Talk

Advanced search

Positive stories about 12lb+ babies and vaginal births please :)

(4 Posts)
nappyaddict Mon 10-Oct-11 15:05:44

My friend has been told they think her baby is going to be 12lb+. She is now worrying about losing loads of blood loss, 4th degree tears and shoulder dystocia. Can any of you put her mind at ease that a 12lb baby doesn't necessarily mean the above are inevitable.

maxmissie Mon 10-Oct-11 15:11:17

Hi Very quick post as got to do school run! I didn't have a 12lb baby but my ds was 10lb 7oz so pretty large! Had a vaginal delivery with help of ventouse, partly because he was large and partly because he was stuck in the wrong position to come out on his own! Didn't lose too much blood, had a tear but not 4th degree and no issues with shoulder dystocia. Hope this is slightly reassuring.

marjean Mon 10-Oct-11 15:36:31

Tell her to check out bigbaby.org. Not only are there positive birth stories but information on the difficulties of predicting a baby's size.

I had a lovely home birth with a 12lb13oz baby (no heavy blood loss or tearing) but I hadn't been worried silly about her size beforehand and had one-to-one care of 2 lovely community mws.

whackamole Tue 11-Oct-11 16:41:53

MIL had two massive babies - both over 11lb but not over 12lb I don't think. She didn't have any problems at all, they were both born vaginally, no tearing at all and she was out in a day with her second.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now