30 minutes to kick in which is why, when DS2 was born at 4.10, he was asleep and I was very chilled out grin They were slightly off with their estimations on labour length....

It was quite funny actually. The midwives had gone to check on other women and have a break as they thought I was nowhere near. I didn't realise I was about to give birth until just before and by the time we realised and rang the alarm bell the midwives came into the room just in time to see DS2 shoot out and bounce on the bed (I was on my knees holding the back of the bed, so he really did just... drop) The poor trainee MW had to be taken off as she went all teary and shocky.

Anyway, we were fine. No stitches, DS2 was awesome and we were home eating pizza and M&Ms by 8pm (I hate hospitals)

Good luck for tomorrow! smile thanks sneaky wine

mancbird Sun 16-Oct-11 17:25:55

Thank you smile

Feeling a bit less anxious about it all now, just want him to be here now.

I've actually had a show and a few contractions this afternoon so fingers crossed things might be happening on their own, but even if it doesn't I feel better knowing I have an end point in sight!

RandomMess Sun 16-Oct-11 17:32:54

I've had inductions!!!
41 weeks
42+3 weeks
40 weeks
42 weeks

The first and 3rd took a long time to get going and it was exhausting, I had an epidural for the first 3. By the 4th time I was completely chilled about the whole thing and once I'd delivered I honestly said "is that it? I'd do that again tomorrow!"

I only needed the gel/pessaries 2 & 4, had ARM with 1 & 3 - but no drip, no other intervention, no stitches, no ventouse etc.

PrinceRogersNelson Sun 16-Oct-11 17:35:22

I've had 2 inductions.

40 + 10
40 +12

Once I got going the labours were both really quick. 4 hours and 2 hours respectively.

It is quite intense, but can be over pretty quick too and then you get to hug your baby!

<feeling broody now>

Hopingforastickyone Sun 16-Oct-11 18:17:14

I was induced at 39 weeks for medical reasons. Went straight for the drip as I was already 1cm dilated. My consultant advised me to have an epidural with the drip as the contractions go from 0-100 almost within a matter of minutes.

My son literally popped out 5 hrs later. I barely had time to break into a sweat! It was such an easy process and completely different from all the horror stories I had googled.

I really would not worry and go in as relaxed as possible. My only recommendation would be that if you are put on the syntocinon drip, you immediately request (demand!) an epidural.

bagelmonkey Sun 16-Oct-11 18:33:26

I was induced at 36+3 because DD was measuring small on scans & they were worried about my placenta.
Took 24 hours to get bed on labour ward, midwife and potential NICU bed lined up so they were happy enough to start, but other than that it was easy.
I was 2cm dilated, so didn't have a pessary, just rupture of membranes, which wasn't even uncomfortable (compared to a smear it was absolutely nothing). Contrations started almost immediately, so didn't need 'the drip'. Thought I might need some pain relief, so MW examined me- ready to push!
Couldn't get a good foetal heart tracing and scalp electives wouldn't work, worried about the baby, so when I couldn't push the baby out easily I had a quick local anaesthetic injection, episiotomy & forceps delivery.
DD was born just over 3 hours after i arrived on labour ward and just over 2nd, screaming & well.
Pretty positive result I'd say.
Good luck.

Allboxedin Sun 16-Oct-11 19:36:31

Just asked on another thread, if you are induced do they keep you in until the contractions start or send you home until they start happening?

PrinceRogersNelson Sun 16-Oct-11 19:53:19

Keep you in as far as I know.
Threatened to send DH home, but then it all kicked off!

My contractions started straight away but the impression I got was once I was in that was it - I was on the ward until I gave birth. That was a few years ago though, so not sure of the procedure now.

RandomMess Sun 16-Oct-11 20:37:15

With all of mine I had to stay in once the process was started.

Allboxedin Sun 16-Oct-11 20:44:22

Thankyou. Sorry for hijack mancbird.

cherrycobbler Sun 16-Oct-11 22:38:15

I was induced at 40 weeks - I was already 3 cm dilated when I went in (but hadn't felt any contractions), so no pessary. I asked for an epidural before the synto drip, so had the epidural, then the drip put in, and lay back and chilled out for a few hours until the time came to push. They let the epi wear off so I could feel when to push, and DD came out after an hour! No tearing, no need for assisted delivery, DD was perfect. It was actually a really positive experience, and being a nervous first time mum I'm glad I avoided the stressful first bit of "is this really it, should I get DH to come home from work, am I really in labour, should I go into the hospital" etc, particularly as we live quite far from the hospital. I'd be very happy to be induced again. Good luck!

Hassled Sun 16-Oct-11 22:41:42

The only real downside was that I thought it would be quick, and it wasn't. It took from 7.30 on the Sunday till 19.15 on the Monday to produce induced DS2. And yes, the contractions (once they eventually got going - which wasn't till they stuck me on the drip thing) were harder and faster than my previous DC. But no other intervention, no real problems at all.

Queenofthehill Sun 16-Oct-11 22:52:53

I was induced with DS as waters had broken but labour not started 48 hours later. Was given the gel at 11.30am and contractions soon kicked in. Intense, but managed pain with TENS until 4.30pm, walking lots around the room. Midwives were planning to give me the drip at 6.30pm and had no idea (and neither did I!) that I was fully dilated and would say 'I think I need to push' through the gas-and-air mouthpiece at 4.40pm. Leggings were quickly whipped off and DS was born at 4.46pm! No tearing and, overall, a very positive experience.

MixedBerries Mon 17-Oct-11 04:48:24

Hi Mancbird. Just wanted to wish you good luck and thank you for starting this thread. I'm being induced today too (at 10.30) and am absolutely terrified. That's why I'm up at 4.46. Feel a bit better reading some positive stories. x

LargeGlassofRed Mon 17-Oct-11 05:09:19

I was induced at 38 with my twins, went in at 1 they gave me first pessary at 2 by 5.30 had the on niggle, 6.30 regular contractions started the Boys were born at 9.38 and 9.47 :-)

Canuckistanishome Mon 17-Oct-11 05:20:23

I was induced at 37 weeks with ds2. I was given the gel on the first day, but it didn't take - I had a few hours of contractions but then they subsided. They gelled me again the next morning, and after a lovely hour of reading the newspaper, my contractions started. I was at 2 cm a couple of hrs later, and delivered 4 hrs after that. I was up and walking comfortably, eating my supper within a couple hours of delivery. So, it wasn't easy, but it was manageable (with pharmaceutical assistance smile) and I did recover pretty quickly.

Good luck!

LargeGlassofRed Mon 17-Oct-11 06:05:41

I was induced at 38 with my twins, went in at 1 they gave me first pessary at 2 by 5.30 had the on niggle, 6.30 regular contractions started the Boys were born at 9.38 and 9.47 :-)

mancbird Mon 17-Oct-11 06:23:23

Hey mixedberries smile

Glad you have found this thread useful smile I know I feel a lot calmer after reading these stories smile

Good luck for your induction, I'll be thinking of you at 10.30. Hopefully it won't be too long before we ware both cuddling our babies smile

Mancbird x

mancbird Mon 17-Oct-11 06:24:25

P.S.

A huge thank you to everyone who has posted smile I'm feeling so much better about the whole process smile x

cory Mon 17-Oct-11 08:23:59

Good luck with today!

I was induced in both my pregnancies- I was fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now