Talk

Advanced search

Things to help with Transition?

(9 Posts)
MummyMellie Tue 04-Oct-11 20:15:48

During labour with DC1 I found transition really scary (DC was prem so hadn't been to any antenatal classes, hadn't a clue what was happening etc!), so with DC2 I was far more organised and had DP all primed to give me Chamomillia to help me through. Is there anything else that anyone found helpful at transition?

hormonesnomore Tue 04-Oct-11 21:27:14

I've given birth three times and wasn't aware of transition. Can I ask how you recognise it and I'll try to remember if there was anything I did apart from screaming and swearing that may have helped?

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 04-Oct-11 21:31:04

I was sick both times, had absolute feeling of hopelessness. Second time was better as recognised it more for what it was.

DH was good at reminding me that I could do this and that wanting to puke and feeling terrified was a good sign that the baby was soon to arrive...

pootlebug Wed 05-Oct-11 09:38:01

I think recognising that it is transition and it is horrid helps a lot. First time I felt weird, wondered if I needed to push, wasted lots of energy trying to push when not really ready etc. 2nd time being aware what was happening helped.

I still think it's the worst bit though. And as pp said, the throwing up is a sign that we're nearly there for me!

FannibalLecter Wed 05-Oct-11 12:07:47

MummyMellie, how did you use the Chamomilla? Is it the drops you take a bit like Rescue Remedy to calm you down? I'm 38+3 and am trying to find some tips for transition as well. Cold wet flannels were a suggestion at my antenatal class, not sure how much these will help though, it sounds bloody awful!

dooscooby Wed 05-Oct-11 15:17:06

Just dipping my toe into the childbirth thread as now nearly 29 weeks and decided it's time to start learning about the scary bits. Had my first antenatal class last week and transition was the bit that scared me the most - I get anxiety attacks and it sounds like a really bad one of those complete with pain and everything else. I suppose knowing it's coming and will pass might be a good thing, although I'm scared I'll be dreading it the whole way through and that I'll just go completely crazy and they'll have to strap me to the bed!

MummyMellie Wed 05-Oct-11 22:28:29

Hi FannibalLecter, I bought the soft tablets from Ainsworths - they dissolve instantly in the mouth. The best thing about them was that as soon as DH gave them to me I thought "aaagh, that's why this bit is so horrid, I'm in Transition" and somehow that made it all much better! I also got him to give me arnica tabs, I think having something else to think about, realising that someone else knew what was going on, and feeling that I had a few tricks to get me through it all helped!
Dooscooby - you CAN do this, and the more you and your DP know about it in advance the more prepared you'll be and the better you'll cope. I think the worst bit about transition is that it creeps up on you without you realising and you suddenly feel awful, so if your DP is on the ball and can keep an eye out for you to let you know when you are there it is mighty helpful! There is quite good info about it on the NCT website.

FannibalLecter Thu 06-Oct-11 11:54:12

MummyMellie, this sounds like a good strategy, I reckon I'll get some Chamomillia or something similar on that recommendation. Thank you very much!

dooscooby Thu 06-Oct-11 11:58:50

Thanks mummymellie - I've taken a look at the nct page and sent to dh so he knows a bit more about it. I'm trying to do more positive affirmation stuff so I feel more confident about it - thanks for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now