Talk

Advanced search

Maternity pads...?!

(23 Posts)
MrsSSB Wed 12-Oct-11 17:33:33

Why I'm getting so hung up on such ridiculous things is beyond me...baby brain has truly taken over!

Ok, so...bought some ultra thin maternity pads from boots, got told during ante-natal class that will prob need lots of these, so went to get more absorbent ones - which are like old fashion sanitary pads, ie fat and uncomfy...can't I just use always ultra long??! Or is there something special about maternity pads that I'm missing!?!

Wurg Wed 12-Oct-11 17:35:11

always and the like sometimes have a coating that can catch on stitches <winces>

lakeofshiningwaters Wed 12-Oct-11 17:50:12

If you have tears or stitches you might be really glad of the super thick old style ones. I know I was - helped a lot with the 'everything is falling out' feeling blush

Flisspaps Wed 12-Oct-11 18:18:10

If by ultra thin/ultra long you mean sanitary towels rather than maternity pads, these are better to use later on. They have a plastic coating which isn't great for allowing stitches or tears to breathe, and also they 'lock away' blood more effectively which means you and the MWs can't monitor blood loss properly. They can also disguise the smell of the blood which means you're less likely to notice an infection.

If you mean Boots ultra thin/ultra long maternity pads though (not sanitary towels) I can't see why you'd want to use the big thick mattress ones instead. Looking at the product info on their website, I can't see any reason why you'd not choose them.

juneau Wed 12-Oct-11 18:27:19

Ordinary sanitary pads can apparently mask the signs of infection, whereas maternity pads don't. Not sure what that means exactly, but MWs always say to buy proper maternity ones. They're not uncomfortable actually when you've given birth. Having some extra padding down there when you're feeling very sore is actually quite comfortable and you only need to use them for about a week post-partum until the bleeding eases off.

SootySweepandSue Wed 12-Oct-11 18:31:35

Definitely get the thick ones. You will need the extra padding when sitting down if you have stitches - trust me! I think I bought a 48 pack from mcare...

Flisspaps Wed 12-Oct-11 18:38:54

I will add that I had a 3rd degree tear, and wasn't grateful for the extra padding of thick towels, they were cumbersome and uncomfortable. Had I known Boots did ultra-thin maternity pads then, I'd have bought some - I'll be getting some in this time!

chimchar Wed 12-Oct-11 18:39:55

Use the big fat ones for the first few days at least....the blood can pool whilst youre sitting down, and then spill out quickly...you might be glad of the extra padding. You might need to change frequently too. Get a pack of those little bags to keep in the bathroom....helps to disguise pads in the bin before you empty it.

My super tip is to use a long thin pad with wings stuck onto your knickers and then put a big fat pad placed on top (without using the sticky strip). I found it really useful and stopped any spillages.

Also, witch Hazel from the chemist kept in the fridge and poured on to a sanny pad is very soothing on sore bits, and can help with healing.

nannyl Wed 12-Oct-11 19:32:36

agree, the 1st few days after birth you will want the padding of the fat ones

whackamole Wed 12-Oct-11 20:26:30

I have just bought Always for this time round. Last time I bought maternity pads (either from Boots or Tesco, can't remember!) and they were really uncomfy. Moved about a lot, the wadding broke in half and I found the top layer much more catchy than Always.

Also, I didn't bleed even half as heavily as I do during a period, although it did last for a fair while.

tilder Wed 12-Oct-11 20:33:06

Maternity pads are one of the many joys of having a baby nobody tells you about until you are pregnant. I remember my SIL saying its great to think no period for 9 months, until afterwards when they all arrive at once. And am afraid to say she was right. Get the thick pads. Lots of them! They are horrible, feel like you are walking around with a log in your pants but yes they are comfy (extra padding!) and do the job.

MrsSSB Thu 13-Oct-11 00:02:19

Gosh..lots of stuff I hadn't realised, or been told at antenatal class - I do love MN to get t real deal on stuff! Thanks ladies!
Anyway, so this sounds like t worst period ever...think I will get myself a pack or two of t fat pads as recommended by some.
Also - yes, I did mean boots ultra thin maternity pads (not sanitary pads)...I bought them on a 3 for 2 deal.

Right...bring on monster period! Maternity pads (varying thickness!!) check, disposable knickers, check, cheap knickers from primark, check...hopefully that's everything I need..

Buy more than you ever imagine you'd need! I kept sending DP back to mothercare/boots to buy more!

Buy more than you ever imagine you'd need! I kept sending DP back to mothercare/boots to buy more!

nannyl Thu 13-Oct-11 09:18:40

i had my baby 4 weeks ago.... i got 100 pads ready, 40 fat maternity ones, 20 slim ones and some normal STs.

i used all 60 maternity ones, and my bleeding wasnt that heavy apparently... i had a teeny tiny tear that was stitched (but didnt have to be) and i was greatful for every single thick padded towel, i was worrying about progressing to thin ones.

I had a home birth so only got 2 "hospital" pads in my birth pack, which had been used within the first hour

MooseyMoo Thu 13-Oct-11 10:50:34

I found using always night with wings and the black kotex on top a brilliant combination. I had 2nd degree tear and found the padding very comfy. I did change pads every two hours for first week as very heavy flow. I normally have heavy periods so was similar.

Two tips, when getting out of bath or shower have a wad of toilet paper to hand to act as plug whilst drying. You won't leak on towel then.

I used a hair dryer to dry my bits (and stitches). DH was a bit hmm but it did the job.

One or two packs will not be enough, you many find you need to wear two at once for a short time.

I think the Boots ones are the best, and they are much cheaper than Mothercare who are massively overpriced for all this kind of stuff.

I had I think four packs of the thick ones, and then about 8 packs of the slimmer ones. After that I used Always.

MrsSSB Thu 13-Oct-11 11:34:00

Wow....seriously they should tell u about this stuff somewhere! Glad I asked here..else I'd be in for a shock!

Ok - so will buy a extra packs of fat pads from boots when I head out! Joy!

You need big black packs of Kotex night-time , I went through 36 packs of twelve in two weeks after dd grin

They are like pillows for your fanjo, super comfygrin

mamaesi Thu 13-Oct-11 13:36:49

I second the idea of always extra long with wings on my knickers... and then the giant thick pillow maternity ones on top.

This worked well for me as the maternity one did the absorbing and padding and the wings underneath stopped any spilling/leaks.

I also agree with getting more than you would imagine. I always had light periods so this was a huge shock to me the amount of blood coming out of me...I actually asked the midwife if I was going to bleed to death and she said, nope perfectly normal.

Zimbah Fri 14-Oct-11 20:10:39

I used the thick pads but soon switched to the boots thin maternity ones as I found the thick ones really uncomfortable. It felt like I was getting a massive wedgie every time I sat down, and that on top of a bad tear was not very pleasant. The thin ones were fine although I did need to change them an awful lot.

NeedToCreepZZZ Sat 15-Oct-11 06:50:26

Get the biggest, softest ones you can find (probably a big box load of them) and stick them in the fridge.... aahhhh wink

Also agree with the wad of tissue to use as a plug after showering so you don't ruin your towels!

TooImmature2BDumbledore Sat 15-Oct-11 13:57:18

Immediately after birth I was sitting on one of those incontinence pads, which the MW changed a couple of times. Then she helped me have a shower and put 2 pads in a pair of pants ready for me. I wore 2 pads for the first day and then went down to just one. Then the bleeding carried on for about 4 weeks, but very much on and off after the first week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now