Talk

Advanced search

Piles/prolapse? TMI

(17 Posts)
Pippaandpolly Sat 15-Oct-11 20:55:32

This is really embarassing. I have had constipation on and off since having DD just under 4 weeks ago. When I do go it really hurts at first-it's a very sharp, stabby pain. It usually is only painful for a little while and then is ok. I went to Boots because I wondered if this was piles, but never having had piles before I went to the medicine counter to ask whether they thought this was what it was. The lady I spoke to said it sounded more like a prolapse. I've done some searching on here and it looks like a prolapse is usually vaginal while the pain for me is when going for a poo blush. Any thoughts before I ring my GP and embarrass myself in person?

Zimbah Sat 15-Oct-11 21:02:37

Have you had a look with a mirror?

Pippaandpolly Sat 15-Oct-11 21:27:37

I've tried but can't see back there very well. Don't even know what I'd be looking for to be honest. I didn't know a prolapse was possible in that region - and I can't google as my internet is restricted by work!!

Pippaandpolly Sat 15-Oct-11 21:30:14

I don't know whether it's relevant but had shoulder dystocia with birth of DD (or she did, rather).

MrsBloodyTroll Sat 15-Oct-11 21:44:24

Try inserting a finger into your vagina and see if you can feel bulges in the vaginal walls.

Do you have a heavy dragging feeling down there at the end of the day, like your insides are falling out? Any incontinence? You don't have to answer!

If you can feel bulges, that's a prolapse, and it can be rectal too. Am recently post-natal myself and just been diagnosed. I thought it was piles at first.

I went to the GP who referred me to a gynaecologist, who has referred me for physio.

Come over to the General Health > Ragged Bits thread for more help. I've just joined it. You are not alone, this is hugely common after child birth!

Pippaandpolly Sat 15-Oct-11 21:49:40

Right, that's my job for tonight once DD has let me put her down. Will come over to 'Ragged Bits' too (amazing thread name!). Thanks for your help smile

prolificwillybreeder Sat 15-Oct-11 22:05:22

Could you link to that thread please. I can't seem to find it on my phone blush

MrsBloodyTroll Sat 15-Oct-11 22:51:16

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/777985-Continued-support-for-SPHINCTER-INJURIES-FISTULAE-and-other-CHILDBIRTH-INJURIES

Can't claim credit for the name, am brand new to it and it's been running for ages. But I did find it very helpful.

MrsBloodyTroll Sat 15-Oct-11 22:51:55

Let me try that again. Sorry!

here

MrsBloodyTroll Sat 15-Oct-11 22:52:37

Right, that worked!

Thread has been running since May 2008. So there you go - very common problem!

prolificwillybreeder Sat 15-Oct-11 23:13:19

Thank you very much, you mentioned the pile not really like a pile and dragging pain... I'm starting to think it was a good idea to keep the doc app I was thinking of cancelling!

MrsBloodyTroll Sat 15-Oct-11 23:17:20

Definitely go!

BTW if you or your OH have private medical insurance, make sure the GP knows. It has expedited things no end in my case.

prolificwillybreeder Sat 15-Oct-11 23:41:30

Ah I see! Ours doesn't kick in until end of the month I'll wait until it has. Thanks for the advice. I've posted on the thread.

first1 Sun 16-Oct-11 10:02:09

Sharp pain could indicate anal fissure so make sure your stools are as loose as possible!

fruitybread Sun 16-Oct-11 10:37:54

That sounds like an anal fissure to me - very sharp pain with BM, which gradually gets less painful after the event...

If you get a small amount of bright red blood on wiping, that's another sign. Keep your poos as soft as possible! Plenty of water and fruit. You can also ask your doctor for xyloproct, which is a local anaesthetic cream, containing small amount of lidocaine. It's a godsend.

They do tend to heal with good management, but are always a bit liable to reopen, so it's worth thinking about management now to stop it becoming a chronic problem.

Pippaandpolly Sun 16-Oct-11 12:08:47

I do get small amounts of blood sad ok, going to borrow DH's laptop and do some googling. Thank you for the advice and sorry for being so sorry for myself!

MrsBloodyTroll Mon 17-Oct-11 09:23:11

Don't apologise! Surely this is one of the most important functions of MN, to help each other when you may not be able to talk to anyone IRL.

Hope you get the medical help you need. Don't be embarrassed! Take care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now