Talk

Advanced search

Bleeding started up again in worrying quantities - is it normal?

(15 Posts)
FeastofBeans Mon 10-Oct-11 20:00:12

Hi all, I had a c section 12 days ago and had heavy bleeding for a day or 2, then very light bleeding for 7 days, which then stopped completely on Friday.

This afternoon (Monday) the bleeding has started again and is scarily heavy. It's red and fresh looking. Is this normal?

banana87 Mon 10-Oct-11 20:01:43

I didn't have a CS but no, it does not sound normal. Please go to A&E.

RitaMorgan Mon 10-Oct-11 20:02:09

If it's scarily heavy then call your midwife!

BadDayAtTheOrifice Mon 10-Oct-11 20:14:15

Are you passing clots or soaking maternity pads? You should ring your maternity assessment unit or labour ward.
Or is it just heavier than it has been. Have you possibly been doing a lot today?

FeelMyWraith Mon 10-Oct-11 20:18:07

It is normal to have fresh red bleeding again after it's tailed off. It's when you do more and everything becomes irritated. I've had 2 cs and experienced the same.

BUT scarily heavy could indicate an infection. Define 'scarily heavy'.

FeastofBeans Mon 10-Oct-11 20:49:50

Clots and sudden gushes of blood. For me it's scary as I'm not much of a bleeder but for others it could be normal so I don't know. I also have period type pains. I've done less today than the previous 7 days so I don't understand it really.

RitaMorgan Mon 10-Oct-11 20:54:24

Seriously, no one on a talkboard can give you medical advice. You need to speak to a doctor or midwife.

leelo Mon 10-Oct-11 21:00:58

after a c-section i bleed like i'm having a bad period. but for only 5 days. you need a trip to hospital as it sounds like something is not ok. better to be safe and look daft than be featured in take a break saying i nearly died.

leelo Mon 10-Oct-11 21:01:39

after a c-section i bleed like i'm having a bad period. but for only 5 days. you need a trip to hospital as it sounds like something is not ok. better to be safe and look daft than be featured in take a break saying i nearly died.

FeelMyWraith Mon 10-Oct-11 21:06:20

I'd get checked out. Retained products or infection could cause this but you need to see somebody.

FeastofBeans Mon 10-Oct-11 21:11:13

Ok I'll ring the emergency MW number, just thought I'd see if it was something that happened to everyone first. Thanks all.

banana87 Mon 10-Oct-11 22:21:24

What did the MW say?

mousyfledermaus Mon 10-Oct-11 22:27:17

off to labour ward via a&e
fluctuation of bleeding is normal but not in the way you describbe, esp with the pain.
good luck

FeastofBeans Tue 11-Oct-11 23:02:15

Thanks all, the MW said it was normal although usually occurs on day 7 or 8, and only to worry if it smelt fishy which would indicate uterine infection. The bleeding subsided overnight but then got worse today, so I am thinking that maybe I am doing too much and should just slow down a bit confused

TimothyClaypoleLover Wed 12-Oct-11 15:58:53

Flow of bleeding can tail off and then increase again if you are doing too much, particularly as you had a C section. Put your feet up and relax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now