Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for hiring a birthing pool please

(12 Posts)
Blackkat Wed 12-Oct-11 21:46:59

Hello, Am hiring a birthing pool for use at home and would welcome recommendations of which pool/company to use.
What's important; rigid sides, seats, inflatable base, heater, lid, room for DH etc etc?
Various and contradictory advice online so would appreciate hearing from those of you who've been there.

Thanks in advance smile

PinkFondantFancy Thu 13-Oct-11 00:49:23

Hey blackkat!

I had an Eco pool in a box (IIRC). It had an inflatable base which was lucky as DD came out in a big rush, head and body at once! It looked a bit like a paddling pool on steroids but the sides felt very supportive and rigid and happily supported my weight when I was leaning on them while pushing. It had a seat but I didn't use it, as I laboured in s deep squat leaning over the side. Actually I did use it to sit on while holding my brand new DD, it was lovely.

Hope that helps!

FlipFantasia Thu 13-Oct-11 19:52:28

We hired this pool from Birthworks. I had planned a homebirth but was induced so didn't get to use it in the end but it was still an amazing pool to have at home (we had it set up for about 4 weeks in total...it was like having our own hot tub to float in whenever we wanted - I mostly used it but was plenty of space for DH too. So relaxing, at a time when I felt so massive and uncomfortable...).

It's not cheap, but it was money extremely well spent in my experience (even without actually using it for the intended purpose!). I'm pregnant again and planning a hospital birth this time but I'd be tempted to hire it again, except we don't have the space in our 2 bed flat!

PinkFondantFancy Fri 14-Oct-11 00:18:21

Wow flip that really is a birth pool and a half!!! I.would like one of them as a permanent fixture in my house!

FlipFantasia Fri 14-Oct-11 14:16:06

PinkFondantFancy it was ruddy great - a small glimpse of what it must be like to have a hot tub!!

ShroudOfHamsters Fri 14-Oct-11 14:37:05

If you're up north get in touch with Ruth and David at Aquabirths:

www.aquabirthsathome.co.uk/

Amazingly helpful and knowledgeable... worth giving them a call even if you're not nearby, as they will probably be able to recommend someone in your area. They are also involved in homebirth support groups etc. so will probably be able to give you lots of useful advice!

Blackkat Fri 14-Oct-11 17:35:12

Thanks so much Pink, Flip and Shroudofhamsters; the pool in a box is currently top of our list, but given that we are oop north, I will certainly call Ruth and David, thanks for the advice...will let you know how we go

CollieandPup Fri 14-Oct-11 23:11:23

blackkat I've read good reviews about La Bassine birth pools too, similar to birth in a box. I'm still totally undecided too though. Have a friend who says she knows someone who hires out but I have a feeling they are expensive...which would be a waste to then not use it. But i'll happily share the details when I get them.

Colleague today told me though, that her aunt, who is a mw, tries to put women off pool births, and has in the past lied about them being occupied, because they are so unhygienic and have such a high risk of infection..???

<waddles off to googie birth pool and infection>

PinkFondantFancy Sat 15-Oct-11 00:37:32

I'm pretty sure there's something about infection or lack of in my waterbirth book, I'll try and look it up. Failing that I'll ask my MW when she comes on Tuesday

Secondtimelucky Sat 15-Oct-11 13:31:15

A MW who lies to patients. That is absolutely charming. hmm. Isn't it good to know that the NHS supports your educated decisions about the type of birth you want.

If they are unhygienic and have infection risks, surely that's because they haven't been cleaned properly between uses? here is quite a good summary of the issues.

Secondtimelucky Sat 15-Oct-11 13:31:56

Not endorsing that particular company by the way, just does explain where you need to be careful.

FutureNannyOgg Sun 16-Oct-11 21:32:54

www.barefootbirthpools.co.uk/
These guys hire out lovely heated, filtered pools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now