Talk

Advanced search

Does an anterior placenta inevitably mean a back to back labour?

(16 Posts)
LoveInAColdClimate Thu 06-Oct-11 20:49:58

And if so, is it automatically going to be awful? Should I forget the midwife led unit and the water birth and just write "epidural" at the top of my birth plan and choose the hospital instead? Am starting to feel a touch nervous about this...

TIA

MangoMonster Thu 06-Oct-11 20:52:18

No, I had an anterior placenta and no back to back labour.

LoveInAColdClimate Thu 06-Oct-11 20:57:46

Gosh, I said "and" a lot in my OP. Thanks, Mango, that's reassuring.

SurprisEs Thu 06-Oct-11 21:03:44

I had a posterior placenta and had a back to back labour. This time the placenta is anterior. Only time will tell...

Energumene Thu 06-Oct-11 21:19:05

I had an anterior placenta and definitely no back to back labour. And labour was only awful because there was meconium in my waters and I earned a one-way ticket to the delivery suite, instead of the nice, fluffy MW-led unit. But no sunroof and no problems.

ALittleLemonTwist Thu 06-Oct-11 21:26:33

I had an anterior placenta and no back to back labour - it was something I really worried about as well and was constantly on my birthing ball towards the end of pregnancy to ensure baby was in the correct position! Good luck!

LoveInAColdClimate Thu 06-Oct-11 21:28:44

This is all very reassuring, thanks. Perhaps I should spend less time slumped on the sofa and more time in a better position a bit nearer the time!

SurprisEs Thu 06-Oct-11 21:29:16

I gave birth in the MLU, it was "warmer" than the delivery suite which I ha visited but certainly wasn't a nice fluffy experience smile . But the lovely student MW that rubbed my back for hours on end (her hand went numb poor thing) was definitly very appreciated.

rubyslippers Thu 06-Oct-11 21:30:27

2 anterior placentas

2 back to back labours

2 natural deliveries with gas and air only though - delivery number 2 super quick

Highly recommend A water birth to get baby into a good position and for additional pain relief

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 06-Oct-11 21:38:15

i have been in this position before, and my baby started back to back, but then turned. It was equally sore no matter which position the baby was in so I wouldn't stress!

LoveInAColdClimate Fri 07-Oct-11 07:18:17

Thanks, all.

whackamole Sat 08-Oct-11 20:14:19

God I hope not! This baby is stubborn and is most comfy back to back. Mind you, DTS2 was back to back and he was born in 26 minutes (although his brother had smoothed the way a little!)

bumpybecky Sat 08-Oct-11 20:50:41

dc #3 and #4 were both anterior placentas, neither was a back to back labour, both were born at home in pool with tens (before the pool!) no G&A or anything else, so don't panic smile

pettyprudence Sat 08-Oct-11 21:05:41

AP with ds, had back to back labour and was fine with a nice bath, paracetamol and lovely hot water bottle strapped to my back (home birth). He turned about 90mins before delivery and that's when I needed G&A. He is my first DC so I don't really have anything to compare it with!

Although I didn't have a water birth, just my little bath, it felt sooo good! The contractions kept going but for some reason the water just took the discomfort away. I have no idea how it works though because when I had aches and pains in pregnancy the bath was crap!

claricestar Sun 09-Oct-11 09:23:44

DC 2 was an anterior placenta and my labour started off in my back and a bit sporadic...I wasn't even sure I was in labour. Then I put the dishes away and bam, my labour pains started in my front and she was born in 2 hours. I'm guessing she started off back to back then turned to a better position as I was putting the dishes away! this is all just a guess though!

thatsenough Mon 10-Oct-11 15:15:12

I've had three back to back labours, but only one anterior placenta.

DS1 was pretty awful due to bad management by ward staff, DS2 and DS3 were lovely quick homebirths with gas and air.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now