Talk

Advanced search

Ragged membranes & blood loss

(5 Posts)
tiokiko Mon 03-Oct-11 11:36:13

I'm 39w PG with DC2 and have just found my hospital discharge notes from giving birth to DD 3 yrs ago.

Not sure why I have never seen these before, they were tucked in with lots of other bits of paperwork and I obviously didn't find them at the time.

One of the notes says that I had 450ml blood loss and ragged membranes - does anyone know whether either of these is likely to cause problems this time round? I have had a quick search and see that ragged membranes could cause infection but I had no problems.

I don't think 450ml is particularly high blood loss, or is it?

tiokiko Mon 03-Oct-11 16:48:45

Bump - anyone have any ideas about this?

CombineArvester Mon 03-Oct-11 16:53:32

Show the notes to your midwife at next appointment and see what she thinks. Blood loss I think under 500ml is normal, I had 200ml considered relatively low. It's all a massive guess though anyway.

Doesn't ragged membranes mean some, er, bits might have been retained? Did you have a lot of bleeding / clots when you went home? Def something to check with MW.

tiokiko Mon 03-Oct-11 18:51:26

Thanks - yes, will definitely ask MW but my next appt isn't until next week. Am being curious in the meantime just in case it stops me being low risk this time round.

No clots or heavy bleeding after I was home last time, and nobody ever mentioned it so assume it wasn't that big a deal.

BadDayAtTheOrifice Mon 03-Oct-11 19:35:47

Nothing to worry about. Blood loss less than 500ml fine. Ragged membranes just means the midwives couldnt definately say they were all present at birth and to monitor that all was well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now