Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Having an elec CS a Christmas- help me plan ahead to make it go smoothly!

(9 Posts)
MarkStretch Tue 11-Oct-11 14:02:26

Saw my consultant yesterday and 3rd C-section is booked for 23rd December. The night before my Dad and Step-Mum are going to have DD & DS and keep them during the following day so DH can be with me in hospital while the baby is delivered. They will then bring them up to the hospital in the evening to see me and baby and DH will take them home with him.

It is likely they will discharge me on Christmas day morning all being well but I am well aware I may end up being in hospital for longer (was in for 3 days post section last time for BP problems).

DH is flapping. He is concerned that it is Christmas, he can't make it special enough for the kids on his own, he wants me at home, he is worried that it will end up being crap for the DC's and as DS is nearly 3 this is the first Christmas he will understand. I am more worried about people expecting to visit and us to visit them as it is Christmas time.

What can I do to make it go more smoothly? I am going to buy and wrap all presents for family early and deliver them the week before, will cook masses of meals and fill the freezer so DH has plenty to feed the DC's and maybe be really strict about visitors once I am home.

swampster Tue 11-Oct-11 14:42:30

Oy, Stretchie-one! I thought I told you to book it for after?

QTPie Tue 11-Oct-11 15:19:20

Have you got any close family who can "bring Christmas to your house"? Ie stay over the Christmas period (Christmas Eve through to after Boxing Day) and do all the cooking etc.

Personally I think that plans should be irrespective of you - ie you may not be there and even if you are, you shouldn't do a THING....

Personally, if I was in the same position. I would get my in-laws to stay and "do Christmas" for DS and DH, so that I had nothing to do but look after the baby, eat and concentrate on getting better.

QT

dinkystinky Tue 11-Oct-11 17:27:17

Look on the bright side Markstretch - there may be a dumping of snow again meaning you'd be home with the kids anyway waiting for it all to melt grin

If I were you I'd get Dad and Step-mum to stay over with kids to do Christmas for them if you're not there - and you can do Xmas with them again when you get back with their belated xmas present.

MarkStretch Tue 11-Oct-11 18:33:04

We don't really have room for parents to stay over, plus I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters with families of their own all expecting to descend on them for Christmas! My mum is in France and coming over to help out when DH goes back to work after the first 2 weeks.

Swampy- I ended up not having a choice! Measuring big for dates so they are happy to deliver me at 38+3 rather than wait til after Christmas when they are fully booked and I am nearer term. It's a better birthday anyway I think.

I was thinking DH could bring some presents to hospital if I am still in on Christmas Day so the DC's can open some with me too?

chilledmama Tue 11-Oct-11 19:20:12

Have Xmas morning/day at hospital...not the meal obviously but kids probably won't care about Xmas dinner anyway!!wink You can celebrate however you like once you get home.
Agree with others that regardless of circumstances, you should not be doing anything but sitting on your rear and enjoying cuddles with your DCs!!!

Calico1 Tue 11-Oct-11 20:21:32

MS the DCs won't notice if it is not a 'perfect Christmas' as long as they have a few fun things to open and some treats to eat. They'll be getting an exciting new sibling to poke at admire anyway smile. I'm sure your family would understand that you won't be up to visits / visiting for a little while. Can close family visit a few days beforehand and do some xmas prep stuff for you and DCs while they are there?

dinkystinky Wed 12-Oct-11 12:52:48

Make sure you have presents at the hospital for them from the baby! Extra ones delivered by Santa to celebrate the addition to the family should go down well.

Get DH to do a M&S christmas - order everything up for pick up on xmas eve and its just a case of chucking it in the oven if he's worried about sorting xmas by himself.

Booboostoo Wed 12-Oct-11 13:45:06

Why not move Christmas to before or after the delivery (whatever you think you can cope with best)?

As for the hospital stay maybe consider staying in a few more nights. You won't be any good to anyone if you overexcert yourself. You need time to properly recover and it might be a bit difficult to do that at home with two children and a newborn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now