Talk

Advanced search

Perineal massage

(8 Posts)
lucidlady Sat 08-Oct-11 22:49:10

Has anyone tried this, and does it work? I'm 37+6 and starting to worry about tearing. How do you even reach that far down at this stage?!

ALotToTakeIn Sat 08-Oct-11 23:14:23

I started a thread on this yesterday on the pregnancy board am also 37+6 and starting to worry! Lots of helpful advice on there, but agree with you at this point reaching is rather difficult.

sprinkles77 Sat 08-Oct-11 23:32:48

get DP to do it for you wink

tinky19 Sat 08-Oct-11 23:37:38

I tried to persuade my DH to this today but he wasn't too keen hmm. I can't reach and i'm 32 weeks. Bad combination of short arms and huge bump grin

PinkFondantFancy Sun 09-Oct-11 03:25:33

I did this albeit a bit half heartedly. I had a v small 2nd degree tear that didn't need stitches. I found putting 1 leg up on the edge of the bath helped me reach

KellyKettle Sun 09-Oct-11 06:30:59

I've started doing this, am 37 weeks with DC2. Does anyone know if it has any effect second time around?

I can't find much about massage in women who've given birth before.

Pastabee Sun 09-Oct-11 07:50:00

I'm giving it a go. I don't think it can hurt and I know some people who swear by it. There's a demonstration by a midwife on YouTube (with a manakin, not a pregnant lady!)

If you google it there is also a leaflet from John Radcliffe in Oxford that comes up as a top hit. That advises same approach but suggests just stretching for about 2 minutes before massaging to let it numb a bit. This has made it more comfortable for me.

The studies show it is most effective in first time mums over 30 but who knows? If I don't do it and tear I won't know if massage would have helped. If I do do it and tear I'll never know if the tear would have been worse had I not done it..... So, back to the it can't hurt philosophy!

Woodifer Sun 09-Oct-11 10:54:58

I can't reach from the front with my thumbs, but i can reach round my back (one hand at a time) with my fingers - then pull back towards my bum. I still put one foot at a time on the edge of the bath. If you wipe your bum front to back by reaching round the back - its a bit like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now