Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Induction and waterbirth

(7 Posts)
lookout Tue 04-Oct-11 20:52:31

Just wondered has anyone been induced and gone on to labour in water? I am booked for induction on saturday due to obstetric cholestasis, and have done a lot of research, which points to water being available as a form of pain relief if contractions start after the first intervention (ie pessary/gel) and continuous monitoring is not required.

Has anyone any experience of this?

BornToFolk Tue 04-Oct-11 21:04:38

I was induced at 42 weeks (for no other reason than I was 42 weeks!) and was not allowed to use the pool. Once I'd been induced, I was under consultant care and only women under midwife care were able to use the pool. I was also monitored constantly from induction to birth and I don't know how this would have been managed if I was in a pool.

I'm sure that policies differe from hospital to hospital though so best to check with yours.

GeneralDisarray Tue 04-Oct-11 21:24:26

I was induced and told I couldn't have a water birth but I'm pretty sure thats because my waters broke early - hopefully someone more knowledgable will be along shortly

lookout Tue 04-Oct-11 21:27:47

Thanks. I get that if you have to be constantly monitored then water is out of the question! Just wondered if anyone had managed to water and induction, really.

laluna Tue 04-Oct-11 21:34:54

Hi

Obstetric cholestasis is an indication for continuous electric fetal monitoring in addition to the use of prostaglandins for induction.

Tonksforthememories Tue 04-Oct-11 21:37:04

I was induced with all 3 DC, but laboured and gave birth in water with DD1.
DD2 and DS were on the drip so i wasn't allowed with them.

Not sure about with Obstetric cholestasis though.

lookout Wed 05-Oct-11 08:39:06

Thanks for the replies. Tonks, good to know it is possible to be induced and labour in water, and laluna, I wasn't aware of that, so thanks. I will be asking on saturday anyway and will see what they say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now