Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

membrane sweep next week

(25 Posts)
Allboxedin Fri 14-Oct-11 14:36:09

I went to see my consultant today at 39 + 2 and he said if baby wasn't here by this time next week they would do a membrane sweep.
What should I expect?
Painful?
Afterwards?
How long will it take and should I get someone to babysit my daughter rather than take her to the appointment and for how long? (she is 2)

Ohwhatacrapmasfear Fri 14-Oct-11 15:15:38

I had a sweep yesterday and it was at a normal midwife appontment. Unfortunatly my cervix was unfavourable so won't be effective. The actual procedure isn't painful as such but is quite uncomfortable as involves inserting a finger inside the cervix and moving it around the edge to seperate the membranes. My partner had my daughter who is 21 months though it would have been fine if she was in with me. Afterwards, I would say that very much depends on whether the sweep is effective or not. I had a few pains yesterday but nothing at all different to the aches and pains due to being very pregnant (I'm 40+6 today)
Good luck, hope little one comes along for you soon!

Allboxedin Fri 14-Oct-11 16:04:03

Thanks ohwhat, hopefully the baby will come before next week! Are they going to induce you if nothing happens? Good luck with yours too! smile

tiokiko Fri 14-Oct-11 17:37:05

Do you want him to do a sweep? Is there a specific reason to do it now rather than just that you're approaching your estimated due date?

I declined a sweep today (40+3) and did when pregnant with DD as well.

As far as I understand it (confirmed by MW today) it seems like it will only do something if you are pretty ready to go anyway. My feeling is that at this stage it isn't worth the discomfort and the (small) risk of waters breaking if it's not definitely going to work.

Allboxedin Fri 14-Oct-11 18:10:48

I know tiokiko, he didn't say but maybe because the consultants are only in one day a week (I think). I am supposed to go to labour ward as soon as my labour starts as I have to stop medication as soon as it happens but I don't really see that that would change much especially if there is no guarantee of it working.

simbo Fri 14-Oct-11 18:17:53

I gave birth next day when I had mine, brilliant!

Allboxedin Fri 14-Oct-11 18:28:49

smile was it ok for you simbo?

ChrissasMissis Sun 16-Oct-11 17:16:17

I had a sweep after my waters broke prematurely (i.e. I was not in established labour). I must confess that I found it extraordinarily painful. This could be because I'm a bit of a wimp, or because the midwife who did it was a bit ham-fisted. However, after a failed first attempt with some angry swearing (me, not midwife), they let me have gas and air which made the whole experience a bit more bearable. That said, it didn't actually work anyway and of course, you're not obliged to have one.

Allboxedin Sun 16-Oct-11 18:51:03

Oh Chrissy, you put me off even more now! Fingers crossed baby is here before long!

BarbarianMum Sun 16-Oct-11 20:11:13

I had one with ds2 (10 days overdue). It didn't hurt - my cervix was favorable which can help - I had a show 12 hours later and went into labor within 24. Hurrah!

I hate being messed with, esp. when being pregnant but was desperate to give birth (ds2 was huge) and am v. glad I agreed to it.

corkythecat Mon 17-Oct-11 09:42:01

I had one at 40+4 with DS and my waters broke 2 hours later and was in established labour 2 hours after that. Was uncomfortable but not horrendous. No worse than the internal checks that they do at the hospital to see how dilated you are.
Am due for a sweep next Thursday and cant wait (very bored with being pregnant now)

blackoutthesun Mon 17-Oct-11 12:50:29

i had one when i was 8 days over due

had the sweep at 4pm 12 hours later i had had her

Allboxedin Wed 19-Oct-11 12:50:54

smile so could be good or could be bad. confused
I'm still in two minds about it. Just spent 3 days in hospital with my 2 year old after an asthma attack on Monday so am exhausted but glad nothing happened during that time, it would have been a nightmare!
I'm 40 weeks today but no sign yet.

Do you think it depends at all on who does it? I'm not sure if the consultant will do it or the midwife as I usually see consultant there.

StickyGhost Wed 19-Oct-11 18:49:48

Good luck Allboxed, have been reading this thread with interest, I hope you don't need a sweep in the end and LO is punctual. I've got mine scheduled for the wkend if no action before then, which doesn't look likely. MW is coming to my house to do it apparently (not sure this sounds right from the other posts? No chance of G&A then!).

Flisspaps Wed 19-Oct-11 18:53:54

I wouldn't bother.

Sweeps are only effective on women who are already starting to dilate (and usually only on women who are post-dates as obviously these have more chance of being dilated already)

There is no way of knowing if anyone who has had a sweep would have just gone into labour whenever they happened to anyway, without the sweep taking place.

I had one at home when I was 41 weeks, it took all of about 10 seconds. Uncomfortable, but ineffective. DD was induced 8 days later, I shan't be bothering this time round should it be offered.

Allboxedin Wed 19-Oct-11 19:32:20

Good luck Sticky, are you having a homebirth?
That's the thing Fliss, how can anyone really know if it works or not as they may have just gone in naturally by coincidence soon after.

Was it uncomfortable after too fliss or just during the time they do it?
DD actually has an appointment at the same hospital about 30 mins after but DH has said he will take the day off if need be.

Flisspaps Wed 19-Oct-11 20:44:59

Mine was just uncomfortable when she did it, was fine after but others have said they were crampy for a while after. I had a show, but that was about it.

Beesok Wed 19-Oct-11 22:39:47

Allboxedin just saw this thread - I was, like you, very apprehensive about the sweep but my MW suggested it today and said that it might be a good idea to see "where we're at" - she said that if at any moment it felt uncomfortable she would stop - now it did help that we were at my house and I could lie on my bed comfortably so obviously I was very relaxed smile but she was gentle and it really was OK - it was def. more comfortable than any standard ob gyn exam I had in the past.
My cervix was "favourable" (I frgot what exactly that means blush) and she could just about touch the tip of baby's head so obviously that probably made it more comfortable than if it wasn't favourable.
I wouldn't worry too much - just try to relax your muscles as much as possible and breathe calmly ;)

Allboxedin Thu 20-Oct-11 08:31:53

Thanks beesok, will have to see which one of us pops first! grin
I just hope its not the pompous consultant who mumbles about 2 words to me each visit doing it and a nice midwife smile

Animol Thu 20-Oct-11 08:37:18

I had one for DC4 at 40 +2 and it worked for me! Went in to labour about 12 hours later and gave birth about 5hours later. It was uncomfortable but worth it - I was starting to lose it a bit! Just wanted to have my baby and get it all over with - would have it again if there was a next time (about three weeks earlier if it was allowed grin )

Beesok Thu 20-Oct-11 11:30:17

Keeping fingers crossed Allboxedin smile

Actually, today is not a good day for me - turns out have a few errands I need to sort out and I do NOT want my waters to break at the post office hahahaha - been having mild period-like cramps so not sure if that's a result of the sweep but still have my acupuncture session booked for tomorrow!

Good Luck grin

Allboxedin Fri 21-Oct-11 15:14:28

Hi all, reporting back!!
Had sweep this morning. Consultant did it (although a nice lady one not the pompous man!!) She did a great job and it didn't hurt a bit! I havent had any blood or anything since either.
She said cervix was favourable and that I was 1cm dilated (not sure how good that is?)
I have an induction booked next saturday if this doesn't work!

Good luck Beesok, please report back soon!! grin

Beesok Fri 21-Oct-11 17:40:03

Allboxedin am so glad your sweep went well! I guess the fact that you are dilated is def. a good sign! Mine was closed when I had the sweep but thinning (seriously - I have no idea what the terminology is blush) but I did have an acupuncture session today and really hoping that the mild period cramps I've been randomly having over the past few days turn into something more serious!

This is the waiting game I guess - let's make the most of it and enjoy those last weeks of peace ;) keeping my fingers crossed and hope you will have some good news to report very soon! x

Beesok Fri 21-Oct-11 17:41:01

last weeks of peace ?? no no noooooo I meant to say last DAYS!! God no more weeks please! shock

Allboxedin Fri 21-Oct-11 19:54:00

Last few days or weeks of peace? I don't get any anyway with my dd sad
NOOOOOOOOO more weeks!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now