Talk

Advanced search

Would it be odd to ask for a C-sec instead of induction? Worried about prev 3rd deg tear.

(9 Posts)
cokefloat Wed 12-Oct-11 11:52:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Zimbah Wed 12-Oct-11 19:28:26

I think you've got a really strong argument for having a CS. You can insist on seeing a consultant to discuss it, in many cases doctors recommend a CS after a third degree tear so hopefully you shouldn't find it too difficult to argue your case. Fingers crossed that you go into labour before it gets to that point though smile

cokefloat Thu 13-Oct-11 13:03:58

woopsidaisy Thu 13-Oct-11 14:13:41

cokefloat, I feel for you. You had a horrible time previously. But being induced doesn't necessarily mean you need more intervention.
How were you induced? I was induced with both pregnancies-overdue by 10 days-with pessaries. I was fine,and able to stay upright and mobile through both labours. I had pethedine towards the end.
And they were big boys at albs 7oz and 10lbs 11oz!
I think it is normal to panic towards the end of pregnancy about how they are going to come out. IMO avoiding an epidural is very helpful in avoiding forceps etc.
Hope it all goes well!

cokefloat Thu 13-Oct-11 18:13:41

Nellybell Thu 13-Oct-11 21:32:36

I had a 3rd degree tear first time so when i got pg with number 2 I asked about a cs. They said no and that it was unlikely it would happen again. I Felt quite vulnerable and worried about the birth but 2nd time, it was much easier and i was calmer. DD came out quickly and easily and i just let my body get on with it, I didn't have to push, she just sort of came out with no help from me other than staying upright. I also had a good mw who I explained my fears too so she was really good and determined to not let me tear.

breatheslowly Thu 13-Oct-11 22:08:59

I think that there is some guidance which suggests that you should be offered the choice with a 3rd degree tear - it may depend on the sublevel of tear and whether you have any symptoms. I think that the hospital are leaving it a little late to be discussing this with you (I think you should have been assessed much earlier).

See the RCOG guidance:
www.rcog.org.uk/files/rcog-corp/GTG2911022011.pdf

woopsidaisy Fri 14-Oct-11 09:47:47

I think the drip form of induction is very painful! I am thinking of having a 3rd,and have to say getting that drip is my biggest fear!
Sorry,that is probably not what you want to hear,grin.
Hopefully this one will be lying right,and just slip out!

golemmings Fri 14-Oct-11 13:08:29

You just have to remember that every body, every baby and every labour is different. I was induced with a synotocin drip with my first and experienced a 3b tear when she came out with with her hand on her ear but wanted a water birth for the second. During pregnancy - about 20 weeks or so, I was triaged through the consultant unit and they agreed that there was no reason that I shouldn't deliver in the midwife unit and with a water birth if appropriate. I was also pulled in for a late scan at 36 weeks to confirm size and presentation to ensure that MLU delivery was still OK.

As it turns out, DS, born last week, was on the large side (9lb8 - but I'm only 5'2 and quite small) and 2 weeks late. I wasn't induced (started an hour and a half before my induction was booked) but DS got a bit stuck and I ended up with an episiotomy and a second degree tear. Haemorrhaged both times.

Overall I think that my induced labour was better than my natural one although I had more faith in the midwives for DS's delivery. However, if I was to have a third child, I think I'd be asking about a section. I clearly don't deliver well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now