Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had a natural birth in hospital?

(161 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Thu 06-Oct-11 19:19:52

I'm wondering. I'd like to hear some positive and lovely birth stories. Has anyone on here managed to have a natural and intervention free birth at hospital?
If so, was it hard to get it?

fraktious Thu 06-Oct-11 19:22:03

Yes I did. It wasn't exactly hard - it just relied on everything proceeding as it should which is more down to luck than anything else.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Thu 06-Oct-11 19:25:30

Yes, and it all hinged on me being prepared for it, and having a fantastic, truly brilliant midwife when I went into labour. After a bad first birth I did my reading properly the second time, burned Miriam Stoppard and read Ina May Gaskin. Best preparation I could have done. I knew what was happening to me was normal, and not to be afraid, which was a big thing in my first labour, I felt powerless and afraid. My midwife second time round was very pro active birth and really helped me achieve that, being very hands off except for a few suggested position changes. It was a fabulous birth and one I hope ot replicate this time round. Preparation and belief in yourself are key I think (and yes, a little luck too)

weevilswobble Thu 06-Oct-11 19:26:24

Me! My gorgeous DD2 was born in the 'natural birthing suite' Bean bag delivery on my knees, had wanted homebirth, but GP didnt allow, being so old at 30! Midwife based at GPs surgery looked after me before, during and after, so lucky she wasnt off duty that day. Baby was a bit congested and needed a little bit of assistance, but a good experience all round. Shes just started secondary school!

weevilswobble Thu 06-Oct-11 19:29:06

Fuckity. Exactly SNAP! I had bad first experience coz i put myself in their hands, second time i prepared myself as though i would do it by myself, took total responsibilty for knowing everything! I wss in control the second time!

MrsHuxtable Thu 06-Oct-11 19:46:36

I've also read Ina May. I wish I lived close to her grin!
So the consensus so far seems to be (apart from a little luck), being well prepared and trusting yourself. Also having a supportive midwife on the day!

chinateacup Thu 06-Oct-11 19:55:51

Yes I did with DS1. In fact I hadn't really considered the pool and it was positively encouraged. I gave birth in the water too. Had such a great experience I have just had DS2 waterbirth at a MLU.

I should confess that the reason I went in the pool with DS1 was because my early labour had been long and I was so desperate for some pain relief that when they said I could gave some gas and air when I got there, that was the deal sealed ... Guess I may have just been lucky the pro-interventionists weren't on duty that night!

Hungrydragon Thu 06-Oct-11 20:01:01

Yes I had a water VBAC with DD. Got there, got in pool and delivered dd in the pool. No pain relief at all all, it was brilliant as was my MW (who told the Consultant who was meant to be there to bugger of and leave us to it as he was getting on my tits grin)

laluna Thu 06-Oct-11 20:03:56

I work in a maternity unit which currently undertakes approx 5000 births a year. Within the trust approx 65% of all births are normal so it is very possible! Personally had two very straight forward normal deliveries whete I work - as a midwife I think I had fairly realistic expectations and kept an open mind.

Haribojoe Thu 06-Oct-11 20:27:58

Yes with DS2. No examination, TENS and then birthing pool for pain relief, and physiological third stage.

For me the key was listening to natal hypnotherapy CD religiously from about 28 weeks.

littone Thu 06-Oct-11 21:39:00

Yes - with both my children

DS - labour started at 6am, went into hospital at 9pm, delivered at 11.20pm

DD - labour started at 10pm, went into hospital at 6am, delivered at 7.20am

Also used natal hypnotherapy CDs, TENS and only examined once on arrival to delivery suite. The CD's did help me feel confident that I could do it. Also had a particularly helpful midwife for DD who was great at getting me to breathe through my contractions when I started to get a bit paniced during transition.

griphook Thu 06-Oct-11 23:59:00

har ds in birthing centre, no gas or air, until stiching. Luck plays a massive part, but don't fight your body, it knows what it is doing, iyswim

hazchem Fri 07-Oct-11 12:18:53

i arrived at the delivery suite at 9and a bit cms. i think that really helped.
i also had my mum with me who has been a support person at 30 or so births and i found the reassurance from her very helpful.

SoylentClean Fri 07-Oct-11 12:27:41

I have had two natural births in hospital. One in a labour ward and one in a birthing centre. I preferred the birthing centre but both were fine. I had gas and air for the actual birth and paracetamol in the active labour. I reallt didn't want any intervention because I am a big wuss and was hoping I would be lucky, I was and the births were straight forward.

I had read a bit before hand, so I knew the different stages of birth and the characteristics of those stages so I felt like I knew what was happening. I won't say it wasn't scary, especially the first time, because no book or CD really prepares you but at least I had some idea.

mrszimmerman Fri 07-Oct-11 12:30:15

No, two births, both induced (I'd gone over 10 days after due date), try try try, if you want a natural birth NOT to be induced if you can avoid it.
My body wasn't ready, and I genuinely believe if they'd waited another day or so I might have gone into natural labour but hell you neve know and I'm glad I've got two healthy children.
Hospitals are driven by statistics, you can't blame the staff, it's a religion for them.

fedupwithdeployment Fri 07-Oct-11 12:44:38

Yes. DS2. I was begging for an epidural, but he arrived quite easily and naturally. All went well and I went home soon after.

raindroprhyme Fri 07-Oct-11 12:45:50

yes 3 over a period of 10 years

An0therName Fri 07-Oct-11 12:49:43

yes - VBAC -also read Ina May and had a friend with me as a sort of doula as well as DH - did have monitoring and tore
was quite close to having forceps as long pushing stage - the midwife kept telling the doctors not to come in - think it was an incentieve for me to get on with it
Luck does play quite a part in it - as in the support you get

TheBloodCountessBathory Fri 07-Oct-11 12:53:22

I had a water birth and it was intervention free. I did use gas and air though, so I guess it wasn't a natural birth (?). I think I would have managed fine without the gas and air but I was very glad to have it!!

seeker Fri 07-Oct-11 12:58:57

"I'm wondering. I'd like to hear some positive and lovely birth stories. Has anyone on here managed to have a natural and intervention free birth at hospital?
If so, was it hard to get it?"

Not sure what you mean? I think most people only have the interventions are necessary or which they ask for. Trouble is, those aren't the dramatic stories you hear about!

Catslikehats Fri 07-Oct-11 13:01:08

What do you mean by natural?

Francagoestohollywood Fri 07-Oct-11 13:04:11

Yes, I did have a lovely birth at hospital. I did use a bit of gas & air, does it count?

enjoyingscience Fri 07-Oct-11 13:06:27

yes, one examination, lovely quick active birth with tens and nothing else. Midwife was very hands off, and just let me get on with it (which was exactly what I wanted). They made a point of reading through my birth plan on arrival, and seemed to take it seriously. At no point did I have to argue for any of the things I asked for, and I felt in control and relaxed as a result.

An0therName Fri 07-Oct-11 13:08:51

I would define "natural" - as vagainal birth no forceps, ventuse, and prob no epidural, and probably no pethadine -is that what you meant op
there are downsides to all of those interventions - although of course many of them don't bother lots of people - although I would imagine most people would want to avoid forceps, and those who in labour probably ideally don't want a section.

hanahsaunt Fri 07-Oct-11 16:40:13

Yes and no. I've had 4.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now