Talk

Advanced search

Four weeks on from CS and have woken up in pain

(11 Posts)
CBear6 Fri 14-Oct-11 08:37:31

I had a CS four weeks ago for an undiagnosed breech. It all went okay and I've been healing really well up until now.

Earlier this week I had a red patch on the incision site, it was mildly puffy and it was tender to touch. My GP diagnosed a skin infection and prescribed Daktarin cream. The red patch went away within a day of using it.

This morning though I've woken up and the righthand side of the incision (the same side where the red patch was) is tender again, the tenderness is also present when I move and lifting the baby makes it twinge too. There's no redness or swelling though. I also have a weird discomfort in my bits, it's not like a UTI because it's constant rather than just when I pee and it's right at the front, it feels almost like that uncomfortable sensation when they remove the catheter post-section - like a stinging pinchy sort of sensation. I'm warm to touch but not feverish. I had my flu jab yesterday and part of me is wondering if it's flu jab hangover.

I'm waiting for my GP to open so I can try for an appointment. In the meantime though has anyone experienced anything similar?

toddlerama Fri 14-Oct-11 08:42:33

Yes! But mine was 2 weeks after the birth. I had a wound infection but also some inflammation from the catheter being inserted at a funny angle. Until the pain from the wound settled I couldn't differentiate the catheter scratch iyswim. Had to go back in for a few days whilst they worked everything out which was very inconvenient but a relief to know it wasn't permanent damage.

CBear6 Fri 14-Oct-11 08:47:15

Oh my, I hope I don't have to go back in. Were you allowed to keep your baby with you? Thanks for your reply smile

ShowOfHands Fri 14-Oct-11 08:50:44

You can still ring the midwife before 6 weeks. They'll have more experience of this than a gp too and won't have an appointment lottery going on.

CBear6 Fri 14-Oct-11 09:07:31

MW has said to ring GP grin

He's generally really good, he was an OB before he became a GP so he's fairly knowledgable about all things pregnancy and baby. They're ringing me back in a couple of hours to let me know what time they can slot me in.

ShowOfHands Fri 14-Oct-11 09:40:51

Fab. My gp's a numpty. Claimed bm is dairy the other day. I am NOT a cow.

CBear6 Sat 15-Oct-11 09:54:15

Well it doesn't look like an infection thankfully. The pain down below is likely a combination of hormonal changes post-pregnancy, a full bladder irritating the internal incisions (apparently bladder spasms can trigger uterine spasms), a d transferred pain as nerve endings knit back together. The pain in my incision is very likely to be from overdoing it and lifting 2yo DS onto my knee. I've been told to take it easier (and let him climb onto my knee himself). It must be right because I stayed on the sofa all of yesterday, bar the trip to the docs, and I'm feeling much better today.

They did say though that any signs of infection, no matter how doubtful, should be investigated same day because if it is an infection it can become serious very quickly.

Thanks for the advice smile

ragged Sat 15-Oct-11 10:21:59

Glad to hear it's not an infection.
Also suppose it's a good example of why to follow post CS instrux about lifting, etc. Hope it all abates, now.

ShowOfHands Sat 15-Oct-11 11:08:22

My wound started to reopen a couple of weeks ago. I did too much. I don't recommend it. Lifting 3 stone+ 4yo dd was the problem.

The nerves knitting together really hurt. Alternatively bruised or zingy sharp pains. It passes. Took a couple of months with dd, 6 weeks in with ds and it's still happening

ShowOfHands Sat 15-Oct-11 11:09:18

Oh and wee regularly. A full bladder really irritates.

ShowOfHands Sat 15-Oct-11 11:10:03

And I mean alternately fgs [tired]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now