Advanced search

to VBAC or not to VBAC?

(2 Posts)
PipIsOutNow Mon 10-Oct-11 15:30:41

hello everyone!! hope you're all welland enjoying this extremely shite weather!! I am after some advice and opinions on whether or not to VBAC it!! i ended up having an emergency section on my now 15 month old little boy, because his cord was wrapped round his neck and he was extremely distressed....considering I had planned a waterbirth in some sort of idealistic serene environment (what planet did I live on) this was a great shock to the system. I was quite traumatised by the whole event and it took me ages to get over the fact that I had had all my decisions made for me. however, I am now more open minded and realise that it doesnt really matter HOW he came into the world but that he was and is happy, healthy and safe...

I am looking to start trying to conceive next month so been thinking about whether or not to opt for a VBAC or whether to insist on a elective section...

What would you do in my situation? Was a VBAC the right or wrong decision for you and why? Any advice or insight into an elective after an emergency too? Any replies would be greatly welcomed as I know this is something that will cause me a lot of worry...thank u xx

mavornia Mon 10-Oct-11 17:55:34

Hi Pip
I had an emcs with ds1 after 20 odd hours in labour and failure to progress. I was shattered afterwards, found breastfeeding hard, had awful swelling in my feet which took ages to go down, wound took a good while to heal.

I was really keen to avoid another c-section with ds2 - I was also worried about how I would look after ds1 who was just over 2 yrs old when ds2 was born.

I have Type 1 diabetes and I'm monitored very closely during pregnancy. I knew a c-section was a possibility with ds2 for various reasons but i was keen for a vbac and the hospital was very willing for me to try.

Everything went great with ds2's labour. I had an epidural and got my vbac. I recovered much quicker than with ds1.

I think a big factor in delivering ds2 naturally was that I actually believed I was capable of doing it. Tbh, I don't know if I really pushed with all my might with ds1 (I was worried about doing a poo in front of all the doctors!) and I felt really overwhelmed and scared of the pain.

With ds2, I knew what too expect, I asked for an epidural when I felt I couldn't cope with the pain any longer, I pushed for all I was worth and the midwife was very empowering. Knowing that she thought I could actually push my baby out gave me the strength to go for it.

DS3 is due on Christmas Day - hoping for a natural delivery (but of course if it ends up a c-section and a healthy baby I'll be more than happy).

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: